Our Wood Pellet Boiler decisions.........

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Meant to add that I managed to submit a successful RHI application and now better of by over £100 a month.

OFGEM sorted out the glitch on their website.

P
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had an installation done in the North West (based in Warrington) as I'm interested in speaking to someone regarding our property. I'd be looking to get the RHI payments so need that accreditation. Thanks.
  • laceybones
    Options
    I am in Northern Ireland. We done a lot of research into installers before we went ahead. My mother-in-law used one crowd who claimed to be MCS certified and turned out not to be. She only found out when she went to put in the paperwork to claim for the grant. So we really shopped around. My husband went in to them yesterday to have a go at them as we have been without a working boiler for over 2 weeks now. We are still having to use fire lighters to get the thing going. My 6 year old was in hospital over the weekend and we bought her home last night to a freezing cold house. So cross. The installers told my husband all about the problems that people are having with these MCZ boilers and how they are struggling to get parts over from Italy. I was on another thread earlier and have a couple of pointers on who to report the boiler manufacturers to. Really not happy. But, we live and learn. Just going through trading standards at the moment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are having to resort to trading standards over your MCZ boiler. Do you have any more details on the igniter issues you have had? I spoke to someone in Wales at the weekend who has had Compact 18 for just over a year and she said that she started to get A01 errors and her installer replaced the ignition igniter's as they had failed before 2,000 ignitions had taken place. From what I understand the igniters need to be replaced every at 2000. You can get information from the boiler readout on how ignitions have taken place. Keep us posted on your progress.

Paul
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pgatens wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you are having to resort to trading standards over your MCZ boiler. Do you have any more details on the igniter issues you have had? I spoke to someone in Wales at the weekend who has had Compact 18 for just over a year and she said that she started to get A01 errors and her installer replaced the ignition igniter's as they had failed before 2,000 ignitions had taken place. From what I understand the igniters need to be replaced every at 2000. You can get information from the boiler readout on how ignitions have taken place. Keep us posted on your progress.

Paul

Any idea what's the cost on those ignitors?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The lady i spoke (last weekend) who had failed igniter's (on her compact 18), got them supplied and fitted for free as they had failed within a year and had performed less than 2000 ignitions.

I'll be interested to hear how much they are to replace too.

Paul
  • Bentleyboys
    Options
    Hi pgatens
    I have a MCZ hydro installed for 4 years now and just self replaced the ignitor. It cost 25 quid picked up myself from my installer llani solar who are brilliant btw :-) I bought 2 so now have a spare

My experience of MCZ has been nothing but positive I think its more to do with the installer
  • Robsmith88
    Robsmith88 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    FYI - as an update to my issue - my last contact with the installer 'New World Solar Installations' was back in April when they still denied they had wired up the boiler original boiler correctly... even though it was proven adn the same faults on the second boiler, they said they would need to arbitrate this to find who was liable for the cost of the new boiler !! disgraceful behavour !!

New World Solar went into Liquidation about 4 weeks ago so i'm left high and dry.. I'm trying to contact MCS who said that installers have to offer a 2 year installation guarantee as well as the manufacturers warranty... so i am hoping that MCS have something (insurance/an agreement with another installer) in place to cover me for the next 12 months... any thoughts on this?

Also the same 2 directors from the failed New World Solar have now set up New World Energy in Cheltenham but as a new entity they would have no obligations to their previous companies customers.. so they'll just leave a wake of bad installations behind them and jump ship...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi pgatens
    I have a MCZ hydro installed for 4 years now and just self replaced the ignitor. It cost 25 quid picked up myself from my installer llani solar who are brilliant btw :-) I bought 2 so now have a spare

My experience of MCZ has been nothing but positive I think its more to do with the installer

Hi Bentleyboys
    The lady I mentioned above lives in Powys and also had her Compact Red 18 installed by llani solar and she too has been very pleased with the service.
  • WHF
    WHF Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

We have had a pellet boiler for a year now and have reduced our heating costs by at least 50%, having originally been using oil. The property is a large listed 16th century farmhouse so we haven't got up to date insulated walls or double glazed windows. Where possible we have insulated as much as possible (600mm in loft spaces) and have draft proofed everywhere. Wood burners were installed where we had open fireplaces and we have installed good quality radiators that retain the heat for a long time after the heating has been switched off. Our estimated annual usage for the government RHI was 63,000KW, which reflected the age of the house and the unavailability to us of such things as double glazing and cavity wall insulation!!! There is no way we use this much energy in a year.

Depending on the size of your house and estimated KW of energy you'll use, my advice would be to invest in a separate hopper. We have a 3.5 tonne hopper so always manage to get approx 3 tonnes delivered when we still have a .5 tonne as back up. It costs £205 per tonne to have blown in. In our first year we used 11tonnes but given a harsh winter I would anticipate using 13 tonnes. Basically it is costing us between about £2.5 - £3k per year to centrally heat and hot water. Our oil costs would have been £6k. Some friends of ours have a pellet boiler and didn't get a separate hopper. They really regret that now. They are forever having to fill it up and in winter were filling every other day. It is easy to forget to fill it too!!

We also have a 500 litre buffer which is superb. There is always a massive store of hot water available and this can be called on 24 hours a day. Once up to temperature (76-80 degrees C) it takes very little energy to keep it at that level so you don't need to have the boiler running at max for that long at all. You will need space for the buffer alongside the boiler.

The system fully installed with hopper and buffer cost £16.5k and is located in an outbuilding. Our RHI payments started last month and we receive just under £8k per annum, pretty much paying for the system over two years.

As I said before if you have the space, get a 3.5 tonne hopper and a buffer. You won't go wrong. The extra £1300 or so you will have to pay for the hopper is money well spent. You will make that back quickly with the RHI payments and will save money over time on the pellet delivery costs. More importantly you will save yourself a hell of a lot of hassle with having to fill you boiler up all the time. You will also need to have a large dry storage area for all the 10kg bags of pellets.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport