PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a property partly using own Ltd

Options

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2017 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Skag wrote: »
    I just wonder, if I am a contractor for 5 years and have got a nice stash of money in my company, can I use that money to purchase a property to live in? Or would I have to take all the money out (and re-tax it) and then buy the property?
    It's not a cunning plan or anything, I just wonder how does one use his Ltd money to buy a property?
    as we've said, company purchase would be tax inefficient, taking the money out would of of course be taxable, but overall may be cheaper.

if the company owns the property then unless the company buys for cash the company will need commercial loans, not mortgages, and they cost more. One client I'm dealing with at the moment is having to pay 8% interest

as an employee of the company you will then have annual benefit in kind tax to pay on your "free" accommodation and the company will pay tax without the sort of releif you'd get if owned personally when it sells the property.

Also, as it appears you have a high income, bear in mind there are "special" rules (ATED) for "high value" properties purchased by companies. If the property cost more than £500,000 to purchase, then the company has an Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (eg that would be £3,500 per year for a property between £0.5 - 1m).

The high rate SDLT rules would also apply

go talk to your accountant, you have barely scratched the surface of your options and their associated tax implications
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Skag wrote: »
    I just wonder, if I am a contractor for 5 years and have got a nice stash of money in my company, can I use that money to purchase a property to live in? Or would I have to take all the money out (and re-tax it) and then buy the property?
    It's not a cunning plan or anything, I just wonder how does one use his Ltd money to buy a property?
    It isn't YOUR money. It's the company's money.
    If the company buys you something for your own use, that's a benefit-in-kind, and taxable. The asset remains the company's, though, and the money from future sale would be the company's money. The company would be your landlord, with all the legal requirements upon it.

For the money to become your money, the company needs to pay you it - and that's taxable.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you actually have an accountant? Because I can't see that he/she would recommend that you leave money in the company for 5 years. If you wish to benefit personally from that cash then it needs to come out of the company one way or another, and unless you are planning to have a year dead for tax purpose (cf. Hotblack Desiato, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams) then taking it sooner rather than later so you can do something to make it work for you would seem the sensible option.
  • Skag
    Skag Posts: 480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am starting contracting now, and haven't yet talked to my accountant (will do in the next few days :-) )
    I just thought I'd run it past here to hear on some views.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What will this company be doing to have revenue of £100K per year while you are doing something else that earns you £30K per year? The company won't run itself, you surely need to be doing something to make that revenue happen. I'm not convinced that your figures hold water.
  • Skag
    Skag Posts: 480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    What will this company be doing to have revenue of £100K per year while you are doing something else that earns you £30K per year? The company won't run itself, you surely need to be doing something to make that revenue happen. I'm not convinced that your figures hold water.

I don't really care whether you are convinced :) Just think that there are contracting jobs out there that offer anything from 500-800 pounds per day.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You haven’t even stared earning it yet? Dear Lord.

Get yourself an accountant and ask them the questions. That’s what they are there for.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    superb method to ensure the OP incurs a section 455 Benefit in Kind income tax charge on an outstanding loan from the company

Not if you repay the loan within 9 months of your company's year end.;)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 December 2017 at 9:49AM
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Not if you repay the loan within 9 months of your company's year end.;)
    indeed, but you did not qualify your statement with that condition did you :cool:
    Instead you recommended that OP take "a loan" for a property purchase. One could say that if OP can repay said sum within 9 months then OP does not need a loan in the first place and can purchase for cash. however, it appears OP cannot access such cash currently as it is perfectly legitimately (and normally for those not needing cash and not wishing to pay higher rates of tax if their lifestyle does not require that level of taxable income) sheltered in the company free of tax as would be the accountancy advice to those with no immediate need to access company cash and no wish to pay tax in withdrawing it as a lump sum
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    ... and unless you are planning to have a year dead for tax purpose (cf. Hotblack Desiato, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams)...

Well... that confused me for a moment.

This being the house buying/selling board, I thought you were referring to the North London estate agent that I used to come across. http://www.hotblackdesiato.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure