Air to water heat pump systems

Options
We are looking at changing our heating system currently economy 7 storage heaters which are not very effective, also some radiators run from a woodburner. As we do not have mains gas in our area we are looking at alternatives, specifically heating we can switch on as and when required. Looking at lpg gas, and air to water pumps, there are incentives with potential income from air source heat pumps, we would not be interested in the air to air as too disruptive to install.
Does anyone have any experience of air to water pump system, I have heard larger radiators are needed ?

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are looking at a air/water heat pump, then it is not designed to be switched on and off as needed. There are timers, but, these are meant to just reduce flow temperatures (max about 4C for rads) and not for room temps.
    Not always required to change existing rads, but if you are taking out storage heaters then maybe a good idea in those areas. You could replace the storage units with fan coils, but these can be more expensive than rads.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

There are lots of threads on ASHPs on this forum. In particular this thread gives the links to some trials carried out on behalf of the Energy Saving Trust.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2968958&highlight=should+must+do+better
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, I've got one and had it for nearly seven years and I'm very happy with it BUT if you are seriously considering one then make sure you know how they work and how to operate them. They do not work like a conventional system and getting it wrong will cost you a lot of money and you'll still be cold.

They are not suitable to just turn on and off, they work best when gently idling witha flow temperature of around 35 degrees C. For every degree above that it will cost another 2.5% or thereabouts on your leccy bill so you need radiators that are capable of working at low temperatures. Likewise you shouldn't turn it off overnight or during the day, just turn the stats down a couple of degrees as it will take a long time to reheat the place.

Our system will take a couple of days to get the house up to temperature from stone cold unless I tweak the temperature control.Once set up though we've got nice even heat throughout the bungalow.

You need to ensure that the whole system is designed properly and not just bung onto the end of the radiators that you've already got. We installed it in conjunction with an overlay underfloor wet system but an alternative is for fan convectors which are quite effective with low flow temperatures.

I've got some info on my set up if you want to PM me
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • bazm
    bazm Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, we are considering replacing our lpg bottle central heating with ASHP. Two questions (looking at Matelodave!);
    I have already replaced all the radiaters (they were all small slimline ones, looked old) with the largest double ones I could fit. Is this ok?
    Secondly, the gubbins that fits inside the house will be in the immersion heater cupboard. Does this make a noise as it will be in our main bedroom?
    Many thanks
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:48PM
    Options
    You'd have to do some heat loss calculations to see if your radiators would be large enough bearing in mind the lower flow temperatures. It's also worth looking at your insulation as well to reduce the heat losses.

You can get heatpumps with all the "gubbins" in the outside unit, they are called monoblocs and the circulating water, which contains antifreeze flows through the outside unit.

A split system has the compressor unit outside and the refrigerant to water heat exchanger and other stuff inside. Ours is a split and the circulating pump is the same as that in a conventional boiler - not ever so noisy but certainly noticable. I doubt its any noisier than your existing LPG boiler.

You really would need to get a proper assessment to see if it's viable. Get several quotes though and make sure it all gets explained very thoroughly. You do need to compare system designs but hopefully they should all come to a similar conclusion regarding heat losses and pump sizing.

Heatpumps do work but the systems do need to be properly designed and installed. Those who just bung one on in place of a boiler and dont understand how they work or how to use them are those who end up with a system that doesn't perform well and can cost a lot to run especially if you have high flow temperatures and try to run it like a conventional system
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just to reinforce the above posts, it is essential that you get the correct installation and to qualify for RHI a registered firm.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bazm wrote: »
    Hi, we are considering replacing our lpg bottle central heating with ASHP. Two questions (looking at Matelodave!);
    I have already replaced all the radiaters (they were all small slimline ones, looked old) with the largest double ones I could fit. Is this ok?
    Secondly, the gubbins that fits inside the house will be in the immersion heater cupboard. Does this make a noise as it will be in our main bedroom?
    Many thanks

The rads have to be sized to the room, with the flow temp and insulation taken into account. The diameter of the pipes to the rads also has to be what the ASHP manufacturer says they must be. Ideally pipes should be insulated to under the floor. Otherwise....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure