Virgin media on demand services: Shocking

Options
I've been a virgin media customer since June of 2016. Since then the on demand service has been intermittent to say the very least. When I signed up I was very clear that on demand services are my primary means to watch TVs and was assured that I would have access to all sports and cinema as part of my package.

Since then I have had nothing but problems, services constantly not being available and being unable to watch the programmes I want when I want.

I must have complained 15 times now about this and asking why it doesn't work and never getting anywhere.

I've now asked to cancel my TVs package (remain on broadband) as I can't pay for a service I don't receive. This will cost £240, I've been told on demand is free and is therefore not a breach of contract on their end despite me not being able to access the on demand service unless I pay for the TVs package.

I can't believe this is just me and I can't believe there isn't a way out? Can anyone help?

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    It's a value-added service, they don't charge you extra for (not) using it, so no compensation is due, and not a reason to terminate. That said the TV service catch up services have always been flakey, but you can access them using broadband, either as part of their App or directly with the channels own service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 8:53PM
    Options
    I've been a virgin media customer since June of 2016. Since then the on demand service has been intermittent to say the very least. When I signed up I was very clear that on demand services are my primary means to watch TVs
    You may well have been assured that On Demand would have the content you require. However, it's availability won't have formed part of your contract which is for subscription television with On Demand as a free-of-charge add on.

Since you will reach the end of your 12 months minimum term in June, can't you simply record the programmes you want to watch until then? Most shows are also repeated over and over anyhow and On Demand does not fail 100% of the time.

On the anniversary of you signing up you'll be able to cancel the TV service without penalty.
  • Kentish_Karl
    Options
    Virgin Media's catch-up/On demand has been down now for at least 3 weeks for all Channel 4 and Sky and Virgin just keep extending the deadline for a fix to be in place.

Virgin Media list Catch-up/On demand as part of each of their TV packages, and there does not appear to be any mention of it being a free add-on service with a "best efforts" level of service. How can part of a contracted service not be covered by the core contract?
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How can part of a contracted service not be covered by the core contract?

Because the Catch Up services aren't contracted. They are free.
    However, Virgin are (or were) unique, in that - no contract for TV? No catch up services, or indeed even a box.

As such these services are included (for 'free' not) as part of the contract, as such I would pursue it on the basis that one needs a contract to view them in the first place and as they are the host platform and they don't work, I would pursue the cancellation without penalty route. And its been done before, though an escalation would be required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure