Rent a shelf shop

Options

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yuk, workplace pensions, PAYE, etc. How terribly dull. I have short periods when I'll employ 50 people for a month, and have to set up full payroll and pension whatevers all for a company that will never employ anyone ever again (that's how my industry works). It's a drag.
  • SKIPPY7979
    Options
    I would really interested in this please can you tell me more about it.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    An antique shop near where I live expects everyone with a display to take turns to staff the shop for a day. This might work out better than hiring your daughter and might also avoid having to have someone on the payroll/pensions etc.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This thread is a year old!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Charityworker
    Options
    Well I can update you all on how it's done. The shop opened and is still.open and continues to thrive. Some crafters have left and been replaced by others and this is usually down to either what they are selling being rubbish or them pricing themselves too high. We had a big opening ceremony with a ribbon being cut by the mayor and a double page spread in the local paper. I had a nasty incident just after Xmas when one of the crafters took offence to me being shut for 4 days over Xmas and decided to drop out because of it then accuse me of stealing some of her items. She then left a nasty review on my Facebook page and then got a friend of hers to leave one too. The items she was accusing me of stealing weren't on her inventory or in the photos I always take of their shelves when they restock. But she couldn't explain that. I only employed my daughter for about the first 2 months then she got a full time job so I'm now doing 6 days a week.

I've only got 12 shelf renters now but I have 5 shelves of bought in crafts or items I've made myself which gives me the same income but less hassle.

I did a few workshops but they didn't work out. Now I just have a tarot reader in twice a month who uses a little table in the corner and pays me to be there and also brings people in the shop.

I.had to put my wedding fairs on hold due to the venue having problems but my craft fairs are still going.

Someone sent me a message from this site about shelf renting but I can't open it. Please send it to my Facebook page instead 'OMG Community craft shop'.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,663 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some crafters have left and been replaced by others and this is usually down to either what they are selling being rubbish or them pricing themselves too high.

I had a nasty incident just after Xmas when one of the crafters took offence to me being shut for 4 days over Xmas and decided to drop out because of it then accuse me of stealing some of her items. She then left a nasty review on my Facebook page and then got a friend of hers to leave one too. The items she was accusing me of stealing weren't on her inventory or in the photos I always take of their shelves when they restock. But she couldn't explain that.

I've only got 12 shelf renters now but I have 5 shelves of bought in crafts or items I've made myself which gives me the same income but less hassle.

I did a few workshops but they didn't work out. Now I just have a tarot reader in twice a month who uses a little table in the corner and pays me to be there and also brings people in the shop.

I had to put my wedding fairs on hold due to the venue having problems but my craft fairs are still going.

You seem to have had bad experiences with unrealistic crafters, poor quality crafters and lying, selfish crafters. Let's hope they're not a true representative of crafters
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Glad it's going well!

Lincroft points out your luck hasn't always been good with crafters, and I suspect that'll probably be because by definition they're amateurs playing at business, so don't be too discouraged!
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I was about to suggest looking at Things British in London as they do a similar thing but your up and away with it! :) Congrats!
  • Kathryn_lines
    Options
    Hi.. do you still rent these shelves and where abouts are you in Greater Britain? Hope to hear back from you soon.. kathryn
  • Daisydumpling
    Options
    I rent a couple of shelves with Things British and a few other shops too. It's working really well. I'm also thinking about starting my own shop and will take all the previous comments under consideration. Just need to find the right place :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure