PPI Dixons finance provider 1980s

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ~Brock~ wrote: »
    I remember buying a Betamax video in the 80's from Dixons using Club24 credit.

Now if that wasn't mis-selling I don't know what was! :p

In reality, Betamax's failure was mainly down to lack of content compared to VHS. It was actually the superior technology. :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In reality, Betamax's failure was mainly down to lack of content compared to VHS. It was actually the superior technology. :)

That and the 1 hour limit of storage, meaning VHS which offered 2+ hours was the more useful for consumers - if the betamax offered 2 hours off the bat, they would probably have won.

I think I remember reading Betamax refused to deal with !!!!!! studios who bizarrely lead the market in adapting to new technology, so when they used VHS it sealed the death of Betamax
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I think I remember reading Betamax refused to deal with !!!!!! studios who bizarrely lead the market in adapting to new technology, so when they used VHS it sealed the death of Betamax
    Sony made a series of marketing mistakes with Betamax, but the real killer was the failure to sign up with as many of the major Hollywood studios as VHS did. The rest is history (rather like this thread;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure