Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• allmannerofthings
    Options
    The copper bath sounds gorgeous......:)

I'm a new MFW, just having a look at the diaries and introducing myself :D

I like your monthly targets, what a good idea! I might adopt that myself if you don't mind.
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Watched the second episode of Rich House, Poor House. "Rich" family were awfully boorish and rough. "Poor" mother seemed to lack an education and I was shaking my head every time she said "brought" rather than "bought" but her heart seemed in the right place. :)

"Rich" family, especially the 26 year old daughter still living at home also seemed to lack an education and was unable to enunciate her words properly annoyed me. Not really sure what the "poor" family could have taken from that experience other than more money = more toys.

I was quite unimpressed by that rich family. They could have connected so much with poor family (dad from similar backgrounds, mum also a cleaner once upon a time) and instead it was all spoiled daughter realising "oh maybe I should pay attention to money a bit". Good lesson to be sure, but hardly the same as the lifestyle poor family has to deal with.
    This time around the "poor" family had £140 to spend per week after utilities / housing costs. With four children I think that's incredibly hard but with just one as the "rich" family had, I don't see why that is such a hardship. I could easily feed my family for £50, spend £40 in fuel (£20 in the LR, £20 in the MG) to last for the week (being careful about fuel usage) which would leave £50 for other things. I can quite honestly say I don't spend £50 on other things in a week now. Walking the dogs is a free activity as is washing them in this household ("rich" family had their own personal dog washer). Something I realised from this: MSE has taught me a lot about budgeting and my life is A LOT better for it. :)

On the one hand, well done for embracing budgeting. :D

On the other hand, this doesn't factor in anything beyond the week...longer term needs, unexpected council tax bills ;), any other annual bills like insurance, etc. Not to mention transport to/from work/school for everyone. (DH and I spend £80-100/week on public transport alone.)

I did find it interesting that in episode 1 the rich family (esp. dad) seemed to really take it to heart....not whinging too much about the poor family's setup (other than sympathy and/or pity at their house size/lifestyle), and actually doing little things to improve their lives after the week (mowing the lawn, getting rid of the couch, etc). They seemed very much "well this could be our life if we weren't so lucky, so make the best of it". Compare that to episode 2 folks who were just "let's get through this hellish week at Poor Summer Camp".

I may be judging them too harshly, and who knows what the rules were for the programme, but I liked rich family 1 much better than rich family 2.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    April Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.
    Make a decision re. bathroom / holiday / potential debt.

Looking like debt at the moment as this month is going to be £0 in surplus money. Spent just under £2,000 unexpected (vast majority in council tax). :eek:

Total Grocery Spend: £245/ £400.
    Surplus Money: / £800. :(
    Bed before 11.30pm: 5 / 31. This illustrates my terrible sleeping habits to me but going to bed straight after writing this.
    Meditation: 10 / 31.
    De-clutter and sell 1 / 5 items. :D £300 made but that needed to cover a proportion of the unexpected that we had to borrow from savings. :o All clear now, though.
    New Recipes: 1 / 4. Made a new stir fry recipe tonight. A bit improvised but very nice. :)
    Books (to read for pleasure): / 3. Have got back into a reading routine so this should start to go up.

Busy day today. We've been out for a lot of the day but I've managed to keep the journal routine. :)
    Alex, the guides agreed with me re spam bot as both posts have gone.

I love the idea of you turning in to an MSE Spreadsheet geek! Have you told ed? he would be proud of you I think!

Nono! don't go and put it on the card! Maybe omit the bath from your new bathroom until you have saved a bit more, if you are that passionate about it. It will spur you to save more...

I hope you are feeling better.

Take care of yourself.

Thank you, SL. :)

:rotfl: I'm not sure I can really give myself that accolade. I suppose I have spreadsheets and am updating them would be more accurate. Slowly making my way through Excel for Dummies also and learning a few things. Learning how to use a computer is helping me.

Hardly going to post something on Ed's diary about my new found skills in the hope he gives me a gold star. ;) Really grateful for the help I received a few weeks back on there when I asked for spreadsheet advice, though. :)

You're right about the potential bath issue. I hadn't thought about omitting it for a time but that could be done as we'd have the new shower. To be honest, we want to start this project soon and I think we are going to have to take on some 0% debt to get it finished before September. :o Our finances at the moment aren't fantastic but I'm hoping that the more improved spreadsheet will give me all the data I need to potentially improve that situation. Do feel I'm turning into my father with his financial diaries though. :eek:

Feeling quite a bit better today, thank you.
    The copper bath sounds gorgeous......:)

I'm a new MFW, just having a look at the diaries and introducing myself :D

I like your monthly targets, what a good idea! I might adopt that myself if you don't mind.

Welcome to MFW. :)

I think I put a link to the bath on my diary a few days ago. :)

Thanks, re. monthly targets. Unfortunately, I've very little real advice to give anyone as I am not particularly good with life in general, never mind finances.
    I was quite unimpressed by that rich family. They could have connected so much with poor family (dad from similar backgrounds, mum also a cleaner once upon a time) and instead it was all spoiled daughter realising "oh maybe I should pay attention to money a bit". Good lesson to be sure, but hardly the same as the lifestyle poor family has to deal with.

On the one hand, well done for embracing budgeting. :D

On the other hand, this doesn't factor in anything beyond the week...longer term needs, unexpected council tax bills ;), any other annual bills like insurance, etc. Not to mention transport to/from work/school for everyone. (DH and I spend £80-100/week on public transport alone.)

I did find it interesting that in episode 1 the rich family (esp. dad) seemed to really take it to heart....not whinging too much about the poor family's setup (other than sympathy and/or pity at their house size/lifestyle), and actually doing little things to improve their lives after the week (mowing the lawn, getting rid of the couch, etc). They seemed very much "well this could be our life if we weren't so lucky, so make the best of it". Compare that to episode 2 folks who were just "let's get through this hellish week at Poor Summer Camp".

I may be judging them too harshly, and who knows what the rules were for the programme, but I liked rich family 1 much better than rich family 2.

Unfortunately, some of the daughter's attitudes to money I could relate to. :o

I thought the £140 budget was after all bills? Surely that factors in council tax, insurances, road tax, maintenance of home and car etc. I didn't count petrol for Mrs. K.'s company car as she gets a fuel card, so it wouldn't needed to be counted in a weekly budget. I may have misinterpreted something from the programme but I thought both budgets were for food, petrol, clothes, leisure and nothing else?

:eek: Re. the amount you spend on public transport! I have never really used public transport but do usually spend that amount in petrol, though a lot of that is driving for driving's sake.

I had a similar impression of "rich" family 2. Honestly don't know how I'd deal with living in the two "poor" houses, or "rich" house 2 for that matter. Mind, they'd probably not be too impressed if they came here. :rotfl: It has made me think about a couple of pupils who've had lesson at my parents' house after seeing the reactions from the two "poor" families to the "rich houses", neither of which I've found anything special, on this programme. I thought the pupils / parents were joking re. their reactions to the house.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

After dinner had been served and eaten I asked if the in-laws would rather I didn't speak or go into another room so they could spend time with their daughter and grandson. I was quite surprised they wanted to spend time in my presence.

:eek::eek::eek:

Just back from my Easter break, scanning through and read this!! Oh Alex, I just can't imagine why you would even think this let alone say it. Thank goodness your in-laws dismissed the suggestion immediately. Of course they'd want to spend time with you. You're an interesting person, why else would we all want to post on your thread?:A
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    April Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.
    Total Grocery Spend: £250/ £400.
    Surplus Money: £100 / £800. :D
    Bed before 11.30pm: 5 / 31. Going to bed straight after this, my routine is getting better but before 11.30pm is proving difficult.
    Meditation: 10 / 31. Haven't meditated but have felt quite relaxed all day. :eek:
    De-clutter and sell 2 / 5 items. Another sold! I appear to have the buying / selling / antiques bug back. :p
    New Recipes: 1 / 4.
    Books (to read for pleasure): / 3. Have got back into a reading routine so this should start to go up.

Great day with Mrs. K., son and the dogs. We've been quite busy again. :)
    maman wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Just back from my Easter break, scanning through and read this!! Oh Alex, I just can't imagine why you would even think this let alone say it. Thank goodness your in-laws dismissed the suggestion immediately. Of course they'd want to spend time with you. You're an interesting person, why else would we all want to post on your thread?:A

Go anywhere nice over Easter, maman? :)

I often ask if I may speak or not. Don't honestly mind if people would rather not have interaction with me or hear my opinions and I wanted my in-laws to have a good day. If their idea of a good day meant not having to hear me or be in my presence for the whole day then I'd be happy to oblige.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Meditation: 10 / 31. Haven't meditated but have felt quite relaxed all day. :eek:
    Good grief Alex. Knowing you, that's given you something to worry about :rotfl:. Glad you're having a good break and selling is going well. Get the next thing listed, or at least ready- car maybe?
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :rotfl: It is a little disconcerting. Feel ok today too and woke before the alarm after a good amount of sleep. Do need to get that car up for sale and can think of a few other things that can go on tomorrow's list to do. Keeping up with the journaling which seems to be helping me to be productive.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Go anywhere nice over Easter, maman? :)

I often ask if I may speak or not. Don't honestly mind if people would rather not have interaction with me or hear my opinions and I wanted my in-laws to have a good day. If their idea of a good day meant not having to hear me or be in my presence for the whole day then I'd be happy to oblige.

In that case I think you must spend too much time with the wrong people. I cant imagine being in a group (other than a formal meeting) where I've ever had to ask permission to speak. Sounds like Dad's Army!:rotfl:

Spent the weekend in Cardiff. It wasn't strictly a holiday but I did get to spend some time with old friends and the art collection at the National Museum is superb.
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    I thought the £140 budget was after all bills? Surely that factors in council tax, insurances, road tax, maintenance of home and car etc. I didn't count petrol for Mrs. K.'s company car as she gets a fuel card, so it wouldn't needed to be counted in a weekly budget. I may have misinterpreted something from the programme but I thought both budgets were for food, petrol, clothes, leisure and nothing else?

I was under the impression that the £140/week was after rent and utilities, but nothing else. I'd imagine that would include council tax, but not insurance, road tax, car/house maintenance, etc. I could be mistaken though.

Glad to hear you're sounding more up-beat. :)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    April Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK. In-laws are definitely also following. They called about going to Rutland Water soon today. Son is delighted. :)
    Total Grocery Spend: £250/ £400.
    Surplus Money: £100 / £800.
    Bed before 11.30pm: 6 / 31. Definitely going to be in bed before 11.30pm this evening. I'm tired at a normal time for once and have been active for the majority of the day.
    Meditation: 11 / 31.
    De-clutter and sell 2 / 5 items.
    New Recipes: 1 / 4.

Had an active day with my wife and son, we went swimming this morning and walking with the dogs this afternoon. My parents are coming back at the end of next week and we'll be a bit sad to give their dog back. Father called today to rant about tourists and tell me all about his bad experience in a restaurant which has always been nice in the past. That 'phone call lasted for 1 1/2 hours, so I watched the third Rich House, Poor House episode. Swap between a 3rd / 4th floor flat in London and a smallholding in Essex. Londoners wanted to move away from London but I was confused by the reference to claiming housing benefit when she worked full time as a bin woman (yes, really!) as I hadn't imagined she would qualify. A few of our tenants earn c. £20,000 (which is the amount I presume she'd be earning) and are not claiming housing benefit.
    maman wrote: »
    In that case I think you must spend too much time with the wrong people. I cant imagine being in a group (other than a formal meeting) where I've ever had to ask permission to speak. Sounds like Dad's Army!:rotfl:

Spent the weekend in Cardiff. It wasn't strictly a holiday but I did get to spend some time with old friends and the art collection at the National Museum is superb.

My wife says her parents find it strange. :o I just wanted to give them a choice. My parents are quite strict about when I can express my opinion or be in their presence. The latter isn't so much an issue as my father especially seems to want to be in my presence but he is still rather strict about when I may speak.

I have never been to Cardiff but both Mrs. K. and I like art and visiting galleries. Should it be on the list for that reason? :) My wife said we should have a list of places to visit / things to do as a couple.
    I was under the impression that the £140/week was after rent and utilities, but nothing else. I'd imagine that would include council tax, but not insurance, road tax, car/house maintenance, etc. I could be mistaken though.

Glad to hear you're sounding more up-beat. :)

:eek: If that's the case then that really is a very low amount of money to live on. :(

Thank you, HiddenShadow. :) This Easter holiday seems to be good for me at the moment. We've not been awfully busy with planned activities which I'm to blame for but we're all really enjoying not doing an awful lot, to be honest. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills