Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

Options

Comments

• cashewnut
    cashewnut Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Zephyr, I think that's lovely! Many congratulations to you and your OH :D
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations Zephyr!

The proposal made me :rotfl:

Make you get a ring to seal the deal ;)
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    To those who are waiting, there is hope. OH proposed last April and we get married next month.

Never say never x
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations Zephyr! That is so lovely that you are getting married on the anniversary of meeting.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    I thought I would pop on to let you all know that my other half proposed a week and a half ago!

It was a wonderful day, a proposal that was very personal to us, and a stunning ring which I still can't believe is mine! Even more so the words he said before he proposed were so lovely and heartfelt. Definitely a memory I will treasure! And since he proposed he has been excited helping with the planning and calling me his fianc! at every opportunity, which is lovely and a little unexpected! We want to get married next year so it is systems a go go now!

It was definitely worth the wait.... I hope it isn't long till you are all graduating the thread too! :)
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    I've just stumbled upon this thread and I think this may be the best place to post my thoughts.

I'm a guy and I'm 26. I've been seeing my GF for over a year and for the past few months, she's told me and everyone else that's desperate for me to propose!! Wow, wow, wow - calm down! I won't be pressured in to something as huge as a proposal. We don't live together and in my eyes, it's still early days. I do feel the pressure though and I hate it when she brings it up as I don't want to hurt her feelings as if it'll never happen because it will at some point.

Her friends are worse. They've told her that that they'll split up with their partners if they haven't been proposed to by a certain date! Bonkers in my eyes.

Am I missing something, what's the rush?
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just stumbled upon this thread and I think this may be the best place to post my thoughts.

I'm a guy and I'm 26. I've been seeing my GF for over a year and for the past few months, she's told me and everyone else that's desperate for me to propose!! Wow, wow, wow - calm down! I won't be pressured in to something as huge as a proposal. We don't live together and in my eyes, it's still early days. I do feel the pressure though and I hate it when she brings it up as I don't want to hurt her feelings as if it'll never happen because it will at some point.

Her friends are worse. They've told her that that they'll split up with their partners if they haven't been proposed to by a certain date! Bonkers in my eyes.

I think you need to be honest with your girlfriend and tell her that although you aren't saying you won't ever propose it's still early days and set out where you would need to be in order to propose (ie. you'd want to live together for a few years first or whatever it is). Maybe if everyone else is telling her it should happen that she's got it in her head that it might, much better to let her know it won't in the near future.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I'm a guy and I'm 26. I've been seeing my GF for over a year and for the past few months, she's told me and everyone else that's desperate for me to propose!! Wow, wow, wow - calm down! I won't be pressured in to something as huge as a proposal. We don't live together and in my eyes, it's still early days.

You don't have to live together before you propose. My wife didn't move in with me until after we were married.

One of my wife's friends had mapped out a strict timeline for the rest of her life and gave her long term boyfriend a marriage ultimatum. He departed stage left. This knocked her for six and she took a couple of years to get over it. By then the timeline had marched on a bit and to get things back on track with the first baby born by the set date, she rushed out and married some bloke she hardly knew. The baby was born six months later (on time). Unfortunately, things went downhill from there. She is now a divorced single mother.
  • mai_taylor
    Options

No rush but I knew my OH was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with from about 6 months maybe before, so way wait? Sound like you're not too sure about the relationship to be honest.
  • zoesmummy_2006
    Options
    I think I need to join this thread! I've been with my boyfriend 2 years, and in the last couple weeks he's mentioned that he was talking engagement rings with his dad, we watched great British bake off (an old one) and they were making wedding cakes....he said I have to make ours, that he wants a huge layered Victoria sponge and that he will happily only eat my cake for the rest of his life. Well it's my birthday today, he'd said a couple weeks back that he'd thought about booking us a couple nights away, then said too expensive. Then we were lay in bed last night and he was telling me how happy he is and how happy I make him. We were going to go out this evening, he had me organise my sister to babysit. Then he's changed his mind on that so we're currently sat on the sofa watching the soaps. We've been bowling with the kids for my birthday. Don't get me wrong, it's been a lovely day. But it just seems to have been a letdown, after all the wedding talk recently I had honestly thought he might propose. And now I feel silly cos I feel like crying and like it's really just been another day and not at all what I had hoped. He keeps asking me if I'd had a nice day and I keep saying yes, which is true I have, but it's just not turned into the day I thought/hoped. I even paid for the bloody bowling myself!!!
    I just feel like he's never gonna commit fully. Sorry I'm just feeling very sorry for myself I guess ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure