PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We visited a second time to measure (and take a heating engineer to check the boiler which was showing an error code(. However this has been dragging on since August and the house we're buying is empty and in the middle of nowhere so we"ll be visiting again before exhange just to check it's still standing :rotfl:
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    Vendor is pushing for a speedy exchange and completion now, but we don't want to give notice to our landlord until we exchange.

Even though we're spending thousands on the house, I really do begrudge having a month where we pay both rent and mortgage.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    First time buyer - have you asked if they'd be willing to contribute to your rent to bring completion closer? I wouldn't be giving notice before exchange either, but being near the other end of the chain (and 5 months in after a chain collapse) I'd be more than willing to put something towards the rent of the people at the bottom of the chain if it meant actually being able to move more quickly! Worth asking :)
  • Firsttimebuyers
    Options
    We thought that Cheery Daff, but we're not in a chain so I don't think we've enough leverage.

Then to complicate matters, we've realised our landlord hasn't registered our deposit anywhere, and I think we're going to have problems when it comes to giving notice to him too - fun and games!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Oh dear!

I'd still say it's worth asking - if the people you're buying off want a shorter time between exchange and completion they might be willing to pay for it! (unless you're buying a new build of course...)

Good luck!

I'm going to chase for an update tomorrow - it'll be 6 weeks since our buyer found a new buyer after the first one pulled out. I know everything stopped for Christmas, but it would be nice to know if there had been any progress... We're 22 weeks in now from having our offer accepted.

Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting... I ended up turning off email notifications to my phone altogether as I couldn't stand the stress and disruption to my working life :o Now I check once a day, usually around 2pm so if there's anything I can still respond during the same day (I'll usually check in the evening too).

I also don't answer the phone to anyone other than my own estate agent or solicitor - cannot be doing with panicky grumpy phone calls from seller's estate agent while I'm at work asking me why someone else hasn't done something, why my solicitor won't answer the phone to her (he always does to me ;) ), why the bank haven't issued the mortgage yet (like I know the answer to that!). She can send me an incompetently-written email instead and I'll answer it when I've calmed down!

Sorry, just reliving the horror there from before the mortgage was approved :o :rotfl: Glad that's out of the way at least!
  • FloppyDisk
    Options
    All is explained on our side - our vendors are bonkers. Overwhelmed about the sales process, overwhelmed with life, mustn't be pressured, poor things.... I feel like I might be posting on this thread for quite a while, unless we find something better and more proceedable!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    I moved in yesterday after nearly a year of stress and worry. My first purchase fell through after 5 months, and this one took 1 month. It's not only better than the house I was buying, but was 5k cheaper. So don't lose faith if it isn't going well, sometimes things fall through for a reason.
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another day with no exchange. Looks like it all may fall apart because two parties are being stubborn about paying for work, so we've decided that we'll call the EA in the morning and offer to pay if we can exchange this week. We can't really afford it, and it is nothing to do with us, but if rather pay it than lose everything we've already spent at this point. Just hope they won't be stubborn out of principal.

Just as I was leaving work someone shouted across the office to ask how it was going and I properly burst into tears, really embarrassing! If I have one piece of advice to anyone just starting out it is to tell as few people as possible - at this stage the last thing you need is everyone asking about how it's going!
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FloppyDisk wrote: »
    All is explained on our side - our vendors are bonkers. Overwhelmed about the sales process, overwhelmed with life, mustn't be pressured, poor things.... I feel like I might be posting on this thread for quite a while, unless we find something better and more proceedable!

my vendor kept saying "wife has had enough with viewings and workmen visiting for quotes" - only had 3 workmen visiting for quotes, each visit less than 10mins. But he seems to whine about everything!:rotfl:
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:09PM
    Options
    We have had 2 viewings. Not even going to attempt a survery until they find something yo move to - I imagine the process will speed up considerably at that point!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport