Options

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 September 2016 at 7:09PM
    Options
    mchale wrote: »

I understand that you mean well, but I am comfortable with my own opinions and choices and have my own reasons for visiting, thanks

(And yes, I've seen Blackfish as well)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    Take your time in San Antonio and enjoy a boat ride round the canal and the open air theatre is worth a visit if there is a show on.
    I didn't go to SeaWorld, I headed north to Wonderworld on the I35 to see the underground caverns instead, I also did a bus tour of the seven missions, the driver was great and had a story to tell at each one of them.

I can't help with NASA as I visited the space museum in Alabama instead at Huntsville but that would be too far north for you to drive to.

New Orleans is a gem, highlights would be the French Quarter with all the music and food to enjoy, you must try a Po Boy :)
    St Charles Ave at dusk on the trolly car is a sight with all the houses having their doorways lit up, a guided tour of Lafayette Cemetery and a visit to the French Market would be on my list again.
    Do NOT drive anywhere near central NO it is a nightmare for cars.
  • jackieblack
    edited 19 September 2016 at 7:45PM
    Options
    FunTime wrote: »
    Was considering something similar just this weekend. Either cross country from Miami to San Diego or a loop including some of the places that you mention(which avoids the hefty one way fee).. Though not alone. I have a driver. :)
    Scrapped it for now because of a too full timetable.

On this occasion the one way drop off fee is roughly equivalent to what I might pay for one night in a hotel, but effectively gives me two/three extra days that I don't have to spend driving back to my starting point so, for me, for this trip, it's worth it.
    Also, the open jaw flights were £200 cheaper than a straight return in/out of Houston which is considetably more than the one way drop off fee :)
    (One downside to solo travel - I can really only cover half the miles in a day than I would if I had someone to share the driving with. It's meant to be a holiday, after all, not a test of endurance)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • jackieblack
    edited 19 September 2016 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Take your time in San Antonio and enjoy a boat ride round the canal and the open air theatre is worth a visit if there is a show on.
    I didn't go to SeaWorld, I headed north to Wonderworld on the I35 to see the underground caverns instead, I also did a bus tour of the seven missions, the driver was great and had a story to tell at each one of them.

I can't help with NASA as I visited the space museum in Alabama instead at Huntsville but that would be too far north for you to drive to.
    Noted, thanks :)
    New Orleans is a gem, highlights would be the French Quarter with all the music and food to enjoy, you must try a Po Boy :)
    St Charles Ave at dusk on the trolly car is a sight with all the houses having their doorways lit up, a guided tour of Lafayette Cemetery and a visit to the French Market would be on my list again.
    I'm really in two minds about NO, I wouldn't be so hesitant if I was travelling with a companion who wanted to visit but, for some reason, it's not somewhere that's ever really appealed to me :o
    On the other hand I feel like if I'm passing so close by it might be silly not to stop :huh:
    It's on my 'maybe' list at the moment :think:
    Do NOT drive anywhere near central NO it is a nightmare for cars.
    Definitely worth knowing, thanks :)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    (One downside to solo travel - I can really only cover half the miles in a day than I would if I had someone to share the driving with. It's meant to be a holiday, after all, not a test of endurance)

With it being 'only' 500ish miles and a fortnight to do it in, its going to be a steady trip.

If you're up for some unusual holiday activities, I really enjoyed the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi and going around a submarine, in a public park at Galveston, was a memorable thing to do !
  • jackieblack
    edited 19 September 2016 at 9:58PM
    Options
    With it being 'only' 500ish miles and a fortnight to do it in, its going to be a steady trip.

Thanks Murphy:)

If you're up for some unusual holiday activities, I really enjoyed the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi and going around a submarine, in a public park at Galveston, was a memorable thing to do !

Google maps has 720 miles from Pensacola to San Antonio (add on Corpus Christie, Galveston and then to Houston and it's at least 1100). I was thinking of a minimum two nights in Pensacola, and allowing the second week for the things I want to do in Texas, so that leaves 5 days to get between the two, which is definitely doable, but doesn't give me a huge amount of time to linger in too many places for too long as my limit is about 200 miles a day. I've found staying between places, getting a reasonably early start (much easier when travelling on my own :D) driving to something/somewhere I want to do/see and then driving on to my next stop works well for me and maximises what I can fit into the itinerary.

Same issue as usual, too many places to visit and things to do and see, and only a limited amount of time to do them in :D
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Done most of it but not all in one go yet
    Our Fave place in America is Biloxi MS - if you play MyVegas you can get free hotel rooms ect for Biloxi
    New Orleans we loved in the Daytime but thought it was a bit seedy at night. The paddle steamer was cool,
    There is also a very cool plantation museum around there but cant remember exactly where which was very well done telling the story of the slave trade / cotton picking days.
    Second Murphys idea of USS Lexington (Blue Ghost) a really interesting tour all done by sailors who have served on the ship.
    Love San Antonio, lots of great places to eat and the best dueling piano bars we have ever seen.
    We also loved Dallas - went to Southfork from the TV show which was cool and got to kick a field goal at the old Dallas Cowboys stadium on the tour. Then staying in a cattlemans hotel in Fort Worth and ended up in the world famous Billy Bobs.
    Hope you have a great time. We are off to US tomorrow so wont be on here for a bit LOL
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • jackieblack
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    Done most of it but not all in one go yet
    Our Fave place in America is Biloxi MS - if you play MyVegas you can get free hotel rooms ect for Biloxi
    New Orleans we loved in the Daytime but thought it was a bit seedy at night. The paddle steamer was cool,
    There is also a very cool plantation museum around there but cant remember exactly where which was very well done telling the story of the slave trade / cotton picking days.
    Second Murphys idea of USS Lexington (Blue Ghost) a really interesting tour all done by sailors who have served on the ship.
    Love San Antonio, lots of great places to eat and the best dueling piano bars we have ever seen.
    We also loved Dallas - went to Southfork from the TV show which was cool and got to kick a field goal at the old Dallas Cowboys stadium on the tour. Then staying in a cattlemans hotel in Fort Worth and ended up in the world famous Billy Bobs.
    Hope you have a great time. We are off to US tomorrow so wont be on here for a bit LOL
    Thanks!
    Have fun
    (I only got back 3 weeks ago, but I 'need' to have another trip 'in the pipeline' to get through the miserable winter months :D)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Thanks!
    Have fun
    (I only got back 3 weeks ago, but I 'need' to have another trip 'in the pipeline' to get through the miserable winter months :D)

You and me both !
    I've got to have something to look forwards to - even if its months and months ahead :beer:
  • jackieblack
    Options
    You and me both !
    I've got to have something to look forwards to - even if its months and months ahead :beer:
    There must be a name for this affliction that affects us both..... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business