Tree surgery?

Options

Comments

• cliffski
    Options
    we just got a quote for removing 7 trees and changing 1 tree into a bush and taking 1 dead stump out for £450 + VAT. This is in wiltshire and its a proper country. YMMV.
  • Treefellas_2
    Options
    Well said tree contractor.

I'm a tree surgeon training to be an arborist. I have my own biz and all the qualifications and equipment cost me a fortune! It really boils my blood that people expect someone to climb up trees in all weathers, swinging a chainsaw around with the possibility of falling, loss of limb/head(it has happened on loads of occasions) or being completely squashed by the tree and then complain that your quote is more than 50p!!!!!! Let me tell you that the people who try and haggle tree surgeons down are welcome to unqualified, dangerous, have a go clowns! Their money and business isnt welcome regardless how bad a recession we're going through! Don't come running to us when the branches or tree come crashing through your house or car! The people who think tree surgery prices are high are generally pen pushers or office bound zombies who have no idea what real danger at work is all about! Their idea of danger is wearing two odd socks and worrying if the boss will tell them off!

£150 for the work you want doing? I wouldnt waste my time or get outa bed for that! Heres an idea, why don't you get your very knowledgeable husband to do it for nothing!

Wake up people!
  • Treefellas_2
    Options
    Just realised that post of hers was from 2006. Ha ha.

P.s. Tree work prices have now gone up! ha ha.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you barking mad ;)
  • Treefellas_2
    Options
    Ha ha. Yes apparently i am barking mad, so others wood leaf you to believe.
  • CharlieBilly
    Options
    wood a load of rubbish
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Touchy bunch these lumberjacks!!!

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Yes and a bit slow on the business accumen front. Telling potential customers that they are stupid and shouldn't expect to haggle on their services is rather short sited business wise

Any service industry always should be aware that there are others out there providing those services and almost certainly someone will do it cheaper and quite possibly better (despite how good you may think you are). Never take business for granted especially in a recession

£150 however for the origianl post sounded reasonable compared with what we have paid for similar work (in the SE of UK)
  • alexarb
    Options
    'tree contractor' got it right - all of the kit, qualifications and insurance for just a 3 man team is 30-40k+. The 500-600 you give them for a days work doesn't go into their pockets! by the time a boss pays for his/her employees and all the overheads, he/she will be lucky to see 160 a day. ( partly aimed at 'snugglepet20' for her remark about her sisters BF taking in £3,000 a week)
    I find it interesting that most people will moan about paying 500 quid for a full days work from 2-3 professional tree workers, to expertly fell/prune their trees, without breaking anything and leaving the site spotless....but will be happy to pay a mechanic 300 quid to do a couple of hours work on their car. :doh:
    Rant over.
  • tree_contractor
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up guys, I realise a lot of people read the info provided on this site and just wanted to provide a little information (albeit a huge post) to inform people of what is involved in the tree surgery trade. It is important to respect the community as mentioned previously, people who work in other aspects of life are potential futureclients and this post was not created to cause any mal feelings between people, just to promote some awareness of the trade.

The agricultural industry has been hit hard these last 10 years and began really with the foot and mouth epdiemic. Agricultural contractors such as tree surgeons were either refused access or given restricted entry to some of their biggest clients at that particular time. Since we have had other out breaks relating to the agricultural industry - avian flu, swine flu etc etc. It seems like this recession has had an impact, but nothing compared to the aforementioned agricultural crises.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure