Support needed for my ET Claim - Disability Discrimination + Constructive Dismissal

Options
Hi everyone,

The main hearing for my ET claim is in less than 1 month, so while most of the work has been done I would really appreciate some moral support.

I am a litigant in person, but apart from that can you advise what other details is it safe to share on a public forum, without jeopardising my claim?
Can I tell the whole story without changing anything?

Thank you.

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't post anything you wouldn't be happy for your former employer or their lawyers to read (and make use of) in the proceedings or negotiations. This is a widely read forum so as well as not using the name of the employer, their location and not quoting directly from letters or emails, I'd suggest that you are vague about some of the other identifying features in your story such as the exact nature of your disability and the kind of work you do.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2017 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Most threads on this board where people are alleging they've been discriminated against and/or constructively dismissed they just get told they have no case, their dismissal was fair, they won't succeed, can't prove anything etc.

So I wouldn't bother tbh.

Leave it with the professionals.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Most threads on this board where people are alleging they've been discriminated against and/or constructively dismissed they just get told they have no case, their dismissal was fair, they won't succeed, can't prove anything etc.

That is because most threads on here haven't either been discriminated against or constructively dismissed in law! And since the OP is a litigant in person, which professionals do you suggest that they leave it to?

In tribunal proceedings there are no dramatic disclosure moments. Evidence is exchanged long before the tribunal. Anything which has been or will be said in the evidence bundle can be freely discussed. Tribunals do not remotely resemble court room dramas. They are quite boring really.

I note from your previous posting that your employer was enforcing a contractual change - why did you resign rather than wait for them to dismiss? Unlike unfair dismissal, discrimination claims require the claimant to evidence that discrimination may have taken place - the employer is assumed to be innocent until there is evidence they may not be. This makes such claims more complex, especially since people often confuse an employer doing something to a disabled person with an employer doing something because a person is disabled. The former is not discrimination, the latter is! That's really simplistic as an explanation, but it's the easiest way to explain.

Constructive dismissal, on the other hand, operates like ordinary unfair dismissal in many ways. The employer is required to prove their innocence, and the easiest way to do this is often that the claimant had not exhausted other possibilities or processes before resigning, or that there had not been an action so severe a breach to merit resigning.

Employment tribunals are not easy on litigants - even represented ones. For a litigant in person, the tribunal will make the process as understandable as possible, but they won't help them to present their case, so in complex cases like this, the litigant needs to have a clear idea of what they are trying to prove. Even if your case is good, poor presentation of facts can mean that the tribunal do not perceive your argument. It isn't up to them to decide which story they like best, but to balance the facts.

The biggest mistake that people make is assuming what the law says. I hear many tales of biased tribunals, but very seldom do the takes bear much examination. Litigants are all too often bound up in their own view of what the world should be like, and what they think it's fair or not. The law had no regard for such things. What is fair is what the law says is fair. And that is the end of the discussion.

A clear and level head is required. And bear in mind that many offers of settlement are made immediately before tribunals. Never assume that these are a confirmation that you have a good case or they are scared you will win. That might be the case, but more often than not, at this stage they are economic settlements - it's cheaper to settle than to pay legal fees for the case. And a bird in the hand is often worth two in the bush - tribunals can be lost, and they also award winners much, much less than they think they are going to get. Headlines about massive wins are headlines because they are unusual. The amount most people won is actually very little in comparison. Average awards are around the £6-7k mark.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Masomnia makes a good point, threads like these tend to result in certain posters patronising you (already evidenced) followed by others piling in just to have a dig.

From your other thread the legal advice taken suggests you do have a case, and your employer has continually ignored any attempt at mediation or settlement. Do you have any further questions on your case? If you need any disability adjustments for the hearing be sure to give good notice to the tribunal.
  • sangie595
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Masomnia makes a good point, threads like these tend to result in certain posters patronising you (already evidenced) followed by others piling in just to have a dig.

From your other thread the legal advice taken suggests you do have a case, and your employer has continually ignored any attempt at mediation or settlement. Do you have any further questions on your case? If you need any disability adjustments for the hearing be sure to give good notice to the tribunal.
    Where has the OP been patronised already?
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Constructive dismissal, on the other hand, operates like ordinary unfair dismissal in many ways. The employer is required to prove their innocence, and the easiest way to do this is often that the claimant had not exhausted other possibilities or processes before resigning, or that there had not been an action so severe a breach to merit resigning.
    The rest of your post contains perfectly good advice, but this is wrong. The burden of proof in constructive dismissal cases is on the claimant. The whole point of such cases is that the employer does not accept that there has been a dismissal at all, and it is therefore for the claimant to prove that there was a dismissal pursuant to section 95(1)(c) of the Employment Rights Act 1996, which requires proof that the resignation was in response to a fundamental breach of breach of contract by the employer. The employer is not required to prove their innocence in such cases; the onus is on the Claimant to prove that the employer fundamentally breached the contract, and that they resigned in response to that breach.

And whilst I don't want to be pedantic, the claimant does not need to have exhausted all other possibilities before resigning either. A failure to engage in a grievance process or similar may be relevant evidence as to whether there actually was a fundamental breach, and it may lead to a reduction in damages, but a claimant can still succeed in a constructive dismissal claim having not exhausted all possibilities before resigning providing they have resigned in response to a fundamental breach of contract.

Of course in the event that the employer says that there was a fair reason for the constructive dismissal (which is unusual, but does happen), the burden is on them to show that reason in the same way that it is for unfair dismissal cases. But beyond that constructive dismissal and unfair dismissal cases are quite different both legally and evidentially.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 July 2017 at 12:55PM
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »

Statistically, less than 5% of constructive dismissal cases succeed at tribunal. It is a very high hurdle to get over.

OK, there will be others that are settled in the claimants favour but that will be balanced by ones that are withdrawn.

The harsh reality is that the majority of people who feel that they have been constructively dismissed have no viable legal case.

To a lesser extent that is also true with discrimination claims so it is hardly surprising that the majority of advice will urge caution.

Just saying what people want to hear ultimately does them no favours.

Yes, I would agree that these types of cases are best left to the professionals but the OP has said that they are a litigant in person.
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. At least I know I am not alone in this.

In terms of settlement I was initially offered 20 times less than my Schedule of Loss, which I declined. Then they doubled the offer, which I again declined. And their last offer is again doubled, but still less than double of what I am willing to settle, which is roughly half my Schedule of Loss.

Later I might share some specific information from the case, but for now would just ask a bunch of random ET related questions:
    1. I have a list of cases, which I believe help mine - Case Law. Do I include these in the bundle or leave it for the witness statement, thus leave as little time to the respondent as possible to review them?
    2. In certain situations when examined in court would it be damaging to my case to say that at a specific point in time I wasn't aware that the conditions I have amount to a disability?Or at a later stage I wasn't aware that I have a right to reasonable adjustments? Because when the events were unfolding I had to research my rights and at that time I realised I have disabilities and rights for reasonable adjustments? For example if the respondent asks me why I have brought to their attention the fact that I have disabilities or I require adjustments at a much later date.
    3. Is the witness statement just a narrative, a story? Are there any strict rules on how it needs to be written, what information it can include and what time period it can cover? Mine starts from when I was young to explain the origin of my conditions.
    4. As a litigant in person I have zero experience in attending a hearing and mine spans many days, so naturally I would have many questions along the way. Would it be appropriate to politely interrupt the judge while he is talking to clarify something or do I need to write it down and ask when he is finished? Do I raise my hand to ask or what?
    5. How many hours each day do hearings normally last?
    6. As far as I am aware the witness statements are read first and then cross examinations start where I am being questioned by the respondent and then I question their witnesses. Is this correct?
    7. Respondent sent me a "final" offer and tried to scare me by saying that should I loose or should I win less than the offer they will apply for a cost order for their expenses in the region of £45000. Are they allowed to do that? Should I inform the tribunal as this affects me? Is this likely to happen?

Thank you.
  • sangie595
    Options
    1) A witness statement is a statement of fact. It is what you witnessed. Nothing else. Points of applicable law are your argument - setting out your case through the process and in conclusion. The barrister acting for them probably knows the applicable law by heart anyway! And then some.

2) In all situations you tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is a court of law!

3) There are no longer set rules, but my advice is case reference in the header; page number in the footer, 1.5 lines spacing at a clear 12 pt font. They don't want to hear your life story. They want to hear only relevant facts about what happened in your employment that led to this claim.

4) It is never polite to interrupt a judge - or anyone else, including witnesses - in a court of law. You wait until the end of what they are saying. They will only clarify points of process - nothing else. If you have never even attended a tribunal you need to get yourself along to one or two and watch them. They are open to the public.

5) It can vary, but assume 9 - about 4pm. Lengths of day vary according to areas, cases, commitments, and "natural breaks" (like one side completing their evidence and the other not having enough time left to start properly.

6) You definitely need to go to some tribunals! It is rare for tribunals to hear written evidence at all now - they read it in advance to speed things up. You present your case in full - opening arguments, all witnesses (including yourself) and summation of your argument. Then they do the same, and finally you will both have a chance to make your final points, or rebut argument.

7) Yes they are allowed to do that. A statement of fact is not a threat. Costs orders are not common - but they are becoming more so recently, and increasingly against claimants (which was previously very exceptional).
  • sangie595
    Options
    This is a bit old now - but it works broadly as things haven't changed - http://www.lrdpublications.org.uk/downloads/WitnessStatement.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure