Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

Options

Comments

• Glen0000
    Glen0000 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Zebedee did not say that he had a salary of £12K, he said he lived on £12K.

Even if he was not working the minimum he would get is £16.5k (take home) and that doesnt include housing benefit. If he is renting he will also get his rent paid too. His claim that his friend lives on £12k makes no sense, unless his friend is not claiming everything he is entitled to.
  • kickstart_3
    Options
    I might be wrong but i thought you couldnt just give up your job and sign on ? Dont they make you wait for 6 months before they will pay benefits if you give up your job ?
  • Glen0000
    Glen0000 Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    kickstart wrote: »
    I might be wrong but i thought you couldnt just give up your job and sign on ? Dont they make you wait for 6 months before they will pay benefits if you give up your job ?

Not if you go on the sick. My back keeps playing up, I am sure I could wing it.
  • jonuk7
    jonuk7 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I think your a bit of a joke to be honest, there is people like myself who are currently on Benefits TRYING to get a job (Literally ANYWHERE) and then people like you who just think "oh well its easier to be on the dole etc..." at best you will receive a total of around £100 per week on benefits and belive me with rent, bills, food etc it isnt enough there are plenty of people i can guarentee who would rather be working than on benefits but everyones circumstances are diffrent i understand but just because you feel you dont earn enough Benefits arent the way to go.

Try looking for a better paying job, as an example i get odd shifts with an agency at the min which pays £250 a week and its in your account every week only downside its maybe 1-2 a month so i cant rely on this as a sole income, there are plenty of other people in this world who manage on what they earn wether it be a brain surgeon or a warehouse packer, until your that bad off that your getting into debt and cant afford to pay bills thats when you need to start looking at other options.

Sorry i just really detest people who use the excuse of "I dont earn enough" thats a load of bol*&^% if you ask me.
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    I agree with the OP.My hubby feels the same about working but has far too much pride to live on benefits.He actually likes his job,loves it even but still gets very down about not having the time or the money left for house repairs or anything else.
    Even 30k doesnt go all that far after taxes,mortgage,council tax etc,etc,etc.
    Our family income is £25,500 before any tax or anything and after tax,N.I.,mortgage and council tax alone we have just £5 more a week than a family of the same size on benefits.Then we have to pay for prescriptions,glasses,school dinners and anything else that people on benefits get free so actually we are poorer than we would be on benefits,and thats on a £25,500 salary!!!
    It is easy to begin to think you would be better of leaving the rat race entirely when people who don,t work seem to have it better.
    Why don,t you look into reducing your hours and claiming working tax credits on top of that.I hear all the time people pushing for a better work/ life balance,go for it.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • ted_ted
    ted_ted Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    I am a hard working man who is thoroughly fed up. It seems every month the cost of living is going up and up and I am struggling to see the point of working anymore. I hardly get to see my family and we don't have much left over at the end of the month anyway. My wife has just taken on a part time job and she is miserable and it means we are spending even less time together.

I am skint if I work, so I am thinking of giving it all up. Yes, I will be just as skint on benefits, but at least i will be able to spend time with my wife.

I have 2 mates on benefits and they have a great life. Do the odd job on the side to make ends meet. No commute, spend every evening and weekend with the family. Have lots of time to do odd jobs round the house.

Please tell me what is the point of working 40+ hours a week when Gordon seems to take every penny?

How pathetic! The sacrifices people make to bring up a family and sustain a living. My husband works long hours and we hardly see each other. I work 3 days a week and weekends. I am like a single mum all week and hubby the same at weekends We are by no way rich!!! At the end of the months we have little or nothing left over. £30,000 a year and whinging!! Get off your soapbox and get to work. Life is about hard work not just lazing around doind s*d all
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
  • dearbarbie
    Options
    I keep getting spots. I wonder if that qualifies for long-term sick too.
    :A
  • mummy_Jay
    mummy_Jay Posts: 495 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a morgage? you are aware they wont pay it until you've been off work 39 weeks or so, is risking your home worth it?

Anyway, I'm under the impress that maybe its the Job, it's not giving you quality time with your family, are you doing silly amounts of extra hours? If your paid for a 40 hour week are you working a 40 hour week?, or are you doing a job with loads of business trips? Or is it the commute?

Also remember you don't get benifits if quit your job for something like 6 months, are you sure you wouldn't be better off looking for a different job that is more suitible for your family life? Or even talking to your company about it, if your commute/hours are getting you this stress out they are going to take notice as they wont want you going on the sick due to stress issues.

Are you sure the grass is really greener on the otherside
  • jonuk7
    jonuk7 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    Not if you go on the sick. My back keeps playing up, I am sure I could wing it.

belive me ill be the first on the phone probably daily to inform them of your "bad back" and just show them to this post mate. Stop looking for easy ways out and just work yes its hard get over it.
  • dearbarbie
    Options
    jonuk7 wrote: »
    I think your a bit of a joke to be honest, there is people like myself who are currently on Benefits TRYING to get a job (Literally ANYWHERE) and then people like you who just think "oh well its easier to be on the dole etc..."

Sorry i just really detest people who use the excuse of "I dont earn enough" thats a load of bol*&^% if you ask me.

I know exactly what you mean. My bf's brother is desperate to work and has been for years, he is so willing and gets the odd thing here and there.
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport