PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Hi All

Just a quick update from me. I did a complete record of all food in the house last weekend and then made meals based on what I had and bought just what I needed. I didn't have a huge stock of food, but it freed up space in the freezer, so I decided to make meals for my son and I for the whole week his morning and then I froze them in some meal prep containers I bought online. I have a whole week's healthy meals ready for when I get in from work each day - no cooking all week :j

Still on target for annual budget and even included my meal prep containers as part of the total - £625.98/ £3250

Thanks to Zippy, Coxy and Lynnejk for this thread. It is even helping me shed a few unwanted lbs. :A
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First main shop was £71.70 but a couple of top-up shops make my March total so far a slightly scary £98.17 :eek: and it's only the 4th!

Have started tracking in YNAB again so there is no hiding...I didn't like it first time round, but have figured out a better way to use it including a "Cash" account and it is working better for me.

Meal plan is something like:

Chicken Fricassee and rice with peas
    Spag Bol
    Sausage and chickpea casserole (as I have chickpeas not cannellini beans - will that matter? prob not I guess)
    Pork steaks with stuffed mushrooms and chips
    Enchiladas
    Some leftover creativeness!

Have tinned/frozen fruit, ice cream, various snacks and cakes and hoping to do all work lunches this week too.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We spent another £14.13 on the household groceries and £5 for DDs lunches.

Total so far £27.02/£310 (£588.41/£3650)

I'm watching Extreme Cheapskates... all I can say is 'wow'; I was brought up in a frugal household... but I've never seen anything like that :o
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Spend of £33.93 between L!dl and greengrocer today. Desperately needed fresh fruit, veg, salad, milk and packed lunch items for DD. Probably going to need bread in next 2 days but hope to avoid the shops as much as possible.

Meal plan based around freezer / cupboard items as per the 'using up freezers....' thread.

sukuk (F), salad and actifry chips
    chicken (F) fajita wraps with salad
    chicken fried rice (bacon (F), sausage (F), chicken (F), onions, eggs), curry sauce
    mince (F) and tatties (adding some haggis (F) and veg to the mince and gravy)
    sausage (F) and beans casserole with fridge veg
    chicken (F) curry, steamed rice
    cheese, veg, bacon triangles YS ready roll puff pastry (F), salad
    grilled halloumi, sweet chilli sauce, salad wrap
    beef stroganoff (F left over from Xmas roast), fridge veg, rice

Plenty of fruit and yogurt in fridge.
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening folks

Third NSD today :j

Hope you all having a great weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd for last 5 days. ive so much stock in its embarassing!! going to stay away from the shops for another week hopefully then have a rotate the freezer/larder day!! xx
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i did a weekly shop on Friday at lidles that came to £19.58, it included a sack of spuds that'll last the month plus a huge sack of onions that'll last about 3, luckily I have a cool cupboard I can store both in.
    this morning I've written and priced a months shop of stuff to get at morries, luckily I have a lift! the list has lots of cleaning stuff on it but still totals £44.80 which seems a massive amount to me, it does tho have £12 of coffee on it for dad (I stock him up every few months) so £33 doesn't seem too bad.
    I bought a big lump of beef the other week, in febs budget, so tonights roast beef dinner will also make cottage pie for 2 days and probably a chilli or something for another 2 days. lunch is chicken stew soup, blitzed from yesterdays stew :D
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well! I've to pick up my new flooring tomorrow as I was too poorly yesterday. Given it's just by a supermarket I'll be shopping on Monday instead of Wednesday. Also I'm giving blood on Wednesday so wouldn't be able to go that day anyway so it all worked out quite well. Hoping it doesn't throw me off.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD today, as I am not going out ;)

Dinner is Chicken Casserole with mash and peas - bung in and leave meal for a lazy day :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Between Aldi, Asda, Iceland & Savers my current balance is £86.03/£160
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure