Best place to buy cabin luggage for Ryanair.

Options

Comments

• leonravenhall
    Options
    after seeing this thread I went and purchased a argos bag, did you find it was ok? I just was a little worried as including the wheels and handle it seems about 2cm to high... I just dont want to get caught out
  • suemt4711
    Options
    Hi, I've just found a website for which I can't post a link here, but google flylite and you will find it. It sells trolley cases to Ryanair's specifications, very reasonable price too! I've been told by a frequent Ryanair traveller that if you're carrying hand luggage you don't go near anyone with scales, so if your case is the correct size and does not look like it is bulging it shouldn't normally be weighed. Happy holidays!
  • evilgiraf
    evilgiraf Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amazon Product Numberr: B003Q2PQRG

Technical Details
    * TELESCOPIC HANDLE & STRONG DURABLE WHEELS
    * QUALITY HAND LUGGAGE
    * 2 YEAR MANUFACTURERS GUARANTEE
    * SIZE: 55 / 40 / 20 cm.
    * VOLUME; 46.00L ,WEIGHT; 1.8KG
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just bought a bag for £9.99 (+3.50 P&P) from eBay. The bag is of the exact dimensions for Ryanair (55x40x20) and weighs just 710g (I weighed it myself). No wheels (just four plastic feet) but that keeps down the weight and maximises storage capacity (44 litres).

It is definitely the cheapest bag full-sized bag I could find but it appears to be well-made from water-resistant polyester material. There is a full width twin nylon-zip opener at the top and a handy full width twin nylon-zip pocket at the front to store travel documents, magazine etc. The use of two zips means it is possible to lock the bag, but no locks are provided. There is also no luggage label but one could be easily attached.

There is an over-the-shoulder adjustable/removable strap and two carrying handles, which are held together by a comfortable velcro hand hold. Inside there is only one compartment, but this saves on weight and increases storage space. You can even save a little more weight by removing the shoulder strap, the internal base and the makers badge!

The bag bears the name SANPOINTS (London) and the wholesalers are KELLY LIMITED (London) but you will need to buy from a retailer, such as this one on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/board-carry-bag-hand-luggage-flight-holdall-/320567608109?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&hash=item4aa351832d#ht_939wt_1137
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 980 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i've brought a holdall at debenhams Tripp make.
    slightly smaller than the 55x40x20cm when compared to the measurement stated i think they go by the base template, while the holdall does expand bigger in all directions. be careful you can fit holdalls in those checking cages.
  • orangebucket
    Options
    I travelled Ryanair from Bournemouth last week. I tried my bag in the Ryanair cages at the check-in expecting it to be a tight fit (it was a soft bag that was slightly over in two dimensions but could be compressed to bring it in line). In fact it fitted in ridiculously easily. Indeed I would estimate the cages are about 5 cm bigger in every dimension than Ryanair's quoted limits. The cages say that if your bag fits then you can take it on board and Ryanair tell you to check your hand luggage using those cages if in doubt, so I can't really see how they could then raise an objection at the gate even if you are oversize. They can't have it both ways, though I guess they'd have a good try...

The cages at the gates looked the same size and there were a few of the cardboard boxes around too. There were absolutely no checks on hand luggage size and some of the cases I saw carried on board were ridiculously big, looking a good 35 cm in their smallest dimension. Not only that but handbags weren't required to be put into hand luggage. It was a bit annoying actually as I made a determined effort to play by the rules.

As an aside, passports weren't checked to see if they matched the passengers faces, let alone the details submitted at check-in, so it wasn't a particularly thorough operation. Just to add to the irritation the passengers in the priority queue might have been led to the plane first (taking it on trust the others would wait) but they were still queuing for the front steps while non priority passengers boarded at the back. Still Malaga had no priority queue at all, just first come first served (it may vary between flights, we were bussed to the plane from the oldest gates, whereas another Ryanir plane was connected by airbridge in the newest ones).

At Bournemouth there is a sign up saying that Ryanair allow you to take on one carrier bag containing items purchased airside in addition to your one item of hand luggage but presumably that might not be the case elsewhere.
  • chrismitchell
    Options
    Bought one from ebay, £9.99 + P&P, exact dimensions, seems fairly sturdy and lightweight at 770gms. Only taking hand luggage to gran canaria so needed baggage to maximise contents.... if only I could persuade my 2 daughters to do the same I'd have saved £80 more.
    Now fingers crossed they dont strike.....
    Tried to post a link to this on ebay but the system wont let me. Item number on ebay is 320569125000.
    Hope this helps someone.
  • mess0804
    mess0804 Posts: 588 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2010 at 9:15PM
    Options
    I have something similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Perfect-hand-luggage-wheels-Ryanair-Easyjet-55-40-20-/260643788362?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA it has wheels and it's very light, payed £10 from a local shop... I was looking here to buy something for hubby ... but will probably get the same even if he doesn't like it.

something like this looks ok http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carry-Suitcase-Cabin-Case-Hand-Luggage-Flight-Bag-/390226848905?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&var
  • janbabe
    Options
    well we're gonna book with Ryanair and debating whether to take maybe one suitcase and two hand luggage to help minimise. Its for one week and I seem to always take a lot of toiletries :o for some reason so will cut back this time. We have one cabin bag which fits the measurements but it does weigh nearly 3kg!!

Thought about taking two soft holdalls if we can find some but of course usually have to carry these as have no wheels.

We dont want to pay a lot for a cabin bag as a lot are around £20 at least so checking in another case is not a lot more, especially if we dont do lots of short trips.

Going from Bristol so anyone know how strict they are from here? And is priority boarding worth it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure