What is included in a car service?

Options

Comments

• boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    I do my own servicing, and base it on the car's handbook, but is generally - renew oil and oil filter, renew air filter. Check brake fluid level , change brake fluid every 3 years. Wheels off to check tyres for inner-edge wear, cracking/damage to the inside edge. While wheels are off check shock absorbers for leaks, check around brake hoses for damage or leaks, check springs for cracks (all just visual checks, bit of wire brushing to clean if required). Check spark plugs and clean/renew as required. Check the spare tyre (actually, I do this more often then annually, but it's always a good idea to do it). Check coolant level and concentration of anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor. A quick look around under the car for anything that obviously shouldn't be there, or should be there but isn't.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Eliza wrote: »
    Maybe so, but some of us have skills in other areas and are so busy excercising those skills that we rely on other skilled people in the same way as I wouldn't want a garage mechanic to do what I do for a living. However I'd want them to concentrate on the things that need skills, not topping up oil and screen wash, which I certainly can do myself. I would want them to check brakes for me - how do I know they're not ok? They lose power gradually over a year so I probably wouldn't notice.

And I would also like to acknowledge and give credence to a skilled mechanic and a reputable garage. We can never all be good and trained at everything.

And the MOT is being done for free, as is the pre-check. I haven't the time to fail and then go back another day, it all has to be done in one day.

However thanks for your opinion - next time I can't work out how to fix my broken kettle, I'll give up coffee.

Sorry, just realised I've risen to a bite of bait here - never mind! LOL

jeeeez, have you got a chip on your shoulder:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The bit you didn't get and that obviously offended you is that brakes don't "gradually lose power over a year", and you can tell if there is something wrong. You will hear it, feel it, and if something does go wrong you will feel the effect of it. NO skill required, just the perception that any motorist should have.

Regarding the MOT. Why do you think the pad limit is around 3mm??

Quite simply that only in exceptional circumstance will the last 3mm be worn away over the next year, ie, before the following MOT.

No one called you dumb, but if the cap fits......;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jeeeez, have you got a chip on your shoulder:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The bit you didn't get and that obviously offended you is that brakes don't "gradually lose power over a year", and you can tell if there is something wrong. You will hear it, feel it, and if something does go wrong you will feel the effect of it. NO skill required, just the perception that any motorist should have.

Regarding the MOT. Why do you think the pad limit is around 3mm??

Quite simply that only in exceptional circumstance will the last 3mm be worn away over the next year, ie, before the following MOT.

No one called you dumb, but if the cap fits......;)

Many thanks for all your advice, gratefully received. :kisses3:

Liz
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Forgot to mention one thing most of them WILL do is find as many faulty parts as possible.

Lots of people will just agree and get the work done, My car had been to them for some suspension
    work. It was noted on the paperwork that the front discs and pads needed replacing.
    That was a couple of weeks before i bought it last december and they are still fine now, Good enough to pass
    an MOT today. I asked him how bad they are said the front pads will need doing in a few thousand miles. Discs
    are fine, No deep grooves or lips.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• riche263
    Options
    an mot doesnt do more than a performance test on brakes ive seen cars pass an mot and have the front pads go metal on metal within a 1000 miles, if you was told pads and discs needed replacing the first garage may have done a proper check on them and measured the components something an mot doesnt do. you may well have had another 12 months of use from your brakes but if as an example your discs are below manufacturers minimum thicknesses they should have been changed as you are more likely to suffer brake fade in an emergency.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My MOT guy tells me the pads are getting low, And what the discs are like.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Paul_the_Painter
    Options
    Important question is what car?????

4WD petrol -Y reg - live in a rural area - could be a subaru - they require more frequent oil changes.

I would be doing a minimum of a 6 month oil and filter change followed by an annual - proper service on a car of that age. Has it ever had a cam-belt change? If the answer is "I don't know" it probably hasn't, and probably needs one.

But then I don't believe in 10,000mile+ service intervals either.

My current car needs 3000 mile oil changes, and a top up of oil every 500 - 1000 miles. My previous vehicle was every 10000 miles, but it got an oil and filter change only at 1/2 of that.
    Unless it is damaged or discontinued - ignore any discount of over 25%
  • cardinalbiggles
    Options
    I used to get mine done by the local garage, not cheap but they did do things like strip the brakes down then regrease/copperease and back together, never had a problem with them in 130k miles. They wont do that at your local dealer thats for sure.

Brother has his suzuki "serviced" by the dealer 2 sets of seized calipers and damaged disks in 4 years, that may be bad luck but it just shows that dealers have a quick look then on your way.

Moral of the story, dont trust a "service" from a dealer. What it actually means varies so much its a meaningless statement.
  • cardinalbiggles
    Options
    But then I don't believe in 10,000mile+ service intervals either.

Why not?

Modern engines and synthetic oils mean that large intervals are routine, and you wont do any good by changing more often than the manufacturers spec especially with synthetic oil.

You dont get the burr form the engine either like you used to get, while it was the case in the past (ie 70's and before) you needed to do regular oil changes its nothing like that now.

People can get a wee bit silly about this, its the dont run your fuel tank low and supermarket petrol is inferior debate.
  • EllaKeat
    EllaKeat Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Eliza,

I am a new convert to having my car serviced, and I have to say, it gives me great peace of mind to know that it is being looked after. Before anyone shouts - I did top up water, add (not change) oil and checked tire pressures regularly. Apart from that, I had no idea what to do, and to be honest, no intention of learning!
    My local garage serviced my car a couple of weeks ago. They put new brake pads on the rear, scrubbed down the brake discs(?), full oil change, all fluids, new air filter and unclogged my washer jet thingy. It cost me £74 in total, and imo was money well spent.
    I appreciate that some people are brilliant with their hands and have a reasonable degree of knowledge, enabling them to service their own cars - I am not one of them - and knowing that someone who does know what they are doing has checked the car over gives me great peace of mind. I would never go to a main dealer or kwikfit though!
    btw I am rural and drive a crv.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport