Childrens savings accounts

Options
Hi,
I'm looking to open savings accounts for my sons who are 15 months and 3 weeks old.
I'm pretty clued up when it comes to my own banking but am unsure how it all works with regards to kids accounts.
My question is how easy is it to switch accounts and transfer funds when the account is in the child's name. Can you just close an account and withdraw the money to pay in elsewhere. How would the banks know you aren't just trying to earn interest in your child's name?
At the moment I am thinking of opening a Halifax regular saver for them each and then at the end of the year move the money to a santander mini 123 account.
Any help would be appreciated x

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At that age you would hold the account in trust so you would be able to move money around on their behalf. There is a limit - £100 I think - on interest earned from parental gifts of money to stop you using your child!!!8217;s name to earn more interest.
    Your plan would work - depending on the amounts you are talking about.
    Alternatively you could try and make them better returns with a S&S JISA
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TARDIS
    TARDIS Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the interest in a tax year accross all accounts (excluding a JISA/CTF) exceeds £100 per child per parent it is counted towards the personal savings allowance of the parent. The banks are not really interested in whether you use their childrens accounts for your own money or not. At least I have never been asked and have easily transferred money from various banks into my accounts to move elsewhere.

As Mallygirl says, if you are happy to lock it away until they are 18 a S&S JISA is likely to give better returns. If you want the option to withdraw earlier or do not want them to automatically get control at 18 you need to look at other options such as those you mention in your post.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It's so hard to know what to do. Although you like to hope that at 18 your child will be savvy and put the money to good use it is a worry that they would blow all. I had a look at the isa's but not sure that's the way I want to go at the moment.
    As they are both so young I just want to get the ball rolling and start off small. At the moment we are only really looking to deposit a small amount each month into the accounts. Probably between £10-£20 each a month as we would rather overpay on our mortgage at the moment. Long term I think the kids would benefit more from us being mortgage free then having a small amount in savings for them.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Have you considered a regular contribution of £25 per month into an investment trust (such as Monks) via a children's plan? You have the choice of keeping the money in your name and you get an annual tax free allowance for the dividends and capital gains when you withdraw. If it does really well you might need to spread the withdrawals over 2 tax years.

https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/how-to-invest/childrens-savings-plan/

The value will go up and down with the stock markets but it might give a better result than saving in cash. We just started doing this for our toddler son.

Alternatively if you are happy for the money to be accessed by the child at 18 then our son's Junior ISA is with Orbis who accept contributions as low as £1. Orbis have outperformed the MSCI World stock market benchmark by an average of 4% per year since starting in 1990. If you delay opening an account then in a couple of weeks Orbis will run an offer where if you deposit the first £100 they will add £100 and you can do this for each child under the same parent login.

https://www.orbis.com/uk/individual/isas/junior-stocks-shares-isa

You could also have a S&S ISA in your name (£100 matched again) which you know is intended to help the child.

If you go down the S&S route you would want to reduce risk in the final 5-7 years to reduce the impact if withdrawal at 18 occurs when markets are low. Vanguard offer target (retirement) date funds that can do this automatically within their S&S ISA and Junior ISAs (which you can transfer to later). The VTR2035 fund may be appropriate for both of them.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investing-explained/what-are-target-retirement-funds
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investing-explained/stocks-shares-junior-isa

Hope this helps,
    Alex
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    I started with a S& S ISA in my name for my daughter - I just put the £80 child benefit in there plus a small lump sum from Grandparents. A few years back I gradually transferred this into a Halifax cash JISA which was offering 6% back then ( I wanted to use my ISA allowance for myself). I now pay the child benefit equivalent into a Nationwide reg saver, plus I cycle money from a young saver account through a regular saver for a small boost. Now that she is 16 there is an application in for a Santander reg saver since she won!!!8217;t qualify for the Halifax one any more. No more S&S for her this close to uni.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2018 at 9:07PM
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    II now pay the child benefit equivalent into a Nationwide reg saver, plus I cycle money from a young saver account through a regular saver for a small boost.

Very noble - our child benefit money goes on takeaways and holidays as we like to waste the government's money!

It's the hard earned money that gets saved and invested; I can't bring myself to spend that.

Alex
  • MallyGirl
    Options
    I don!!!8217;t get child benefit any more - hence the equivalent- so it is all hard earned these days.
  • sovsov1357
    sovsov1357 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depending on the amount you have to invest for your child the Nationwide Smart Limited Access account is definitely worth a look...
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the amounts are very modest, why not a cash Junior ISA @ 3.25% with either Nationwide or Coventry?

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts

If you decide that you have saved enough you can always stop contributing?

Or you might decide to transfer to a stocks and shares JISA or even have both?

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/savings/junior-isa/features-and-benefits

https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/children/junior-cash-isa.html

Or you might just save in your own ISAs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure