PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Options
    As for Rick Stein I could not resist because it was only £7.99 at bol with free delivery - although their delivery is painfully slow so it probably won't turn up for another 2 or 3 weeks - at that price though, I can wait and enjoy the TV series in the meantime. :)

You know what I've gone and done don't you :whistle: ;):D

Is there anything I should know about this company before I commit to buy (apart from buying something else within 6mths that is) as I hadn't heard of them before. And guess what ... the new HFW I mentioned is only £7.99 there compared to £12 on Amazon so I'm going to cancel that and get it from bol instead :dance:

Cheers hun! :T :A
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Are you a member of any of the cashback sites like greasy palm or r points, etc? Because if you go through your cashback account (and are a new bol customer) you get £6 cashback which makes one of your books free or very cheap (depending on which books you choose). And if you were to buy 2 books that would be your 'commitment' (to buy one more book within 6 months) taken care of as far as I know. As for bol - well I think it's fair to say that their customer service standards are not on a par with amazon and neither are their delivery times! On the other hand everything I have ordered from them has turned up eventually and the savings are good especially when you take advantage of their offers like free delivery... I think they are owned by some big media company? and they have been around a while... As long as you don't mind waiting a while for your books I would say that they are okay. I have placed 4 orders with them over the past year or so. As for cancelling at amazon - I assume this means you would have to pay amazon for postage on the soup book - so you would have to work out if the difference in price/savings was worth it (bol don't seem to have the soup book (yet) I am hoping they add it next month (and knock 60% off Nigel Slater then too) as they seem to update their 60% off books each month..?)

Hope that helps?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I haven't got any Nigel Slater books, surprisingly, but that one looks interesting.

CQ did you get Rick Stein and HFW? I was having a look on bol today and they have added the new Nigel Slater to their 60% off list (with free delivery until end of Sept) - sorry probably shouldn't have told you! :) I am very tempted but will resist for now (wouldn't mind seeing it in a bookshop first but it's not published until 03 Oct).
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    CQ did you get Rick Stein and HFW? I was having a look on bol today and they have added the new Nigel Slater to their 60% off list (with free delivery until end of Sept) - sorry probably shouldn't have told you! :) I am very tempted but will resist for now (wouldn't mind seeing it in a bookshop first but it's not published until 03 Oct).

Yes, I put the order in but as yet have heard nothing from them, but then I'm wondering if that's because the HFW book isn't published until mid-October so they're hanging on to send them both together. I'll have to check my credit card balance and see if they've taken the money yet.

I'm not even going to go look at the Nigel Slater :p I cancelled the Amazon order then re-ordered the Soup book along with Jamie's Italy one (to get the free postage of course! :whistle: ) so that's my lot for this year and they can be an early xmas present to myself :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Made yummy soup,

Over night in the slow cooker I cooked :

celery (a head of it ) 2 med potatoes, and a carrot (all finely sliced through the FP).

Just added stock , used cubes as no HM chicken stock left, salt and pepper to taste.

In the morning stuck it all in the blender whizzzzz and voila beatutiful !!

easiest thing in the world!!
  • Eliza252
    Options
    hmm..
    im gonna make some soup tommorow as well
    have got six tonnes of carrots and some sweet potatoes to chuck in too!
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    i made soup for lunch today - some left over baby spuds, halved or quartered depending on size and a leek, all thrown in with a knob of butter and a stock cube.

sometimes I add a little grainy mustard for variety

Yum and warming too. It's suddenly v cold here in edinburgh. brrrrrrrrrrr.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    That leek, baby spud and grainy mustard thing sounds good - leek and grainy mustard, yum! :)

I made chunky minestrone yesterday (Jamie Oliver recipe) - only problem is I made enough to feed a small army! (leeks, onions, cabbage, garlic, carrots, rosemary, basil, spaghetti, tomatoes, celery & loads of freshly grated parmesan on top - yum!) So it's minestrone for the next 3 days.. don't think I can freeze any because the chicken stock and bacon I made it with was previously frozen - looking forward to getting the soup book that Curry Queen mentioned, amazon have reduced the price even more so it's 55% off now. (The royalties from the book will go to homeless charities including The Salvation Army and Centrepoint)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007205406/
    -- Author Unknown --
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Fry some onion, garlic and bacon. Add, chicken stock, and potato cubes. Boil until the spuds are tender, adjust seasoning. Thicken with corn starch and add some single cream.

I nice crusty French stick and you will be bloated in no time.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    I made a yummy soup yesterday - parsnip and butternut squash (plus an onion - there's always got to be an onion :D ). Sweated the veg in a little butter then cooked in vegetable stock, zapped with the stick blender and thinned with milk. Quite a sweet soup - the children loved it!
    [
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport