PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can opener help. (no, I haven't gone mad!)

Options
I am not even sure if this is the right part of the forum, but you guys are a helpful lot so I thought I would ask...
I want to use some empty tin cans to store my daughter's felt tip pens in, but my can opener leaves a sharp edge inside the can. Does anyone know of a can opener that leaves the can 'safe', with no sharp edges so I can reuse it please.
Thanks in advance
PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't think of any tin openers that wouldn't leave a sharp edge but what you could do is use the lid of a Pringles tin and cut a circle out of it and use a nailfile to smooth down the plastic (its not sharp only slightly rough) and glue this to the top of the tin making it safe for your daughter.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Willowpop wrote: »
    I am not even sure if this is the right part of the forum, but you guys are a helpful lot so I thought I would ask...
    I want to use some empty tin cans to store my daughter's felt tip pens in, but my can opener leaves a sharp edge inside the can. Does anyone know of a can opener that leaves the can 'safe', with no sharp edges so I can reuse it please.
    Thanks in advance

Magican leaves smooth edges. They are quite pricey, but i was lucky to have one substituted for a cheap butterfly one.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I knew there was one that didn't leave sharp edges an it looks like magican is the thing for me. Thanks for that. :beer:

I like the idea of the pringles lid…. I think I will collect some and make some cans into storage tubs too, using the pringles lid as a top for the can. :T
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2014 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Hi,
    I knew there was one that didn't leave sharp edges an it looks like magican is the thing for me. Thanks for that. :beer:

I like the idea of the pringles lid…. I think I will collect some and make some cans into storage tubs too, using the pringles lid as a top for the can. :T

why not just cut the Pringles tube in half and use it.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or you could use the Pringles tube and make them as long or short as you want. You could cut one in half and make 2, one end with the lid as the base. Then you wouldn't have any sharp edges.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

d

Cross posted. :)
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Willowpop
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi,

d

Yeah, or that. I could do that. Good thinking, Batman. :)
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April 2014 at 11:37PM
    Options

For safety's sake though, unless it was something for yourself i wouldn't risk the can incase it is smooth, but still too sharp for your DD. Although those on the shabbychic thread might have ideas for what to use to create foolproof safe edges.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just checked on the last tin I opened and it seems smooth and without any little points to catch - I used a Good Grips opener.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Willowpop
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Will have a look at that one too, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure