Renting vs buying in 2017

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    So Manchester is like Belfast then. A semi about that size up from me "sold" for 750k a few weeks back. Belfast has equally mental areas. Bubblicious.

I guess all main cities have their "areas".

Crazy money...
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2017 at 3:43PM
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely. Conversely you could buy a semi detached in Gorton for £100,000. Massive price swings depending on area.

Didsbury apparently varies greatly even between East and West Didsbury and also even a particular street can cost significantly more than one next to it for a seemingly similar house.

Theres a semi for sale in Didsbury at the minute asking for "offers over £1 million"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49876113.html

Seems nuts to me, but puts prices in Northern Ireland in perspective i guess - wages here arent that much higher either. Maybe 25% tops in the areas i'm engaging with.

In my experience wages are a lot higher

In my field (Accountancy) Graduatate schemes in England pay £20k+, whereas its around £14k in Northern Ireland.

Same for experienced accountants in business - about £35k in NI and possibly £50k in England.

Even 25% wages increase is very significant - a wage of £30k in NI would be equivalent to £37.5k in Manchester - and the cost of living (other than housing) isn't much different - in fact I find England can be a lot cheaper for a lot of things. For a yound person living a home or house sharing - that extra £7.5k per year, should be an extra £7.5k saved, meaning its much quicker to build up a deposit.

For comparisons - there are 4 bed semi detached new builds for sale for £500k in Holywood

https://www.propertypal.com/28-alexandra-park-holywood/475478
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    In my field (Accountancy) Graduatate schemes in England pay £20k+, whereas its around £14k in Northern Ireland.

When I was leaving university (2001) there were some graduate schemes in London offering £35k starting salary for CIMA, highest paying in NI was £15.5k
  • motorguy
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    In my experience wages are a lot higher

Same for experienced accountants in business - about £35k in NI and possibly £50k in England.

Even 25% wages increase is very significant - a wage of £30k in NI would be equivalent to £37.5k in Manchester - and the cost of living (other than housing) isn't much different - in fact I find England can be a lot cheaper for a lot of things. For a yound person living a home or house sharing - that extra £7.5k per year, should be an extra £7.5k saved, meaning its much quicker to build up a deposit.

For comparisons - there are 4 bed semi detached new builds for sale for £500k in Holywood

https://www.propertypal.com/28-alexandra-park-holywood/475478

I'm not in disagreement with you in any of that, and i did say in the area i am engaging with here in Manchester.

It was just an observation of what i'm seeing / hearing around the office here.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not in disagreement with you in any of that, and i did say in the area i am engaging with here in Manchester.

It was just an observation of what i'm seeing / hearing around the office here.

You should tell the ones around the office the Belfast market is mental. A semi sold for 750k and the wages are 25% lower there. Show them the link below and tell them it actually sold so puts Manchester prices in perspective.

https://www.propertypal.com/verona-6-deramore-drive-malone-road-belfast/366641/photo-6
  • motorguy
    Options
    You should tell the ones around the office the Belfast market is mental. A semi sold for 750k and the wages are 25% lower there. Show them the link below and tell them it actually sold so puts Manchester prices in perspective.

https://www.propertypal.com/verona-6-deramore-drive-malone-road-belfast/366641/photo-6

Yes, as i said earlier it does seem that all major cities have their hotspots for pricing - even Belfast it seems.

I guess with Greater Manchester those hotspots are more prevalent and stretch out further from the city centre given the sheer size of the area (something like 2.6m people now).

I wouldnt like to have to pay £500,000+ for a semi detached anywhere (let alone in Belfast) and fortunately here in NI you can buy something an awful lot better / bigger for less outside the capital city.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options

I wouldnt like to have to pay £500,000+ for a semi detached anywhere (let alone in Belfast) and fortunately here in NI you can buy something an awful lot better / bigger for less outside the capital city.

That's very true. But the majority of jobs are in greater Belfast. For me, I'd rather sink an extra 300k and see the kids an extra 1-2 hours a day times 2 parents. Well worth it.
  • motorguy
    edited 17 November 2017 at 10:30PM
    Options
    That's very true. But the majority of jobs are in greater Belfast. For me, I'd rather sink an extra 300k and see the kids an extra 1-2 hours a day times 2 parents. Well worth it.

Indeed. If you've children still living at home and your job role is in Belfast i can see why that would be a constraint

Fortunately neither applies to my wife and i so all good. :)

Happy to neither have to commute to nor live in Belfast however that's just what works for us and our lifestyle choices.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    What’s commuting like in Manchester? They’ve a tram system in the city which makes getting about quite easy, but are there many living 30 or 40 miles away and driving in?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport