PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 June 2016 at 8:50AM
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Well, Softstuff, I would go for a lover down the garden over drains any day. If you get a move on you might even reach him before the week is up and you can make whoopee before the water reaches you.

x

Oh, well spotted Monnagran! I didn't notice that one :rotfl:

burtha just seen your post. Huge congrats to your DH running all that way and to both of you for raising so much money! :T :j :beer:

mar I hate the long dark nights! But admit that nights as short as you're having must be a bit trying. I actually like my bedroom quite light, so we've got quite thin curtains.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't find a lover in the garden, but I did give my landscaper a hug. He didn't charge us more than quoted for the original job, despite us having changed a bit and added a bit of work on to his original quote. He said I'd taken care of him and the guys, so he'd take care of us. All I did was cuppa and cake, which I thought was the bare minimum for hard working guys. I guess I make good cake :o

We have the opposite problem here Mardatha. The other evening I got all ready for bed and then looked at the clock, it was only 7pm! It'd been dark for so long it felt very much later . Hope you manage to get a good night's sleep soon.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    softstuff That's really nice to hear (re the landscaper) :) Happy gardening!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Oh, well spotted Monnagran! I didn't notice that one :rotfl:

I think she's been getting lessons from Hester.And I thought she was a good girl :A
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Softstuff

I do bacon butties and tea for the builders or a cold meat roll with mini pork pie if it is a warm day. By the time they had replaced two bathroom, ripped out a wall to make a master bedroom downstairs, ripped out a wall so I had a big kitchen diner space and are working on the new kitchen they feel like family and are quite protective of me bless them.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Burtha - huge congratulations to DH - hope he's recovering!!
    Mardatha - if fleece is too heavy to pin to your curtains a cheap dark sheet would help. TBH DH & I sleep with the curtains open all year, I've got used to it - it's just the birds that wake me about 4.30!
    Monna - I'm sure you and your family will find a way, sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees. I came across this the other day and it seemed appropriate.

Just for today trust that morning will break through the darkness, have faith that a bright new dawn awaits and know that you are kept in loving thoughts always.

I think it's something that could apply to any of us. xxxx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've got Ikea blackout curtains but we never close them and the way they hang it's a bit of a hassle to get them to close - so I just moan at you lot instead lol
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations Burtha to your DH and you for raising all that money. I think you are both wonderful.

I have black out curtains in my bedroom but they are so stiff the light comes in round the edges. I don't think you can safety pin them to the wall. It makes no difference whether it is dark or not there are two great big security lights out the back of the building. They both shine in through my window.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nursemaggie

Would double sided sticky tape help to anchor them?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind comments. Softstuff, I will not have you comparing me to the PVC wearing strumpet. Just for your information, I am indeed very, very, very good. And modest with it.

Well, my beautifully clean and tidy house lasted for about 20 seconds after my lovely family arrived home. Bless them.
    Actually it is very sad because my DIL had a phone call as they left the airport to say that her mother, who had been complaing about back ache after an exercise class, had suddenly lost all feeling below her waist and couldn't stand or walk. The GP had her whisked into hospital where they discovered a secondary cancer on her spinal cord. She is having an operation today to remove the growth and then they have to find the primary and see if it has spread anywhere else.

Not a happy homecoming and very shocking as all this went from twinges in the back to paralysis and cancer in a couple of days. Naturally my DIL is devastated and all we can do is to be there to pick up the pieces. I like to be more proactive than that but it is a waiting game.

Sometimes I think that there is just too much sadness in the world and the silver lining seems to be very elusive.

Never mind. Chin up, etc.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts