Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    We are led to believe a nice car, four holidays a year and other material possessions make for a good retirement.

I think that probably something that is inherent in society rather than specifically limited to those in or looking forward to retirement.

There are an awful lot of retirement threads out there that talk about how you need to achieve 75-80% of your pre-retirement income in order to enjoy a comfortable retirement. On the other hand there are (probably even more) blogs that talk about how taking a very frugal approach to spending in the route to early retirement and who shun every aspect of consumption.

I see things differently and essentially retirement (and early retirement) is about choices and expenditure is about being conscious about the reasons for the expenditure. Is expenditure an emotional prop for something which is missing in life or is it something you want /need. At the end of it there is nothing wrong with wanting stuff if that what's really makes you happy but (and this is the economist in me) there is an opportunity cost. That's what credit card companies live on.

I imagine our retirement expenses will fall considerably but thats because our lifestyle will change considerably.

The problem nowadays is that for any situation / problem there nowadays there is so much information on the internet and so many different view about the right or wrong way to do things. The challenge is sort the good from the bad and forming an individual opinion of how to best apply those views to your own situation.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I was browsing the internet this evening and I came across this comment:

"Many of us should already be retired, yet continue to work out of fear that we'll have to actually utilize our safety margins"

I would tend to replace the word "should" with "could". I wonder how much trusth there is in that? A fair amount I would imagine but what are we actually scared of?

There's a fair bit of safety margin in our retirement plans and I have been hanging on to some extent to hit 50 (only 9 days now :-)) as that's when my pension benefits become fully vested.

For me this comes down to a couple of things mostly it relates to the children i.e. what happens if their life doesn't work out as planned and they need a leg up - shouldn't I be able to help them? In addition, despite the guarantees that exist around bank accounts what happens if someone suddenly pulls your funds out from under you....of course that couldn't happen...although a friend of mine had some significant funds invested in Cyprus :eek:
    To be honest I also worry about the company where I work being a victim of the recession and suddenly being unable to pay its pension committments.

Or pehaps I'm being paranoid being so close to taking the cliff jump ;-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    A nice car and material possessions are wonderful things to be able to afford. If you can afford them you don't have to buy them. It is the not able to afford things even if I wouldnt buy them anyway that I would find upsetting.

I've been reading this thread with interest for some time now, but don't generally have much to contribute. Whilst I am now 50, I still enjoy my work and don't usually wish to retire ( though there are some days;)).

I'm not in the 40% bracket, though close enough and don't have any motoring expenses or telephone expenses. Particularly since becoming a single person, I've become more aware of the need to save more for old age, but to do that means limiting what I want to buy. I suspect that if I felt richer, then it might not bother me so much. It's also been one of those years when there has been a high incident of people I know dying, several of them before 60, and I'm trying to find that balance between enjoying the here and now and to save for old age.

Anyone have a crystal ball?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Crystal ball for sale, one owner from new, unforeseen circumstances force sale ...............

I tend to assume that the more money people have (measured in terms of over / under the HRT rate) the easier it should be to feel "comfortable" and the easier it is to build up a safety margin.

I suppose it is easy to say "you buy two new cars every two years, you don't have to" as opposed to "you need to buy less food" or "you need to save on gas, electricity etc".

We have different views of "essentials".
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    To be honest I also worry about the company where I work being a victim of the recession and suddenly being unable to pay its pension committments.
    Not sure if you're working for a UK co ML? as if it's a UK co and you're worried best to go asap as existing pensioners are better protected than employees not drawing yet :T.

To quote the illustrious Miss Gaynor:
    "Go on now go! Walk out the door!"
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    Crystal ball for sale, one owner from new, unforeseen circumstances force sale ...............

Brilliant :D
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Not sure if you're working for a UK co ML? as if it's a UK co and you're worried best to go asap as existing pensioners are better protected than employees not drawing yet

That changed quite a while ago, when the Pension Protection Fund was established and the better protection changed from being in receipt of a pension to being above Normal Pension age.

That was in response to the previous system encouraging those who were aware a company was about to fail (Directors, etc) from commencing their pensions, getting all or nearly all their pension protected whilst workers lost huge amounts (commonly 60-70% of their pension before the Financial Assistance Scheme was established/expanded).
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    My grandmother wasn't impressed by money lol. I remember her taking me aside and telling me to remember that 'a good reputation is far more valuable than money' :).
    My mother was the same; "You may have no ars* in your trousers, but you can look anyone in the eye." :D
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    With my 50th birthday approaching this Thursday I thought it would be worthwhile to reflect on a thread which I started almost four years ago and look to the future as to what comes next.
    For many people retirement is a binary decision centered on financial security and whether they will have enough money to live on irrespective of what that might mean. “The number” thread has for some time focused on how much people need to live on but most answers seem to revolve around the minimum security level rather than on a particularly ‘desired’ income level or what some might refer to as a more comfortable retirement.

But what does a comfortable retirement look like?

I fear when we start planning for retirement (whether in our 20’s 30’s or 40’s) we see ourselves in retirement as our current self that is without the accoutrements of old age. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have some ache or pain or was recovering from something or other – and I am a reasonably fit 49 year old! That has some consequences for retirement planning, firstly the obvious – what do you want to do and how long will you be able to do that activity to the level you would like? Secondly, a ‘comfortable retirement for me isn’t just about spending money per se, but whilst 20 years ago I might have been happy to backpack across Europe and sleep on a park bench, nowadays Mrs ML just wouldn’t get any enjoyment from that. But the key here is that you have to get the balance right between going when you have enough money and having the retirement you want.
    I’m quite risk averse but other than waiting to reach 50 to retire for purely financial reasons (the vesting of some pension rights) I think we are now at the right point where we still have some very good years to look forward to and spend some time fulfilling an ambition to become a ski bum :j

On the other hand (from a financial perspective) I do think about a couple of things and those are 1) By retiring now I am sacrificing an awful lot of money (earnings) over the next 4-5 year 2) what responsibility do I have to those around me (children etc) to remain here to support them as they go through there next few years of getting set up. Those are quite strong motivations. I am more comfortable with the first decision point than the second as the first is simply a question of whether the pull (of not working) is stronger (it is). For the children the question is less clear and I’m sure this will play into the retirement decisions of many others. I hope the answer is a simple one – they will have no debt on leaving university, will have access to unlimited parental guidance (;-)) plus the safety net that at any point they can come home and (ultimately) a fairly decent inheritance. Whatever else happens is their choice.

So coming back to the opening statement on the binary decision. Finance is the main driver but what about those intangible life motivators? What’s important? What is our purpose? I met a colleague the other day who is 7 years younger than and has decided to quit. I asked him why and he said that someone had said to him three years ago to be sure that he had really found his purpose. He has spent the last three years thinking about that! ….and that got me to thinking. There is an awful lot of garbage talked about finding yourself (and most people will describe the process with a smirk using the “oh so you need to “find yourself” do you” kind of statement. There is also a lot written on the internet about how you need to have a retirement plan as to how you will fill you days. But I think the problem is this: Most of us live our lives on autopilot and the established wisdom is to spend your retirement flipping over to another autopilot – just filling in the days until death. I read this article (alright, I know its wikihow but it said something to me):

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Yourself

So what did it say?

Well, it said to me that actually retirement should be the opportunity to get off autopilot and start to challenge what we want to be. It should be the ideal time as all of a sudden we become unencumbered from the pressures of making a living, performing the role of breadwinner, employee and so on. So, whilst I have some ideas about what I might do the challenge is developing an approach that helps me identify some of things that I don’t yet know are important to me.
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    Nice summary ML.

I've always taken the advice of having something planned for retirement to mean 'don't just sit back and do nothing'. I think that having a bit of exploring, geographically, and/or 'self', as part of the plan is absolutely fine, perhaps even a necessity because lets face it, who is actually exactly where they thought they would be 10/20/30 years ago; i.e. plans change. As long as you're keeping yourself and your mind active.

Getting close now! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure