wood burning stove - advice please

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for a wood burning stove.

I am on oil however when the electric goes - the boiler stops working

No we are not on the gas line.

I need one with a flat top so that I can put a saucepan on top.

Something to fit in a normal size fireplace that would heat a room of 30ft by 7ft.

Does anyone know anything about backboilers

The stove shops near me seem to sell for decorative purposes only
I want to...........?

Comments

• anniew
    anniew Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - there are number of options to choose from. We have just done this exercise so I will summarise our "best tips"!

1. Go to a local provider to see what you like the look of, and get advice
    2. Look on the internet for the models you like and any similar.
    (we bought ours on the net, next day free delivery etc.)
    3. Make sure you get the right KW output for your room size (always go larger if poss)
    4. Try to get cast iron of your budget will allow.
    5. Remember to leave space by the fire to store some wood (you don't want to go out in the cold every hour!)
    6. Check out your local sawmill for cheap wood to burn
    (we save an average of £40 a load, and we both work at home, so we have it on most of the time, and the central heating stays off during the day. So, in fact, the saving is even greater!)
    Best of luck...they are wonderful and warm, and if you really get it going, you can get a nice cup of tea from your pan on top!
    Annie
    A party without cake is merely a meeting.
  • The_Biff
    Options
    I just got my Dovre wood/solidfuel burner. Bought it new off Ebay. No problems. Fitting was fairly difficult as you have to seal off the chimney (with a hole for the chimney to pass throuigh.) I did check local shops first.
    Nice to save.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    VoucherQueen

If you live in an area with no mains gas (as we do) I'm very surprised that your local supplier only stocks "decorative" models. Why not ask your neighbours if they can suggest other suppliers.

I'm in E Sussex if that's local for you and can suggest a couple of places to look at e.g. Robertsbridge.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Unbelievable_2
    Options
    We have a couple of wood burners (well multi-fuel actually but we usually use wood). What I would say is make sure that when its fitted you have enough hearth at the front to cater for anything which may tumble out. Also, in my opinion, two doors are better than one (we have one of each). When you do choose make sure you know how you're going to get your chimney swept - access through the wood burner is not always straight forward - particularly if the flue is out the back of the burner.
  • voucher_queen_3
    Options
    Dear All

Thank you all for your assistance.

We live on the Herts/Bucks/London border in an area that only has about 30 houses however all the surrounding areas have gas. Believe or not we are within the M25!!

I have been looking keenly on Ebay but I do need to find a helpful shop

Any recommendations on models - flat top and how does the heatoutput work??
    I want to...........?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport