2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have totally lost the plot and have no idea where I am now this year - however, I am going to be spending the rest of it back on the frugal living track and make up for my absolute loss of control and at most times, sense!! :o:rotfl:

You sound exactly like me!
    This year it all went to pot, with helping family and friends in trouble etc. But now I have left myself really in a tricky space.
    My freezer is full of meat. My cupboards are full of all sorts of weird and wonderful things that I don't use enough.
    I am challenging myself to turn it around before the year is out.
    Dgd returns to school on Tuesday and I hope that I will find it easier then. She doesn't want school dinners, so I need to organise the lunches tomorrow.
    I need to go back to the start of the thread and implement as much as I can once more. So I am in a better position for the next year.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 September 2017 at 1:12PM
    Options
    Sounds like a dodgy year for many folks on here, myself included. The past twelve months are one to forget but now things are beginning to settle down I have started to not only look at getting back to basics but perhaps find time to spend on my interests from years ago, before I became so afraid of my debt I got completely stuck.

I'm going to spend time this afternoon finishing off the greenhouse after moving it down the garden. I have plans in place for next year and abundant crops.

My house is beginning to look better and much less decluttered. This will be completed by Christmas. Perhaps giving me enough time and space for a little home brew.

I'm looking forward to the last few months of the year and the next twelve months ahead. Hurray for a bit of stability.:)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Still plodding along and trying to be careful with spending. Got a temping job working in a school office. The travelling gets in down as it is one and a half hours each way by bus - have a book to read so that helps. Bring my own lunch into work. At least it is a job for now. Also got a job interview on Wednesday for a permanent job. Cannot believe how this year has flown. Still on medication for my depression/anxiety. Have been struggling with it at the moment as feeling very tired. Have booked to 3 plays at a local theatre for the coming months.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • I haven't updated for a while but need to get back om the boards and start living frugally again.

I am on a mission to reduce my mortgage by a minimum of 3k by the end of December...I'm going to have to totally change my attitude as I have been extremely complacent over the past few months -shameful really :o

I am going to spend nothing other than on essentials for as long as possible and make the most frugal choices wherever possible from today! :D
  • parsniphead
    Options
    After a recent slip I have reassessed what I want from life and how I want to live. I realised I want to go back to my previous green lifestyle. I used to be such a squirrel tickler as DH called me. Ironically this part of life slipped when I became bogged down with debt. With hindsight I should have stuck to it and would have been debt free sooner.

I have recently moved my greenhouse to a better position and have spent this week sorting out the veg plot and planning next season. I have also made a decision to live on a mostly vegetarian diet to cut costs a bit more. I know DH will join in to, he's not meat mad but DS is another issue.

I feel I have a new sping in my step and are really looking forward to the future. Tonight I'm focussing on October's budget to see where costs can be cut and a bit more debt paid off.

I'm really going for it up to Christmas.:T

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone explain the swagger thing that people are doing in simple terms please.i dont understand.is this a money saving or money making system?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Can't help in afraid Minnie...I have no idea!

Parsniphead...we sound like we are both on a mission to sort ourselves before the end of the year! ;):D
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Minnie - Sorry I am also unable to help.
  • parsniphead
    Options
    I have no idea either minnie.

It has to be done Squirrelgirl. I've really got the bit between my teeth. I hope you achieve what you want.

• Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Cannot believe that it is the end of September. It has just flown by. My food spend was £140.52/£150. Pleased I was under budget this month. Have been in my temp job for a month now. Still do not know how long for as there is restructuring happening. Have not done any decluttering this month as like the last 3 months. Think I am on top of any big decluttering. Only general things like paper - leaflets etc. Have had quite a few NSD's this month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport