TV Licence issue

Options
I'll try and make this short, but I'm after some advice on what to do here. They're taking me to court.

I don't need a TV licence because my aerial doesn't work, an officer was sent round to my house, and me being the honest and polite person that I am, I let him in to show him that I'm being truthful. I was watching Finding Dory on DVD.

I showed him that the TV wasn't working, and he seemed ok with it. Asked me a few questions and got me to sign this bit of paper. There was my mistake...

6 months later I've got a letter inviting me to court, included in this is the report he wrote out. He lied saying I was watching live tv.... even though I showed him that I can't. He would have seen me pause the DVD and switch from my PS3 to TV, to show him that it doesn't work.

Initially I know I have screwed up by signing that form, and I should have read it before signing... but he seemed like a good guy so I didn't think anything of it.

He's been pretty inconsistent with his report though, writing that I can't actually watch TV, but then writing I was watching live tv....

What should I do? Plead guilty or not? My principal is begging me not to plead guilty, but as I signed that form I guess I don't have a leg to stand on...

Please don't shout at me, I know I screwed up...:o:undecided

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you think you are right . Fight it.
    If he liex, then tell him to his face he is a iar. He is saying you are a liar and committing a crime. I wouldnt let him get away with that. No way...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    read https://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/

Do you have legal cover union, house insurance etc?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There are a number of things that can be done to fight this. (And, yes, I would highly recommend fighting it, if only for the principle).

1. Go through the paperwork and establish the parts where the TVL person has made things up. Where you can obtain evidence to disprove what he has written, secure that.

2. Contact the TVL Prosecutions team and tell them that the case against you is false, and you plan to defend it in Court. Suggest to them that they withdraw. They may ask you to buy a Licence, which you'll need to take a view on. It would need to be kept for 6 months after the alleged offence date, it could then be refunded.

3. If TVL do not withdraw, then you need to consider how to approach the court case. Usually, there are two hearings - one to enter the plea, and one to hear the case. You can enter a plea by post, so avoiding attending the first hearing.

4. You can call the TVL person as a witness for the full hearing and question him on the witness stand. You only need to show reasonable doubt in what he says in his statement - it's unlikely that he will remember you or the actual interview, as it was so long ago.

All of this assumes the case is within England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure