PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Corrupt landlord

Options

Comments

• Chrisw030290
    Options
    http://www.changingliveshousingtrust.org

Its not that changing lives
  • Chrisw030290
    Options
    They have told me they have disposed of it its only two months old. But police have said its a civil matter
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have told me they have disposed of it its only two months old. But police have said its a civil matter
    Yes you've already said that and been given further advice.

What more do you want from us?
  • Chrisw030290
    Options
    Well what are my rights. How do I claim for the cost
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As an aside, if I was living in a hostel the purchasing of a bbq in the first place would have been a low priority.
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Chrisw030290
    Options
    I had it in.my old property so brought it was me
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah, so you arrived at the hostel from another address for a short-term stay whilst awaiting a new more permanent home then?.

The BBQ was purchased whilst you lived at the previous address and you brought it to the hostel along with your other possessions. As they had knowledge of the BBQ from the time you arrived, and have not contacted you about it previously to give you a chance to deal with it, it is worth pushing the theft claim further.

As you are leaving on Monday, wait until you are on your new home and then contact the local press. Nothing like bad publicity to force a landlord to deal with all the issues at the hostel.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Chrisw030290
    Options
    I called the press they wont deal with it unless my photo is the papper which I refused
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are not going to let anyone leave a bbq outside in the garden where anyone can put something on it and set it alight. Health and safety can include having potential for someone to burn things. You couldn't watch the bbq the whole time when it was in the garden. Also I assume that the garden is shared with other residents of the hostel so it isn't your garden exclusively?

If you had wanted to keep the bbq you should have put it into storage. It wasn't safe in the garden anyway anyone could have stolen it. You are not going to get it back. You will just have to accept that you will not have a bbq in your next property and that will be a good thing because it will be one less thing for you to have to move and you won't have to find somewhere to leave in in the future.
  • Chrisw030290
    Options
    Ok I can understand your point

However

Would it been more acceptable to give me warning instead of lieing then when I go to the police they admit they took it

Its been there since april as I lose my room on monday it suddenly gets taken

One housemate overheard the staff say we take that we have that so if they telling me they disposed of it.however someone overheard that dont it count as theft
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure