Just passed advice needed

Just passed my test I'm 36 never needed to drive in past but need it for work.
Was looking at getting a 2nd hsnd yaris for 1500-2000 on a 0% purchase card.
I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance.

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it?

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance?
Basically I'm pretty clueless.
Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Make sure it's not rear brakes apparently not all Yaris' have.
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    J

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it?

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance?

You insure it before you pick it ip.
  • weeowens
    I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance.

Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times
    Some reviews on here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

The Yaris has a good reputation.

Re diesel if your mileage is low it may not benefit cost wise plus lots of short journeys are not good for diesels.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Unless you are doing big mileage get a petrol. The Yaris is a nice little car. Pretty reliable.

You have to insure it before you drive it home so get some quotes as you might be surprised at how dear it can be.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you buy a car from a dealer, they quite often offer you a "free insurance" thing, where they give you a few days' insurance for free, hoping you'll then continue with their company and they'll trouser a commission.

Else, you phone up and get it insured before you drive off the forecourt.

Else, you find somebody else who is insured for "any car" and get them to drive it home for you.

Else, if the place isn't far from home (say 1-2 miles) ask if they'll drop it off to your home.
  • weeowens

Else, you find somebody else who is insured for "any car" and get them to drive it home for you.

Else, if the place isn't far from home (say 1-2 miles) ask if they'll drop it off to your home.
    Only good if you then SORN it:
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

Quote;

You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.
    You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.
    If not, you could:
    • get a fixed penalty of £100
    • have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
    • face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000
    It doesn’t matter who is driving the car - if you’re the registered keeper, you could get penalised.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:58AM
    I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance. Yaris is decent, if uninspired choice. You could do a lot worse on reliability and economy. Insurance will be much the same for similar cars. You don't say where you are in the country so actual premiums are impossible to predict but you should budget for at least £500 if you live in the sticks to a few thousand if you are in a high risk area. Your age will help but your lack of experience and no-claims record will count against you.

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it? Comparison websites. Look at taking increased excess or adding an experienced driver as a named driver, even if they will never drive the car.

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance? You arrange it beforehand.
    Basically I'm pretty clueless.
    Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times Petrol is definitely the way to go for your usage. You'll soon get used to driving a different car.

Thanks for any advice

Welcome to the never ending resource drain that is vehicle ownership :cool:.

Good luck and happy motoring.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance. Most of that will depend on what kind of life the car has had so far. It is almost impossible to predict future liability of a used car.

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance? You don't!
    Basically I'm pretty clueless. Based on the above question, I would agree :-o
    Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times You will soon get used to the difference.

Thanks for any advice

• Congrats on passing!
  • Appreciate the help and advice.
    Cheapest insurance quotes are about 1000 so pretty steep
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business