PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling without Estate Agent

Options

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Then there's a pretty good chance your asking price was too low and you missed out on thousands.
    Possibly, but the sale price was 30% higher than when we bought it a year earlier.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2017 at 3:53PM
    Options
    TheGame21 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any experience of selling a house without an estate agent? We are thinking of doing this however just wanted to see how the process went for anyone who has been in a similar position?

A lot will depend on the type of property you are selling, and the market conditions where the property is located.

I would say that finding a buyer is frequently the easy bit, getting from the point where a price is agreed to completion day can be the hard part.

The question to ask yourself is, will an EA be able to find a buyer who is prepared to pay more than the cost of the EAs fees for the house than you are yourself?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most people only look on Rightmove these days, so unless you can get your house on there without an agent, you'll be missing most of your potential buyers I'd have thought.

I understand it's impossible to put a house on any of the major portals without an agent of some kind.

The internet has changed the whole ball game. Back in the day when I advertised my house inside a regional hospital, the local paper scarcely had a wider catchment than it did. The paper was the main place that people looked for houses.

Individuals as well as agents advertised houses in the paper then, so a private sale was nothing unusual. Now, it's less usual and even a trifle 'odd.'
  • Realopinion
    Realopinion Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2017 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Pros:

1. You can save on the cost of agent fees

2. You get to market your own property (do your own viewings as no one knows your home as much as you do)

3. You home is more secure - no issues during viewings when you aren't there

Cons:

1. Buyers and sellers can create non-binding verbal agreements which would normally flow through their solicitors

2. You may be inexperienced selling your own home.

3. You can't list on Rightmove or Zoopla

There's quite a bit to think about but hope the above helps.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've written about this recently but here are some pros and cons I thought of:

<snip>

It sounds like you might be doing a comparison of 'online' EAs versus 'high street' EAs.

The OP wants to sell their property with no EA at all.
  • fromtheshires
    Options
    I can only see this working through someone wanting to sell, someone wanting to buy in the area and them having a mutual friend. Without this, I cant think of anywhere to get suitable screen space to advertise

Once a price as been agreed, its as simple as passing it to the solicitors to deal with like normal and no EA telling porkies to both parties
  • Realopinion
    Options
    Once a price as been agreed, its as simple as passing it to the solicitors to deal with like normal and no EA telling porkies to both parties

I can see what you mean as estate agents can get a bad reputation for bad practices, however they can serve a purpose as buyers and sellers talking between each other can cause problems - although it can be a good thing.

I think there is an issue where they agree certain things between them, don't agree it through their solicitor and then one party is left upset if what was agreed isn't the case.

Worth thinking about.
  • Realopinion
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    It sounds like you might be doing a comparison of 'online' EAs versus 'high street' EAs.

The OP wants to sell their property with no EA at all.

I amended my post when I re-read the question but there are similarities to think about as in theory, most online agents aren't physically there after you find a buyer so the seller and the buyer are left to get on with it.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Do people genuinely think this is what happens?

What possible purpose does it serve?

There's a great many sales that wouldn't go through to completion if there wasn't a half-decent agent involved to keep things moving along.

I am by no means disputing that there are some fairly rubbish EAs out there, but they're part of a minority, albeit a larger minority than ideal!

Most solicitors have too many cases on at any one time, 150 ongoing files is quite normal, and don't have enough time to be chasing people up all day. Most buyers and sellers go through the process so infrequently that they haven't got a great idea what they should be doing.

It is not as simple as you are suggesting.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    How do people buy something that they don't know is for sale?

It has been know for would-be buyers to leaflet the street(s) of their choice asking if anyone's thinking of selling. They hope that someone selling privately would ask a bit less since they're not paying EA fees, and that they might get first dibs at houses not yet on the market (like Phil & Kirsty seem to be able to!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure