Woodford Equity income

Any thought on the performance of this fund this year?
Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it

Comments

• mike88
    mike88 Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Like many I exchanges some Invesco Perp High Income Fund units for an equivalent amount in Woodford Equity Income. In the period of my ownership IP High Income has increased by 9.76% and the Woodford fund by 3.79% in the same period. Needless to say performance has been abysmal.

Also I own Woodford's Patient Capital IT which is down by 9.49%.
    Take my advice at your peril.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    1y to 21/12/16

CF Woodford: +3.6%
    FTSE All-Share Index: +18.6%
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    From the info in trustnet its sector allocation is pretty unbalanced with over 60% in just two sectors - healthcare and financials. So it has a reasonable chance of doing significantly better or significantly worse than other UK funds. This year its overall performance was pretty poor in its sector at 67 out of 77. The yield is among the worst 10% in the UK Equity Income sector and rather lower than that of the FTSE100.

So all in all a fund with little apparent reason for existance as I cant think of an investment need for which CF Woodford would be an answer - it doesnt focus on anything in particular and so isnt useful to fill gaps in a portfolio, it doesnt provide the income to justify its name and there is no obvious sign of a clear strategy in choosing investments.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All depends on the timescale you choose for comparison. Since the launch the All Share is around 13%, High Income around 17% and Woodford around 27%.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    talexuser wrote: »
    All depends on the timescale you choose for comparison. Since the launch the All Share is around 13%, High Income around 17% and Woodford around 27%.

The fund has only been going for 2 full years(2.5 years in total). The average of one very bad year and one very good year, doesnt tell us very much apart perhaps from suggesting that performance of the Woodfund fund could be a little erratic which I suggested may be the case on the basis of the funds investments.
  • I've got about 2.5k in woodford which has sat there since about April when I took a punt on the fund. I've seen £11 gain. Strangely this fund was part of the foundation list on charles stanley but was removed about a month ago. A lot of the blogs are saying woodford is positioned for long term growth so dont be looking for any big gains or falls over the next few months (who'd have guessed!)

There's heavy investment in UK equities, where we are spinning wheels waiting for a brexit reaction. Until something clear cut happens in the next year or so we won't be seeing an actively managed fund with such ingredients doing too much.
  • Woodford has a avoided commodities. Commodities crashed over a year ago and have rebounded so rather than Woodford doing poorly it is more of a case of the sectors he has avoided and has little faith in have recovered. I put 2K in at launch and I think it is still showing a 25% gain over the 2 years. 34% of My works Pension goes into a Standard life version of his fund and that has only done 1% gain over the time that has been running. That is dissapointing though but never mind the other 66% has gain 30% in the same timescale. Look again in 10 years!
    Solar PV cost £5760 (15/03/13)
    FIT inc + Electricity saved £3746 (65% Paid back) Tax free
    Last update 30/09/17
  • ArmyDilllo
    ArmyDilllo Posts: 150 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2016 at 5:51AM
    WEI is particularly exposed to businesses which took some extraordinary costs this year (fines and poor performance).
    The fund did well in its' first year but not as well since.
    Woodford has been keen to play down the funds' initial growth and stress that he is not expecting that level to be sustainable.
    As over 75% is invested in the U.K., the threat of Brexit on the value of Sterling has not helped.

I bought in on 5th May at GBP 118.34 and it's worth GBP 132.85 today.
    That's a growth rate of just 8.52% and I am aware that even this is just because the LSE is at near record levels.
    8.52% over nearly two years is a much lower return than I expect (I'm achieving +18% average growth overall, even with Woodford's fund dragging that figure down).

Even other "basic" funds have out-performed WEI.
    I am preparing to pull out and manage these monies myself in future.
    I seem to be realising much higher returns than all of my 'professionally managed' funds.
    2016 : Realised £103,000.00 savings (banked)
    2017 : Realised £97,000.00 savings (banked)
    2018 : Realised £ savings (banked)

20.4% avg annual portfolio growth since 2004.

Retired 17:30 hrs, Friday 30th September 2016, aged 56, and luvvin' it!!
    :beer:
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Where are you preparing to switch you money to? I am considering moving mine to VLS 100%
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
  • Have to agree with the last 2 posts. VLG 60% equity has been solid for the 4 years for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure