Cashing in ISA

Options
I would like to know if it would be worth me cashing in my ISA. It is a unit growth ISA and approx value £6,000. I have been paying a £100 a month for the last 5 years to the ISA. I would like to purchase a new car and wonderded whether to use the cash in the ISA or take out a bank loan.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well the real question is -

Do you believe that the growth on your ISA in future years will be higher or lower than the interest rate on your loan.

If the answer is higher then leave the money in the ISA.
    If it's lower then use the ISA money.

It is impossible for anybody to give you an exact answer because nobody knows what the prospect is for growth in the future.

Is there anyway you could borrow the £6K on a 0% credit card.
    I know this ight not last forever but it might give your money longer to grow in the ISA.
  • Suzz_2
    Suzz_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    If you've been paying £100/month for 5 years and its worth £6000, that's a 0% gain!!! Quite good - some of my investments have done far worse over 6 years.

I recently had a valuation of a pension fund that had been running over 8 years. I calculated I'd paid in about £6500 and it is now worth about £5000!!

I personally would be loathed to take it out now, having not gained anything. But, as lisyloo says, no-one knows what will happen in the future.

A compromise may be to cash in half of it and get any more thay you need at 0% off a credit card.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the pound cost averaging you have achieved over the last few years means that you must have bought some units very cheaply. It would be a shame to call it a day now. However, if you need the money and have no other source, then fair enough.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure