The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I havent posted the coconut rice recipe yet, as i cant seem to remember it very well.
    I think, from memory, its 2 cups of rice, 2 cups of coconut milk and 2 cups of water. Just cook it as you normally would for rice.
    Goes really nicely with a spicy curry, as its quite cooling :)

I have just had my asda delivery, and have filled my cupboards with tins of kidney beans, baked beans, spaghetti hoops, curry pastes etc, for £35 (its all smartprice, apart from the pataks curry pastes).

I really think i could do this every month and bring my food bills down. Who knows!
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    capricious wrote: »
    Count me in please
    Count me in too plz Kat

Hello to capricious and CrazyCatLady, it's great to see that your very first posts have been on the Ultimate February Challenge :T. Welcome to the thread and the MSE site.
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks Kerfuffle.
    i am embarrassed for 2 reasons really. The main one being the way i just dropped out of January's challenge, and the second being that i am in a worse state, financially, than last time :(

Glad to hear my lemon rice has been adopted by people, i LOVE it!

The coconut rice is also lovely, as is the tumeric and chill, lime and coriander etc etc (i love rice, can you tell?) :D

Well you're back amongst your Buddies, so settle yourself down and we'll get you sorted out.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

I've had a good peek at the budget and the plan is -

Food Budget - £120
    Petrol £180 (No public transport)
    Eating out - £30 (Hopefully celebrating nephews exams:))
    Gifts - £10
    SFD's - 20
  • Iwillsucceed_2
    Options
    Another challenge!

Great post Ninjakat, have I told you that you are a true MOTIVATOR? :j I realized that as much as I need relying in my internal motivation I also seek for external one! :j

Ufff I felt I have SUCCEEDED in January with 28 NSDs! Though February is going to be a very expensive month for me :eek: My diary is full of events so I will try my hardest to keep within my budget! :)

Count me in for February :beer:

My food budget £360
    Petrol per month £160
    Entertainment £500 this includes petrol expense when we will be going down south to visit some family members.

Sending all of you good vibes...
    I will succeed you too!
    No debts 🙌
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    I'm in, I'm in!!! OK Feb is going to be tough, with half term and a family visit. And I have just bought my son a new mattress.

Oh and my hoover has started to die a slow painful death. Have just ordered a £25 one from Argos. It will have to do, and anyway I cant afford to spend £200 on one.

So.... I am looking at:

Food £280
    Petrol £180

and £30 a week for everything else - plus an extra £50 for half term. Have just sold 23 things on ebay so nothing much else to sell at the moment. I am owed £60 from a DD that was taken twice but havent really factored that in anywhere as its not sorted yet.

And I am going for 20 NSDs. No idea whether I can do that or not but I will try!!

And I really want to get £50 put in my little emergency fund this month too.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February 2013 at 12:03AM
    Options
    Oh feel like I'm treading water. Was getting excited about my watchers and early bids on ebay and the savings I put away (I save for both of us, he pays a bit more bills), when it just seems to go to the black hole called BF.:mad: He got an advance on my February contribution (I give him £200 towards bills, long story we crunched numbers and have system of who pays what etc, based on income) last month saying that he will not take any money this month then. Guess what he just asked me for 200 quid till payday on the 20th. Granted he had to pay the dentist unexpectedly (but will get that back) and took his nephew skiing one day which was dear, but honestly. I guess I better not do anything for my birthday then as I just don't want to spend money. Don't even want a present or go out for tea as I basically pay that then. He says he'll pay it back.......

Sometimes it seems if I make an effort or not there doesn't seem to be much progress financially. I'm dreading if we ever have to put two kids into nursery, ones dear enough. We don't earn bad but that's what's crippling us atm (1/3 of income). And thought we're quite good now compared to what we used to spend on booze, fags etc. I guess I'm expecting too much. Because our bills eat 3/4 of our income I can't expect to going from overspending £200 to saving £500 ;).
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    The Ultimate Challenge has now began,
    For new, for old, for those concerned
    Your debt will not win, for you are in charge
    Save it up, don't spend, those pennies you've earned..

Remember Remember those few small words
    Take "only what you need", don't weigh yourself down..
    Frivolity and greed will grip you no more ..
    All it takes is a month to flip over that frown..

Work together, keep strong, for the best gift of all
    For to win this battle just ensure you all strive..
    To rid self of debt, to crush those large fees..
    Let me sit on your shoulder, be your NSK guide..

28 small days are easily worked out
    Look ahead, work it out, make sure you have planned..
    Help those stragglers, Contender, leave none behind..
    You're a Barbarian Contender, now take your stand..

Let The Games Begin and May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Aaaand there off!
    Going to start the month with a SFD!! Should not be too hard as I have milk in (which is my excuse for nipping to the shop) and tomorrow is planned in as a day out and we are having lunch so I have that to look forwards to. :cool:
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Well a very good morning to you all. I have withdrawn my £150, tucked it away and am actually going to get envelopes out to house my pennies. Friends booked ( okay one ) for a planned meal, work lunch sprung on me that I will look like a loser if I don't attend and a few beauty bits required.. otherwise a pretty boring month planned.

Up until gone midnight last night with a desire to get at least two more items on eBay.. success but another 15 to go ( with 5 items ending today so I hope they sell ). Planning a half day at work today as I have lots of time in lui to use and want to get home to load up more... I really want to pay for my birthday treat hotel with eBay money - fingers crossed!!

Starting the day a little run down, but seriously optimistic and can't wait to here from everyone about how their first UFC day goes by... keep me posted..

Onwards and Upwards!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • rosiecheeksblossom
    Options
    And we're off! Pinch, Punch, Its the 1st of the month:rotfl:, White rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit;). No of course I'm not supersticious!!!!

How is everyone?

Thankyou for your positive vibes NSK, they are well and truly needed!!!
    Checked my DDs have come out this morning and found that a council tax payment has come out which shouldn't of done:mad::mad::mad:. I have a very strong feeling, feb and march are payment free months. I will be checking and phoning shortly. Muppets!!!
    Need to get it sorted, otherwise me budgets out before its even begun.................

TTFN xxx
    Halifax CC All paid Mort £7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure