Why doesn't everyone just buy Vanguard LifeStrategy?

Options
I'm fairly new to this investing thing and have a fair amount of cash invested in Vanguard LifeStrategy funds. In the three weeks or so that I have had them they seem to have gone up nearly 2%.

I've been reading a lot about investing both online and in the books that I have seen frequently recommended.

I've concluded that "passive investing" is the way to go and all the research seems to point to the fact that you might as well just use tracking funds and find a ones with low charges - hence Vanguard for me.

I've come to the rather cynical conclusion that financial advisers might be a breed who make their money from people who have lots of money but haven't the time or inclination to do a bit of research - and people who haven't worked out that you don't need to worry about all the complexity.

It seems to me that there is something of an "open secret" about Vanguard LifeStrategy in that they are great but the industry doesn't want everyone to know this because they'd all be out of a job!

I'm wondering what people on here think of this?

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Because I don't want any exposure to bonds right now!
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murmansk wrote: »
    I'm fairly new to this investing thing and have a fair amount of cash invested in Vanguard LifeStrategy funds. In the three weeks or so that I have had them they seem to have gone up nearly 2%.

Beware that that is a very short timescale and depending on the fund chosen, the fund pricer per unit could fluctuate +- 2 or more %.

Eg. the Vanguard LifeStrategy fund I have went -3 to -4%.

So don't be duped into thinking that they will always give you 2% return.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's fine to go with Lifestrategy if you have the time to research to know which fund to buy and have assessed your risk tolerance to know what equity level suits it.

It's fine if you know the best product to buy that fund in and is most suitable to your personal tax situation.

It's fine if you can monitor developments and changes in the market that may affect your investment or wrapper.

It's fine if you have a small amount of cash to invest and won't hit the ISA or pension thresholds.

For some people one or more of these doesn't match their situation so they may need assistance.
    Murmansk wrote: »

Bear in mind that increases in a short timescale can't be extrapolated and could just as easily go the other way. How would you feel if it had dropped 40%?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because I don't want any exposure to bonds right now!

You don't need to? Use the LS100 fund
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lifestrategy is too biased to the lacklustre FTSE All Share Index
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It would be a poor choice if you want a steady reliable income
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    For a good all round low cost option they are hard to beat. I have held VLS 60 for the past 3 years and happy with returns so far.

There will always be those who want to do better than average but I think over time, they may well underperform the equivalent VLS option.

A big thumbs up from me.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    It would be a poor choice if you want a steady reliable income
    Interesting point. What is the equivalent of VLS for people who need more income than they yield? And if there isn't a natural one, is the answer to stick with VLS and sell a few each month to provide extra income?
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting point. What is the equivalent of VLS for people who need more income than they yield? And if there isn't a natural one, is the answer to stick with VLS and sell a few each month to provide extra income?
    The answer would be stick with VLS and sell a small percentage each year. In years when there is a crash (hopefully not too many) and you don't want to sell at a loss, take the equivalent percentage out of a cash emergency fund.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There isn't one really, you could look at VHYL but I wouldn't want to bet the bulk of my entire retirement income on a single fund. If it's just for extra income or treats like holidays or a new kitchen then maybe VLS would work for you. Horses for courses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure