Real life MMD: Should I charge my bro?

Options

Comments

• Columbo_2
    Options
    When the bank charges debacle was taking place, I helped out a colleague, who gained about £1500 back.

She kindly gave me a case of beer as a thank you, whic i didn't expect, but graciously accepted.

It's not all about your own financial gain!
  • purpleweasel
    Options
    ayayay wrote: »
    no-one would dream of asking a builder, plumber, electrician to come round the house and work for free for half a day.

You think??

But for family there is always some give-&-take, eg you help me wire a few plugs & i will come & give you a hand moving house. Cashless economy - can be a thrifty way of sharing skills as long as no-one takes the ****
  • Brian_Steele
    Options
    If 25% were the going rate for a claim, then I could see an argument for trying to get something out of your brother for it (even if that would still be a bit mean).

The fact is that these claims are free to make and anyone who even considers one of the chargeable services is being ripped off.

Do it for free, but get him to buy you a drink in return, offer to go round and do it after he has cooked you dinner, or simply let him "owe you one" as brothers often do.
  • tallgirld
    Options
    I have two brothers.

Brother 1 = NOT A USER
    Brother 2 = USER

So if brother one asked me I would do it for NOTHING.
    But if brother two asked me I would tell him to DO IT HIMSELF.

I think you should follow my principles on this one ;-)
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Sit down with him - show him how long it takes to fill in the (simple) 6 page PPI questionnaire (which you can download off Martins website), if you feel you need to justify your time.
    There's scope on the form for you (as his complainant) to be entered if you'd like to know his outcome or handle his case to the end.
    But as for charging him - Certainly not !
    Plus you are assuming he'll get something !
    Would you be paying the tax on this charge, like he'll have to pay tax on anything he may get from PPI?!?
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you asking this question? Help him. :)
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • littleosk
    Options
    People should bear in mind that reclaiming mis-sold PPI is getting back money that you have paid out in the first place - it isn't a reward! Your brother has basically been a victim of fraud - if he gets his money back you should be pleased for him, but it was money he has paid over to them in the first place. I'd be happy to get justice for him and maybe he'll thank you with a bottle of wine!
  • jawster
    jawster Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    It's refreshing to see how many think that a sibling should not generally (especially if close and have a good relationship - i.e. not one where there is always one 'taking') charge each other for favours.

My own sister once many years ago when we lived together (and she paid less than half the rent as her salary was lower than mine) saw my annual tax statement. It was my first proper job and I'd not worked for a full tax year and she noticed within ooh about a minute that I'd been left on the emergency tax code and would be due some money back (if I claimed it) and told me so.

I rang the tax people and happily told her that they would now send me £300 back and isn't that great! Her reply was "Good - you have to give me some of that money as I found it"
    I gave her 10% to avoid an argument but she was disappointed it wasn't more and I felt conflicted that maybe I was being tight (for giving £30 for 1 minutes work, crazy I know!).

Its only later with more wisdom and response like this thread that I've realised what a so-and-so she really is!

Families..
  • sarks
    sarks Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    People get awfully het up on here when it's all just subjective opinions. Someone earlier in the thread called someone's misguided opinion sickening which is quite strong language. My own opinion, which is worth as much or as little as anyone else's is pay it forward. Meaning do a nice thing and the universe will give back. Or if you're not as hippy dippy as me then it's just nice to be nice isn't it. I think our world would run much better if we all just helped each other. It's never about what other people do, it's about what we each do as individuals. So whether or not the brother is a user or a lovely person it doesn't really matter, it's how we react to things isn't it?
    TANSTAAFL - unless you have a voucher for said lunch from MSE :D
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sarks wrote: »
    People get awfully het up on here when it's all just subjective opinions. Someone earlier in the thread called someone's misguided opinion sickening which is quite strong language. My own opinion, which is worth as much or as little as anyone else's is pay it forward. Meaning do a nice thing and the universe will give back. Or if you're not as hippy dippy as me then it's just nice to be nice isn't it. I think our world would run much better if we all just helped each other. It's never about what other people do, it's about what we each do as individuals. So whether or not the brother is a user or a lovely person it doesn't really matter, it's how we react to things isn't it?

I would agree with this up to a point. But there does come a time when you continue to give to a user endlessly, that you become their enabler for the bad behaviour to continue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure