Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you lovely peeps :)

All this tidying up is just about starting to have an effect :) and the biggest thing I can do now is start to sell things I've put by to sell :D I might start easily, by relisting on Amazon. And I need to think about taking up that NSandI offer thats just started up. So:
    - selling stuff (which will compensate for the science fiction DVD and the bicycle maintenance book I bought yesterday on Amazon :o)
    - another round of rejigging finances - new accounts, that sort of thing.
    - continuing in the garden. The buddleia nearest the house, whose rotten branches I just pulled away on Sunday, is the obvious target - the box hedge can't be seen from the house, whereas the buddleia is right outside my kitchen window, and droops over into next door's. When that's gone, I can legitimately work up to chatting to the neighbours about their leylandii.

Not much of that today though - I'm off to a local National Trust place this afternoon with my sister :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to have you back! Enjoy this afternoon!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thought you might find this interesting KC:

http://www.madfientist.com/vicki-robin-interview/
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Not sure whether you saw on my thread KC, but free worldwide Ancestry this weekend :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Good to have you back! Enjoy this afternoon!
    Thanks madvix :) it was lovely, a property with Virginia Woolf connections in a tiny village. A guy did a reading, and he made Virginia Woolf **funny**, I kid you not. Astonishing :D
    Thought you might find this interesting KC:

http://www.madfientist.com/vicki-robin-interview/
    Ooh, Ed, you know me well :money: got it open in another tab and reading it through now. "Is this worth the life energy?" Excellent question.... Definitely links in to the Kondo work I've been doing on the Old Style board on here.

I think my garden work (aka navvying), my trip out yesterday (I'm considering buying a National Trust membership, as my sister has one and we could blitz down here in the south and also in the north west, for a year or two) and selling stuff (which I mentioned yesterday) to free up space and money, are definitely linking in.

Wonderful :j:j:j
  • Karmacat
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Not sure whether you saw on my thread KC, but free worldwide Ancestry this weekend :)
    Didn't see it yet, madvix, I've been reading through the linkie that Ed put in, but I'll be over at yours in a minute. I might wait a bit on Ancestry - I need the bigger pic stuff now, like very early Irish stuff - the last Irish births of interest to me are in 1790 and 1848, and there just isn't much left. Plus American stuff, especially New York. I realised my library has a full Ancestry membership, so I can go there to research across the board.

Wait, there *is* a "recent" Irish birth, related by marriage. 1889 or so :p you can never tell :j
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Popped to my new Waitrose for a few spends :o I didn't get myself into gear properly, but not too horrendous, not really. Frozen broccoli, yummy gluten free choccies, yummy pesto, and a dozen eggs - £6.55 - slight overpricing on the other things more than balanced by the eggs, from the Essentials line, a dozen free range for £2 :j

Whoosh .... see me blur by, a slight amount of tidying will be going on now, to welcome peeps into the house over Easter :j
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Didn't see it yet, madvix, I've been reading through the linkie that Ed put in, but I'll be over at yours in a minute. I might wait a bit on Ancestry - I need the bigger pic stuff now, like very early Irish stuff - the last Irish births of interest to me are in 1790 and 1848, and there just isn't much left. Plus American stuff, especially New York. I realised my library has a full Ancestry membership, so I can go there to research across the board.

Wait, there *is* a "recent" Irish birth, related by marriage. 1889 or so :p you can never tell :j
    Save

Irish records are a nightmare! My paternal grandfather's family are from Waterford. We have a typical Irish surname - which can be spelled several different ways - in the records one member of our family (being poor illiterate folk and not being able to spell / read themselves to check details...) had the surname spelled one way on the birth records, another for his marriage records - and yet another for the burial records! :eek: :rotfl: Can make tracing people quite hard :):D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    My children gave me NT membership for my birthday a few years ago and it was great, but after a year we had done all of the places within easy travel distance. Most of the properties seem to be in the north and Midlands. So well worth doing, but not for long!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Karmacat
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Irish records are a nightmare! My paternal grandfather's family are from Waterford. We have a typical Irish surname - which can be spelled several different ways - in the records one member of our family (being poor illiterate folk and not being able to spell / read themselves to check details...) had the surname spelled one way on the birth records, another for his marriage records - and yet another for the burial records! :eek: :rotfl: Can make tracing people quite hard :):D
    x
    Absolutely! And of course, if they spoke Gaelic, but the records were written in English by an English official ... heaven only knows the result!

Just had a look at what's included - the guy with the Irish birth in 1889 temporarily emigrated to Canada, and might be in their 1911 census! You just never know :beer:
    My children gave me NT membership for my birthday a few years ago and it was great, but after a year we had done all of the places within easy travel distance. Most of the properties seem to be in the north and Midlands. So well worth doing, but not for long!
    Excellent news! Thats good to hear that someone else thought the same way.

It's Easter! Bank holibobs! Oh, I'm retired ... I don't work anyway :rotfl:
    Save
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills