PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renewal fee rental

Options
Recently we have been informed by our estate agent Belvoir that we have to pay a renewal fee on a property that we have been renting for 12 months. The renewal fee £120 which belvoir tells us covers the cost of their time and the "ink". As far as I am can tell they only have to increase the rental amount on the contract. To me this seems a bit of a scam to keep doing this every 12 months. There's no mention of this fee in our tenancy agreement and when questioned, Belvoir stated that the cost was for their admin work, ink and paper... This is excessive.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with this?

Comments

• greendoor665
    Options
    It's unfortunate but very common. These fees will be made illegal soon, but not soon enough for you.

A possible alternative is to not renew your tenancy and allow it to become a periodic tenancy, with the risk that the agent or landlord may serve notice on you (although the eviction process is long and drawn out).
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite normal. I used to rent with belvoir about 9 years ago. Their fees are on their website. Most estate agents have them published online. What branch is your belvoir? They seem to tailor fees dependant on area for example it's £30 in Burnley but £72 in Southampton
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure how they get away with charging different prices in different areas mind.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rip off IMHO. I'm a landlord, and I'm pretty sure my agent charges both parties, just for a minor adjustment to the last one they did.

I've allowed mine to go onto rolling tenancies for now on principal. Both my tenants and me are both happy to do this.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Do nothing and go onto a rolling tenancy. Some of these go on for years. Does depend on the landlord though.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had any similar experiences with this?
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Read:

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
  • juniordoc
    Options
    Chances are that if you've already been there a full 12 months, then it has already automatically become a rolling periodic tenancy and you need do nothing further.
    If you are keen to have the security of a longer fixed term you could negotiate, offer a £100 fee for an 18 month term, or the full £120 for a 24 month term.
  • G_M
    edited 22 November 2017 at 1:07AM
    Options
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Chances are that if you've already been there a full 12 months, then it has already automatically become a rolling periodic tenancy and you need do nothing further.
    If you are keen to have the security of a longer fixed term you could negotiate, offer a £100 fee for an 18 month term, or the full £120 for a 24 month term.
    That is a huge assumption.

You certainly can't start by saying "Chances are that...."

I'd go further. The fact that the tenancy agreement contains the rent review clause quoted, strongly suggests to me that ..... chances are this is a 12 month fixed term tenancy followed by a Contractual Periodic Tenancy to which the rent review process will apply.

edit: ignore this post - thought I was on another thread....
  • juniordoc
    Options
    Sorry I can't see a rent review clause quoted.....
  • G_M
    Options
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Sorry I can't see a rent review clause quoted.....
    Oops! Got my threads mixed up. Best go to bed.

:doh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport