PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Homemade dishwasher tablets

Options
I have recently seen a number of recipes for homemade dishwasher tablets, and thought I would try one. I hate the amount of plastic waste in the individually wrapped tabs. Not sure if it will be cheaper or not but I suspect so!

Has anyone else tried this with any success? The recipe i have found asks for bicarb of soda, salt, white vinegar, citric acid and castile soap. And if anyone knows if I can get away with liquid soap flakes (1/3 of the price) instead of castile soap, it would be much appreciated...

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you could just wash up the old fashioned way and save water as well.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We don't bother with a tablet at all..
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    you could just wash up the old fashioned way and save water as well.

I did a lot of research before buying my dishwasher - if you fill it up completely and use the eco friendly mode on an energy efficient model, it's much more water-efficient to use a dishwasher than wash by hand.

Robin9 - really? Do you find it cleans as well? I'll try it on my machine and see how it goes, I hadn't considered that but happy to eliminate tabs entirely!
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    I'm subscribing to your thread debtfreeforlife. I'm interested in what other forumites do too!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • dingdongsaving
    dingdongsaving Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2017 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Home made spray in large glass (old soda stream) bottle with screw on spray lid.

Mix of: 50/50 water & vinegar...leave a few cm at the top of the bottle and add a squirt of castille soap & 1-2 tbsp table salt.

*Load the dishwasher.
    *Shake & spray from above on bottom shelf then top shelf.
    *Shake again & spray 6-8 pumps into the 'tablet' section and close this.
    *Run as usual.
    (The liquid from the initial sprays is part of the water thet circulates in the first rinse and the liquid from the tablet section is released to circulate when the main wash water enters your machine)

Never had a spot left on anything and a lovely shine. :T
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have recently seen a number of recipes for homemade dishwasher tablets, and thought I would try one. I hate the amount of plastic waste in the individually wrapped tabs. Not sure if it will be cheaper or not but I suspect so!

Has anyone else tried this with any success? The recipe i have found asks for bicarb of soda, salt, white vinegar, citric acid and castile soap. And if anyone knows if I can get away with liquid soap flakes (1/3 of the price) instead of castile soap, it would be much appreciated...

Are you sure soap flakes are cheaper by weight? they may be now but when I was using castile soap for washing gloop it seemed more expensive but worked out cheaper
  • debtfreeforlife
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions! I'll definitely give all of your suggestions a try and then feed back.

Seakay, I suspect if I went and looked specifically for castile soap i would find it at a better price - I was trying to get it with an ethical superstore order (to avoid paying postage elsewhere) and they only had the more expensive scented type.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Am interested to know where the cheapest supply of white vinegar can be found? I have a lot of limescale to deal with :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Am interested to know where the cheapest supply of white vinegar can be found? I have a lot of limescale to deal with :o

There is nothing magical about white vinegar. Bog standard malt will do the same, but staining may occur on some delicate pale items

If just pouring down plug holes or the like use bog standard stuff
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    I use malt in the dishwasher and as softener for my clothes. Never had a problem.

I throw a handkerchief or old flannel in my washer with some essential oil dropped on it and this always makes the clothes smell lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure