Mean spirited vent

Options
124»

Comments

• ThumbRemote
    Options
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    Yes I too am confused about this. With the welfare state nobody should be going hungry. Benefits are provided to people in need. Food is a basic need along with shelter and warmth and the benefit money would cover that. So are food banks just encouraging people to spend money on other things then go get for for free?

People who use them - are we to expect that they have spent every other pound of theirs SOLELY on shelter, water, heat and light? I seriously doubt it.

I believe the most common reason people are referred to food banks is due to delays or mistakes in benefit payments. The Trussell Trust publish quite detailed statistics if you really want to look them up.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    Yes I too am confused about this. With the welfare state nobody should be going hungry. Benefits are provided to people in need. Food is a basic need along with shelter and warmth and the benefit money would cover that. So are food banks just encouraging people to spend money on other things then go get for for free?

People who use them - are we to expect that they have spent every other pound of theirs SOLELY on shelter, water, heat and light? I seriously doubt it.

Which is why, when I come across people begging in the street, I refuse to give them money. But I'll offer to buy them a pasty / sandwich / coffee / whatever from the nearest shop. Most are really nice, and very thankful, but I've had some that got really stroppy - presumably because they can't trade a sandwich for drugs :(

You're right, in a civilised society no-one should be going hungry, but who knows their personal circumstances ? There but for the grace of God ...... And believe me, I've been in pretty dire straits in my past.
  • bundly
    bundly Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This^^^ I've wondered if the reason more people are using food banks is because more people have realised there's free food to be had . . .

I'm sorry to have to admit that, from what I can see, you are right. I'm not that poor, but I live in a town centre amongst a large number of people on benefits. Yes there ARE those who are frugal and sensible and get their priorities right, but, believe me, there are plenty round here who get their fags and booze first, then afterwards start worrying about where they are going to get food and some credit on their electricity key.

For the latter, the food bank is a godsend. It does free up even more money for booze and fags. Maybe enough even for some street drugs.

However, it is not PC to reveal this, so you never heard it from me!
  • ThumbRemote
    Options
    bundly wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have to admit that, from what I can see, you are right. I'm not that poor, but I live in a town centre amongst a large number of people on benefits. Yes there ARE those who are frugal and sensible and get their priorities right, but, believe me, there are plenty round here who get their fags and booze first, then afterwards start worrying about where they are going to get food and some credit on their electricity key.

For the latter, the food bank is a godsend. It does free up even more money for booze and fags. Maybe enough even for some street drugs.

However, it is not PC to reveal this, so you never heard it from me!

It's interesting that you post guesswork, assumptions and broad brush stereotyping.

On the other hand the people who actually run the foodbanks publish actual data. http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-report

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to suit your preconceptions.
  • bundly
    Options
    Not preconceptions, Thumbremote; based on observing those amongst whom I live. You on the other hand DON'T live here, so how are you qualified to comment on my neighbours?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not preconceptions, Thumbremote; based on observing those amongst whom I live. You on the other hand DON'T live here, so how are you qualified to comment on my neighbours?

I made no comment on your neighbours. I commented that your post was "guesswork, assumptions and broad brush stereotyping."

Which, unless you have access to your neighbours bank accounts, benefits claims and private lives, it was.
  • bundly
    Options
    your post was "guesswork, assumptions and broad brush stereotyping."

So is yours. You are guessing that I am making it up, you are assuming I know nothing and you are stereotyping me as someone who knows nothing about a subject but writes about it, anyway.
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Foodbanks - The tv on the wall is too big to carry down to the pawn shop.
    The jewellery won't come off as their fingers have got so fat sitting at home eating takeaways.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So is yours. You are guessing that I am making it up, you are assuming I know nothing and you are stereotyping me as someone who knows nothing about a subject but writes about it, anyway.

I've posted links to the website that contains lots of statistics on food bank use. You've just made unsubstantiated claims about your neighbours.

So it's not just an assumption that you don't know what you're talking about.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Many of the ads on TV are from either companies who want your custom/money, or companies who want your audience. To engage with the majority of ads on TV is to be pretty selfish (on the consumer side, and on the company side). Nothing wrong with being selfish though...

Charities are GENERALLY simply trying to make some coin to support other people whom they care about. It is a bit of a catch for them, if you don't advertise then you don't get custom, but if you do advertise then the overheads will cost more. Therefore, one can imagine why the prices steadily creep up, and why they set higher defaults (plus, I believe wikipedia did testing with their donation buttons and found that a particular way of advertising resulted in higher donations; so the charities may be running in line with this)

I'm partial to a bit of gambling myself, but to see a ladbrokes ad about 5 "normal" guys and their betting habits should !!!! you off immensely more than one about saving an endangered species of tiger. Whether or not you choose to ENGAGE with any of these ads is at your discretion!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure