PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 18 July 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 18 July 2017 at 6:28AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 18 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dull cloudy and overcast here this morning, but forecast is to be hot, it's warm already - we're having lots of days where it starts like this and then by 10am the sky has cleared and we get a hot sunny day - we'll see.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was scampi, chips, beans/veg for the menfolk, I made a caponata with aubergine, courgette, peppers, onions, beans with tom puree, red wine vinegar, balsamic and soy sauce - a little water to make a bit of a sauce - served this with steamed cod, I made a big batch of caponata - so there's some for another meal, maybe tonight or another. Weight loss is coming along nicely lost 5lb last week - but it's the first week and I've been very strict - and of course we go on hols this week, but a good start and I won't be going mad whilst away. Had planned tonight's dinner but forgot to get the meat out, but I do have LO's in the fridge that need using up, so will go down that route instead.

Yesterday work was horrendous, 2 people phoned in sick and 1 had been put on the rota to work at our office but was on leave last week to include yesterday and someone missed that - so we were incredibly short staffed and we were busy - but of course the day flew by, and the afternoon wasn't as bad luckily, although I was doing a different job that was continously busy but I don't mind that. Just today and tomorrow morning and I'm then off - can't wait.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to dumpling, Judi and anyone else in need.

I'm off to work in a sec, CHS is on lates so has a cuppa in bed.

They have changed hi shift system yet again in an effort to reduce the overtime bill, he should have finished at 8 yesterday but there was an event on until 9, then the clearing up time afterwards.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2017 at 7:38AM
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Hugs to Judi, Karcher and Dumpling.

Specky sorry to hear about your gran.

I went and bought myself two kettles in the sales yesterday, one to replace the broken one and one put away as a spare. I really do hate being without a kettle.

It was lovely sunny warm day yesterday, but not too hot. So I took advantage of the good weather and took my sandwich for lunch to the park with a book and spent a really nice afternoon there reading and people watching. It certainly lifted my mood. The foreast today is my much of the same, if it turns out like that I shall do the same today.

As it was a nice day I didn’t get the veg that I needed to do some batch cooking so I may go and get that shortly, although I have something on this afternoon so won’t be able to do any cooking so I may leave it until tomorrow. I’ll see how I feel after I have had some more tea and breakfast.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, thank you for starting us off nmlc.

I worked late yesterday so am going in a little later this morning. Today will be a shorter day but I'll probably be pretty late tomorrow.

Was very tired yesterday so went to bed at 9.30 and slept until 530, now sitting with a cup of tea and I must have a look at the weather report because I have a load of washing for OH to hang out. If it is likely to rain it can go on the rack indoors. Tomorrow is meant to include heavy rain but the last few yellow weather warnings threatened thunderstorms that did not happen.

Sadly, that is all the excitement in my day. My job is interesting at least.

Speaky, I hope your nan will continue to enjoy life, she does always sound so lovely when you post about her.

Judi, hoping for positive news for you.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Its a bit overcast and blowy here today but meant to brighten up again later, yesterday was so hot we were melting at work.

Off to work again today so I hope its a bit cooler. Pasta for dinner tonight with garlic bread and salad so nice and easy.

Waiting for a call today from a kitchen planner so we can hopefully book that in soon, I have an idea of how I want it but just need someone to tell me if it will work !

Need to have a hoover through tonight and put some washing away, we are still without a dishwasher and I hate it :o

Judi have you heard anything ? xx

Specky I hope your nan continues to have a happy / healthy life xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Another glorious day in store but it sounds like it's downhill from tomorrow with rain on it's way!

We were pretty industrious yesterday and decided to tackle the Sumach in the front garden which has gone rampant this summer. Mr TA sawed a few of branches off, which we hacked back to fit in the recycling bin. It looks much better but the suckers constantly popping up all over the garden are the bane of our lives and we never get to the end of them.

We sat out in the back garden after lunch but I was in and out like Jocky and Jinny, it was much hotter than I expected when we were out of the breeze. I finished my book and have fished out another one to start on next.

This morning we are off to do a BIG shop. Mr TA goes in for his hand op tomorrow and will be padded and bandaged for a good couple of weeks. So no driving and everything done one handed. I want to be well stocked with stuff he can eat one handed rather than me having to cut all his food up! Lots of pasta meals, casseroles etc on the menu!

Have a good day folks. (HUGS) to all the poorlies, sad or worried who in need them. JUDI have you heard from your DS yet? Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Judi[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Any news? xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sorry to hear the news about your gran speky :([/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rosyred I hope Lyla's OK, Scampi can sometimes take days to calm down properly after coming across something he's really scared of. He didn't have a problem with the cows though, he just seemed to be trying to work out what they were :D It was me not knowing what the staring cow was going to do next that made me hide him behind the car, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf Scampi says thank you to Sasha and would she like to share a Bonio with him? He just needs to dig it out of his hiding place in the garden :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was hoping the walk the other day was going to go differently, I would love to take Scampi to a day care place occasionally so he'd have a bit more variety, then lead up to booking him in regularly so I can go out to work a couple of days a week. That's not going to happen with the owners having out-of-date methods (I'm trying to be polite here, lol). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So for the moment I need to find a way to make a bit more money from home. Easiest way is to spend less but I'm already quite mean :D so my latest project is to dig out The Tightwad Gazette (done that – it's already on the coffee table, lol), slowly go through it and make changes where I can. I could make more stuff to sell, and perhaps kidnap a small business owner and force them to give me their bookkeeping duties :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Today is supposed to be even hotter than yesterday, I'm going for a walk earlier than usual so I can be back before 10am for my shopping delivery. I have some stuff to sort in the shed then I'll be having an early lunch. I have a shirt that was a bit tight a couple of months ago, I tried it on yesterday and it fits - YAY! - but the buttons are only just hanging on so I'll sew them back on properly this afternoon. I'll have a quick search to see if anything else needs mending, if not I'll just potter about slowly and try to keep cool.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning :wave:

Hugs to Karcher and Judi hope things are looking up for you both

Specky sorry to hear about your nan...make the most of every minute now

Sleeping really badly at the moment waking up on the hour ever hour need to find some way to switch my brain off

Got an interview for a counselling course at my local college today. Seems weird going back to school at my tender old age but its something that I use in my work all the time and I would like an official qualification. Apparently they are massively oversubscribed so its dependant on my interview today.

Food wise something salady probably its too hot for cooking already forecast is for 28 degrees :eek: I love my sun but that is a bit much even for me

Right best get myself organised for the day ...hope you all have a good Tuesday
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

Judi, hope you hear good news soon.

Specky, sorry to hear about your Nan.

Dumpling hugs

Too hot to cook so have decided to have lunch out. We don't have holidays so it's my way of having a break.

As usual nothing much happening here.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

No, no news. No news is good news, right? I'll let you know if there is any change. I'm touched by the amount of support I'm getting from here, both on the daily thread and in private message. I'm certainly getting none from home as it's like he never existed. I'm surprised by how many of us have a Prodigal. Looks like I'm not alone.

Forgot to ring the Psych team from last week back yesterday. I promised I would let them know how he got on at the doctors on Friday. Must do it today.

Not much to do in the house today as I got stuck in yesterday without coming up for air. Might get stuck into the windows if I can't settle.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning chums,

Gorgeous morning. Nothing but blue skies and it's already roasting. We've every window open in the office in preparation.

Last night after work I gave the flat a once over and made myself a light dinner. Given it was a nice night, I went a run. I enjoy running in extreme weathers, so scorching sun, torrential rain or snow. I think it's prove something to myself more than anything else.

I recon today will be much the same. I've got a hamburger out defrosting so I'll have that with veg for dinner and if it stays as sunny as this, I'll go a run again.

Keep worrying about my little gran. I know there's no use but can't help myself. Thanks to all and your kind words. I'm trying to remaing positive though and I want to make the most of the time we have.

HH - Your afternoon sounds perfect. Absolutely perfect. Enjoy, once again.
    Nelski - Good luck today
    Judi - Thinking of you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family