Should Scotland be an independent country?

Options

Comments

• lachiedamn
    Options
    Which is why you want all your laws and policies to be subservient to those made in Brussels? :think:

Mmm and NATO and the Queen and the pound and the EU but asking kindly for Trident to be removed. I think it is called; don't frighten the horses.

However, if Scotland does maintain the Union, they will be unable to leave NATO, become a republic, leave the EU, or have it's own currency or get rid of the Vanguard boats?

However thinking about it, we may find we have to ditch the EU, if the Tory sponsored Referendum goes ahead in 2017 throughout the UK, assuming, of course, if we vote no.
  • Connman77
    Options
    So funny listening to the apocalyptic naysayers! Scotland balances its books and contributes more per head to the UK than the UK average. Then people go on about when the oil runs out......who cares, we brought in 36 billion last year from our whisky, tourism and contruction alone. Inward investment is high. Our exports outnumber our imports.......and there is a minimum of 1.2 trillion left in the oil (which is better than nothing). We give 3.6 billion to the uk military and have 30000 jobs wheras Sweden has same budget, twice the populatiin and 300000 jobs.........but the main point is simple democracy, Scotland, wales and ni all have assemblies and parliaments.....but england dont.....they rule in vast superiority in tye so called uniin parliament of westminster. 500 mps to our 50......hugely biased and unfair. England should have their own seperate parliament.....but this will never happen, hence a y3s vote is inevitable.
  • paulc333
    paulc333 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    oh look, another first time poster signed to the site December 2013.

Came here just for the poll.

once again, online polling isn't worth the paper it's printed on!
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2013 at 1:33AM
    Options
    I note some of the posts here say people register just to vote.
    I have been a member of this forum for quite a few years and would like to announce my support for Scottish independence

Please note that this has NOTHING to do with any anti-English agenda, it has all to do with control
    It is all about removing Westminster control from Scotland.

Many former Labour voters in other parts of the UK will notice the current and recent UK Westminster governments have moved politically to the right. Scotland is more politically left and rejects the right wing agenda
    Many former Labour voters are now realising the Labour Party they formerly voted for has went from the party of the working man to the party of the working banker.
    Scots consistently vote for. Non-Conservative government but get one (at UK level) around 50% of the time.
    The current Scottish (SNP) government are more in line with old Labour values, for example the SNP have;

Reversed the privatisation of the Scottish NHS - resulting in better patient outcomes and a happier workforce
    Changed procurement law in Scotland to require companies getting contracts with government funding to train apprentices
    Tightened landlord registration to help protect private sector tenants.
    Managed to introduce the same percentage level of cuts (compared to other parts of the UK )in the fire and police service with the cooperation of the fire brigade union and police federation
    Doubled the number of apprenticeships in Scotland since 2006 (remember apprenticeships in Scotland must be attached to jobs)
    Brought more inward investment to Scotland- Scotland has had more inward investment in the past 6 years than it had in the preceding 18 years.
    Committed to reversing the privatisation of the Royal Mail

I choose to have my country run by people who know about how Scotland ticks and how we work better when we work other the as a country ( but definitely not better together in the UK sense)

I stay in Ayrshire and it is local common knowledge that the UK government PREVENTED a second oil boom TWICE in the 1980's.
    This has been reported in several places (including a Scottish anti-independence newspaper)

http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/scotland/did-mod-block-oil-boom-in-the-firth-of-clyde-1.138569
    baldly going on...
  • salutethepeople
    Options
    paulc333 wrote: »
    oh look, another first time poster signed to the site December 2013.

Came here just for the poll.

once again, online polling isn't worth the paper it's printed on!

And the fact that some of us have just joined somehow makes our opinions less valid?

Okaaaay.
  • Barontorc
    Options
    Scottish independence is the crack in the wall that rUK desperately needs to do away with the corrupt system of Westminster and The Lords. Nepotism and deceit, by self-serving carpet-bagger politicos only interested in keeping their noses well into a trough that never runs dry.

That is, until 18 September 2014 when we will resoundingly vote YES and sure as hell we will not be filling that trough ever again.

Make no mistake about it and don't believe a word of the made-up polls you're getting via the UK establishment they're all lies and con. Scots are truly sick to the teeth with Westminster and there will be at least a 60% to 70 % YES vote.

And as for all those unionist politicians; every one of the wretched Labour and Lib Dem Scots, up to their armpits in that guzzling circus pretending to be looking after Scotland's interests, but doing the exact opposite, feel free to keep them as souvenirs and stick them on the dresser beside the other wally dugs.

We certainly don't want to see hide nor hair of any of them again in Scotland.

So get wise England -it will be far better to be great neighbours, do the decent and sensible thing and get your act together to make this transition as seamless as possible, then take the hint and do something similar for yourselves. And Good Luck! :beer::)
  • helen_slimmond
    Options
    Anyone who takes the trouble to read the true facts about our economy in Scotland will know that Independence is in our best interests. That means that the naysayers here are either ignorant or scared of England going it alone. The whole country needs to stop listening to their mass media and start really investigating everything for themselves. I am very concerned about the behaviour of uk govts taking us into unethical illegal wars; pretending to be hard on the power companies while letting them ditch their obligations to our environment; letting big corporations dictate policies; destroying all our great national industries or selling them at bargain basement prices; allowing poverty to reach new lows while the extremely rich have obscene support from the taxpayers; etc etc etc.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    Leanne1812 wrote: »
    I think it's very informative actually.

In what way informative?
  • paulc333
    Options
    And the fact that some of us have just joined somehow makes our opinions less valid?

Okaaaay.

Individuals opinions are not less valid.

The validity of a poll where it can be swung by sending people to vote is what I would question.

Online polls are worthless when there is a campaign to swing which way that vote goes! It's not a true reflection, you need real polls for that as I mentioned before!

How can you stop someone in America for example voting? simply you can't! How can you stop people voting from more than 1 device? very difficult, it would be easy for me to vote from my laptop at home and then my phone on the wifi at work. no one any technology can stop that.

It's the poll itself that's worthless not peoples opinion!!
  • paulc333
    Options
    . I am very concerned about the behaviour of uk govts taking us into unethical illegal wars

and who took us into this "illegal" war, Tony Blair, A SCOTSMAN!!!

Who was either chancellor or prime minister during the worst part of the financial mis-management? Gordon Brown, hang on he is a SCOTSMAN.

Both could have been in power in Scotland if Scotland had already been Independent at that point!!

Don't go painting Scots as any "better" people than anyone else! good and bad in all countries!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure