Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You may be able to claim JSA (Contibutions -Based for six months, but your wifes income is too high for Income-based.

I don't think there are any sanctions on Contrinbutions-based due to you giving up your job.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • miss*whisper
    miss*whisper Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    You may be able to claim JSA (Contibutions -Based for six months, but your wifes income is too high for Income-based.

I don't think there are any sanctions on Contrinbutions-based due to you giving up your job.

Sorry but that's wrong. There are potential sanctions to JSA no matter if Income Based or Contribution based if you are deemed to have given up your job voluntarily. For a period of up to 26 weeks.

However, they do ask for you to give the reasons why you gave up your job. From experience - used to work for them! - a LOT of people refused to give the reasons in writing for the Decision Maker to look at and just wrote "personal" or just ticked "no wish to comment further" on the forms.

Without the reasons justifying your decision to quit the job, the Decision Maker has nothing to go on and the decision probably won't go in your favour.

HTH
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options

Sanctions can apply to either element, however, the reason you have given for leaving your job may constitute just cause. Difficult to say without full details though
  • squidgeone
    Options
    Appreciate everybody's replies, just to clarify the my situation.

I work about 25hours a week at Dominos Pizza, my mother used to mind the children (10 & 3) whilst my wife’s a full time nurse and I work evenings. The problem being now my mother can’t mind the children any more and the shifts my wife can be different every week! I am studying with the open university for my degree and have 2 years left.

At the moment we do get child tax credits but the minimum amount.

So as my wife earns around the £25000 not sure what I am entitled to!

Can work but only in between 1 & 3 pm as I mind my 3 year old the rest of the time.

Hope this clarifies thing better and appreciate all the advice and any further insights.

Regards

Cy
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Options
    squidgeone wrote: »

I work about 25hours a week at Dominos Pizza, my mother used to mind the children (10 & 3) whilst my wife’s a full time nurse and I work evenings. The problem being now my mother can’t mind the children any more and the shifts my wife can be different every week! I am studying with the open university for my degree and have 2 years left.

Can work but only in between 1 & 3 pm as I mind my 3 year old the rest of the time.

Hope this clarifies thing better and appreciate all the advice and any further insights.

Regards

Cy

As I said previously, depending on other factors you may not receive a sanction.

However, regarding your availability for work 2 hours a day is too little. I, personally, would doubt a person's availability if they said they were only available for two hours per day, lest it be due to a disability
  • miss*whisper
    miss*whisper Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    squidgeone wrote: »

Regards

Cy

Sorry but as Dookar has said, your restricted availability - only 2 hours a day - would have an impact on any JSA entitlement.

I think your best bet is to do some research into childcare (childminder/nursery etc) so you can calculate what you would need to fork out if you found full time work (for JSA purposes that is 16 hours a week or more) check with tax credits if the amount you receive would change. Have a look at Directgov, there's lots of helpful info on there.

HTH
  • catty_person
    Options
    Hi there I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I may be forced to take my occupational pension soon. I am 57 y/o and have worked all my life. I have read that there is a disregard of £50 for those in receipt of a pension and apply for contribution based JSA. If i have a pension of say £130 per week which is £80 over the disregard would I be entitled to any payment of JSA at all
    catty_person
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I may be forced to take my occupational pension soon. I am 57 y/o and have worked all my life. I have read that there is a disregard of £50 for those in receipt of a pension and apply for contribution based JSA. If i have a pension of say £130 per week which is £80 over the disregard would I be entitled to any payment of JSA at all

No you would not receive any payment because the £80 difference is higher than the JSA contribution rate.
  • catty_person
    Options
    Many thanks I thought that would be answer.
    catty_person
  • xraydeltaone
    Options
    Hi,

I will shortly be made redundant from a position abroad where I have been working for a few years (no UK contributions). I will have to return to the UK and wonder about the following :-
    1) Will I be eligible for Income based JSA?
    2) I have around £13000 savings which will affect the JSA - could I not just pay this off my mortgage?
    3) I Inherited a flat years ago which I kind of view as my pension. Will this affect the JSA in any way (ie - will I be expected to sell it before I get any JSA?).

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport