Clydesdale 40 Day Notice ISA 2% (£24k+)

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    gwapenut wrote: »
    Because if I need to withdraw without notice, I lose interest on the whole balance
    Not so - you lose interest on the whole amount you withdraw. If you need a tenner you take a tenner out and they give you a charge on the tenner - on the "withdrawal amount". Not on £25,000 or whatever total amount that was sitting next to it untouched in the account.
    Terms applicable to a Cash ISA – 40 Day Notice only:
    (vii)
    If you wish to close or transfer all or part of your Cash ISA to another ISA provider,
    you must provide us with 40 days notice. Transfers instructed without giving 40
    days notice will be subject to the following terms:
    (a)
    a charge will be made that is equivalent to 40 days gross interest on the
    withdrawal amount.
    (b)
    the charge will be deducted first from any accrued interest, but where there is
    insufficient accrued interest to meet the charge in full, any additional sum will
    be deducted from the capital in your Cash ISA – 40 Day Notice account.
    (c)
    subject to the timeframe set out in Clause 12(ii), the transfer to the new ISA
    Manager will occur; and
    (d)
    if the balance of your Cash ISA – 40 Day Notice account is zero, it will be
    closed.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks guys, my mistake, I must have been thinking of a different ISA which I read about this week and which - unusually - charged interest on the whole balance not just the withdrawn part.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gwapenut wrote: »
    I must have been thinking of a different ISA which I read about this week and which - unusually - charged interest on the whole balance not just the withdrawn part.

You were right enough. The terms of this account have definitely changed and very recently. The excerpt bowlhead has posted did not read like that before. Previously it mentioned the 40 day charge but did not reference the withdrawal amount. When you read the small print it was clear that it was charged on the whole account balance. They've obviously thought better of it. It was discussed here from post #30:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67697038
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of interest, what happens if a bank reduces the interest rate? ie Yorkshire reduces it from 2% to 1%. If one did not wish to 'agree' to the reduced rate could one transfer out before the rate drop even if that was less than 40 days...?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Yes, because they have to give you at least 2 months notice of changes to the rates (unless the rate change is favourable to you). So, if they said the rates are dropping to 1% and you didn't like that, you could arrange to go elsewhere with time to spare, without ever being exposed to the 1% rate which you didn't want.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Not so - you lose interest on the whole amount you withdraw. If you need a tenner you take a tenner out and they give you a charge on the tenner - on the "withdrawal amount". Not on £25,000 or whatever total amount that was sitting next to it untouched in the account.

If you do not give 40 days notice.

1) THe minimum charge is £30
    2) The ISA will change to a Instant Access ISA (which is approx 1%)

Anyway 40 days notice isn't bad.
  • Fella
    Fella Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has anyone done a partial transfer out of the Clydesdale 40-day ISA?

I have more than the new £75K FSCS limit in one of these accounts so was going to transfer out enough to take the balance down to maybe £70K. It's a little unclear what the process is though, as on their website it simply says to contact the receiving provider & let them handle it, but in other places it states you need to give Clydesdale 40-days notice. Just wondered if anyone had done it?

ta
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Worth reading this thread which has discussion and links about the impact of the reduced FSCS limit on fixed term products, the gist of which is that for the rest of this year all providers should allow account holders to reduce their holding down to (but not below) the new limit without penalty.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does this account take transfers in
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    Does this account take transfers in
    This question is answered in bold on the main product page linked from post #1!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure