PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

purple bricks v traditional agent

Options
I have the unfortunate task of selling my late parents house. As a novice in the property world it appears to be a no-brainer to list with purple bricks rather than a traditional agent. Eg when I moved home a few years back the agent charged nearly 4k commission, despite that the buyer was actually introduced by our neighbour. Given that nearly all potential buyers search on the web, is there any reason a traditional agent might justify so much more fees than purple bricks? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• victoriavictorious
    Options
    Purple Bricks is not the only online agent and imo certainly not the best.
    Hatched and House Network each have pretty good reputations and I would personally go for one of those.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jandrew wrote: »
    I have the unfortunate task of selling my late parents house. As a novice in the property world it appears to be a no-brainer to list with purple bricks rather than a traditional agent. Eg when I moved home a few years back the agent charged nearly 4k commission, despite that the buyer was actually introduced by our neighbour. Given that nearly all potential buyers search on the web, is there any reason a traditional agent might justify so much more fees than purple bricks? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you just want it in Rightmove then surely doorsteps will be better than PB?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I went with emoov and they were good, and had a proper sales progression team. You won't be tied to a crap conveyancing warehouse like vendors often are with PB.

Get it valued by local bricks and mortar agents at least. You'll probably be able to negotiate down to around 1% + VAT.

I assume you'll be doing the viewings yourself. PB do offer a viewings service as well, but they're a nightmare for potential viewer to book (I didn't view three PB-marketed properties on my last search due to their agent cancelling).

If you think there's any chance someone very local might buy, nothing to stop you knocking up you own sign and giving it a week or two before going with an agent.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jandrew wrote: »
    I Eg when I moved home a few years back the agent charged nearly 4k commission, despite that the buyer was actually introduced by our neighbour.

If you do decide to look at traditional agents as well, look at their contracts carefully.

Last time, It sounds like you must have signed a 'sole selling rights' contract.

If you had signed a 'sole agency' contract, you shouldn't have needed to pay commission for a buyer introduced by your neighbour.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Husband and his ex went with PB when they sold their place. PB were a bit nondescript - they got a few people round including the eventual buyers but did nothing to really help the sale along like a normal agent might.

But I think using PB got hubby and ex tied into using eezie conveyancing and they were useless. For about two months we were told "exchange is tomorrow" and then some problem would happen and it was delayed. We pulled out of our house purchase as it was too stressful and waited to make a new offer until we had completed. You could never speak to the right person. It was call centre staff all the time who weren't qualified. Even getting the private email of a manager from a lawyer friend didn't speed things up. Whole thing was ridiculously stressful as the buyers wanted the property by a certain date and it took two months longer. I was worried they'd pull out.
    So if you do use PB, watch out for being tied into their legal services. ezie conveyancing had several company names - I think premier property lawyers was one.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    Just use doorsteps vs purple bricks, only £99 to get on rightmove zoopla. 98% of buyers come from rightmove zoopla.

Even purplebricks is looking pricey now.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I am (touch wood) nearing completion on a Probate sale, and wish I hadn't bothered with the local agent.

They have been worse than useless, given my buyer the impression I'd give a further reduction due to it not being my property (emails as evidence), given away personal information to an unconnected party....there's more..... and they will be earning the best part of £3k out of it!

Considering I have had to do most of the running around and chasing. I may as well have gone with Purple Bricks or Doorsteps (not heard of them till today).
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    I was unlucky to find myself in a chain with PB at the start last year and they and their appointed legal representatives were really awful and came very close to the chain collapsing due to their lack of professionalism so I would definitely avoid like the plague.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with House Network. Granted I've been on the market a while due to two collapsed sales (buyer pulling out etc) none the fault of House Network.

What I like, personally doing my own viewings. I speak from experience and viewing 48 houses and the only ones we have ever made offers on have been when the sellers did their own viewings. Conventional EA, waiting 3 weeks for viewings at weekends on Saturdays because they have no agents to do them, no viewings on Sundays. I did three viewings over the weekend, one rung yesterday at past 6pm and wanted to come today (Sunday) and I was able to oblige. Just so happened viewers were visiting friends and saw the sale board and wanted to view whilst in the area. A normal estate agent and we may not have had the viewing today.

If you want someone to hold your had through it, they may not be the best ones as they do kind of leave you to it but I raise a ticket online and someone comes back to me within minutes. They always chase up feedback and whatever I ask them they do. I like just managing it all online and not having to ring EAs. You have the option of a weekly call in with your 'negotiator' but I've only used it once.
  • jandrew
    jandrew Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for all the replies, just a quick follow up, surely buyers and sellers are free to choose their own conveyancers, aren't they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure