Travel agents refusing refund although airline have ok'd it

Options
My partner and I booked flights a while ago through the travel agency TravelUp. Unfortunately, the FCO now advise against all but essential travel to our destination, and large areas are now no go zones. Our flights were also altered by about half an hour, which the airline also said meant we could refund the flights. Travelup originally said that we were not able to get a refund or change flights because that was the airline policy. When we spoke to the airline they said we were due a full refund. Now, travel up are consistently coming up with excuses for why they cannot deal with our case, and the manager, Gary Smith, hangs up on us rather than provide any resolution. What can we do? We have insurance, but we are not sure of how best to proceed. Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Which country are you travelling to, and which airline allows a full refund for a schedule change of 30 mins :eek:
  • lucyk16
    Options
    We were travelling to Ethiopia - I was surprised at the delay aspect, but they changed all of our flights and connections. However, the real problem is the change in status of Ethiopia, which is currently on the FCO as only go if essential (we were flying into Addis, and travelling to the Danakil region). The airline seem surprisingly willing to help, its the agents which are less so.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as previously asked, which airline?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • lucyk16
    Options
    Turkish Air. But they are happy to process the refund, but it has to go back to the travel agent (TravelUp) which is where the problem lies
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Airlines can take weeks to process refunds.
  • lucyk16
    Options
    The problem isn't the airline and the time processing though, its the agency saying we wont get our money back at all. We don't know what the legality of the situation is - although most tour operators refund / arrange an alternative if the FCO say don't travel, is that a legal requirement? Or is it up to the agency in question, who have said we will get a £30 refund (a lot less than the cost of the flight!) although the airline are happy to refund the money to them?
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know how the FCO advice affects this, but on-line travel agents often have more onerous terms and conditions than the airlines.

If Travelup have a no refunds policy, and you signed up to it when you booked the tickets, then they may be within their rights.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Talk to your insurers... They will have better lawyers than you, and if there is any chance that you might make a successful claim they will be happy to squeeze the airline.
  • fromdusktilldawn
    Options
    Travel Up ? They are a difficult agency to deal with. I had a lot of issues in changing flights - they promise a lot but dont tend to follow through. Then they stop talking to you. I took them to the small claims court and won. Try a google search and see a solicitor for a free 30 minute consultation if you can. Establish the facts and be persistent. Good luck.
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    And book with the airline next time
    travelover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business