First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For heavens sake man, shhhhhh!!!!! :mad:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did anyone see the football last night?

Or if you're not into sport have you booked your summer 2017 holiday yet?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

No and no.

MSE_Tony wrote: »
    Do you have several bank accounts? How do you keep track? And what do you do when you run out of bills to meet accounts’ direct debit requirements.

In answer to MSE Tony's questions:

1. Yes, I do have several bank accounts.

2. I keep track by logging into them online or via mobile apps.

3. I never run out of bills to pay via Direct Debits - there's plenty around: council tax, gas, electricity, landline/broadband, mobile phone, water, satellite TV, life insurance, car insurance, home insurance, My Little Pony magazine subscription etc.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    We’ve heard from MoneySavers armed with spreadsheets tracking their cash between several different bank savings accounts. Some just set up the standing orders and direct debits and leave the system to manage itself.

Do you have several bank accounts? How do you keep track? And what do you do when you run out of bills to meet accounts’ direct debit requirements.

Let us know here

Why do you want to know?

There must be a reason.

Is there a new series of The Martin Lewis Money Show coming up?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you want to know?

There must be a reason.

Is there a new series of The Martin Lewis Money Show coming up?

Martin was talking about it on his segment on 5Live on Monday (he wanted to know who had the most accounts, although I never heard the answers) so you might be on the right lines.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    Encouraging more people to take a bigger slice of an ever diminishing in size cake!?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We’ve heard from MoneySavers armed with spreadsheets tracking their cash between several different bank savings accounts. Some just set up the standing orders and direct debits and leave the system to manage itself.

Let us know here

If I told you, I'd have to kill you:shhh:

No and no, not yet.

But I am going on a Caribbean cruise next month and I've booked my flights to spend New Year in Hong Kong with my son:j

I don't intend to be the richest badger in the cemetary;)
  • Martinsaxby
    Martinsaxby Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2016 at 10:23PM
    Options
    I recently sold a house and had around £160k to invest for about six months before buying a new house. I opened accounts in my name and my wife's plus joint accounts in Santander, Lloyds, BoS, TSB, Nationwide plus regular saver accounts with Nationwide, TSB and Santander - a total of over 20 accounts.
    The created an Excel spreadsheet with several sheets. One recorded all the account details and security information.
    Another recorded the necessary requirements for each account e.g. Credits and Direct Debits. I did run out of the necessary DD to service all the accounts.
    Another set out the actual payments made every month between each of the accounts. All Standing Orders were set up for the same day of the month so money went in and out on the same day so the net effect was no change.
    Once set up this all happened automatically.
    I was able to achieve monthly interest well in excess of £200.

It became more complicated when I then needed to start closing accounts to access the capital and ensuring the correct credits and transfers were happening.

The whole process was complex and slightly stressful but it was the most I had ever earnt for about 2 days work in total hours.
  • boyo2
    boyo2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've set up a PayPal account, one each for my wife and I.
    If you set the direct debit up, you can add money to your PayPal account through it. Just add 1p on the first of each month. You can set up as many direct debits with different banks as you want to.

For the sake of 1p you could loads of interest.

Also if you are in a relationship of trust, then set up any of the accounts suggested by MSE, one in each name. Then just move money there.

The 1st of the month is "money moving day" in my house and all
    I do is move the amount needed for minimum payin and move it straight back again seconds later.! I've got 9 bank accounts between my wife and I and we just move the money around to max out the interest!

Don't hate the player, hate the game!
  • boyo2
    boyo2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Try setting up a PayPal direct debit. And move 1p in a month through it. This helped me reach my required number of direct debits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure