4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Options

Comments

• trigger_mike
    trigger_mike Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    The idea of bull bars was for Australian road trains, because of the long distances they travel across the country, they used to hit a lot of kangaroos so they fitted 'Roo Bars', then they started fitting them to 4x4 in Australia and eventually started to get them over here, god know why though, don't get many Kangaroo's in england.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You never know Mike, one may escape from Chester Zoo :eek: Then more fool us that don't have them :rolleyes:
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Loads of wallabies in Derbyshire - they're even signposted on the M1
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    I do know what A bull bar is thank you, I mean from the base of the bumper to the bonnet, so if you know what they are then yes we are.

When I say they are at head height I mean my sons head is around the bottom of the bar and my brothers is at the top, either way they get hit full on.

And no I wouldn't be happy for them to stay on the road, I have no problem with them being used by the people that actually need the offroad abilities and use them for that reason, not people busying around town and have never let the car even see a field.

So your son's head islevel with the base of the bullbar ie the bumper that would be there anyway... and if the same on a van.
    Hey, let's ban all vans until your son can grow a bit taller.

Remember my earlier post - you can rattle all you like. You ain't going to get them banned :-)
  • trigger_mike
    trigger_mike Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Options
    You used to see little minis with ball bars, what was that all about???
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    You used to see little minis with ball bars, what was that all about???
    So they didn't hurt their noses when they tumbled over.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    110frankie wrote:
    So your son's head islevel with the base of the bullbar ie the bumper that would be there anyway... and if the same on a van.
    Hey, let's ban all vans until your son can grow a bit taller.

Remember my earlier post - you can rattle all you like. You ain't going to get them banned :-)
    If he was going to get hit by a car I would rather it be a plastic bumper than a great big bar of steel :rolleyes:

I never said I was going to get them banned, I said I wanted them banned, have you even read this thread, I dont remember any of us saying we have the power to do this :rolleyes:
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    110frankie wrote:
    one foot in width?
    Are we discussing the same thing?
    And I think you should get medical advice if a 5 yr old and a 9 yr old are the same height .
    BTW, are you saying that if bullbars are banned you'd be happy to see all the 4x4s stay on the road?

A little light reading maybe.. http://www.fiafoundation.com/policy/road_safety/policy_monitor/pm_22032005.html

I should know I used to be with the VBRA.

Ive seen flesh and hair and teeth buried into 4x4s maybe a look
    at what Ive seen may sway the arguement somewhat..
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    waster wrote:
    Secondly, how many of these accidents cause fatal or very serious injuries? Again, probably not a significant percentage? Although I agree the potential is currently higher.
    Please see below - the significant percentage increases a lot
    110frankie wrote:
    Bullbars kill children because they are head height?

so all children are the same height?
    110frankie wrote:
    Oh, I see.
    First of all the argument against bullbars is that they are at the height of a child's head.
    Then when that argument is shown for the silly statement that it is, you change it around.

Well thought out debate this. Innuendo, personal bias...
    How's this one then.

Actually, it appears to be you that is attempting to reduce the standard of discussion to personal insult.

It is quantifiable fact that tests show that the design of vehicles with crumple zones to be more safe to pedestrians and passengers in a collision has actually worked.

It is also published that the bars on the front, designed as trigger_mike said to prevent kangaroo collisions stranding you miles from anywhere, very severely prejudice these safety measures. I won't quote the actual figures without looking them up, but my memory is that in an impact at survivable speeds, the odds of survival are reduced by a factor of around 10.

If you really want to be unpopular, continue to callously portray people that are aleady aware of this, both intuitively or actually having seen similar test results, as unthinking snobs and idiots.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Other vehicles are banned from some town centres at certain times - lorries may deliver to shops only out of hours for example, so it is not unprecedented to have some restrictions

The reassuring feeling that some of these 4x4 drivers have when on the motorway is rather removed when the back of their vehicle is so high that they cannot park without reversing into a small car that they don't even see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure