PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Self Building

Options
Seems like a great way to save (or make ;)) money.
Astute people such as those on this site must have done it.
How easy was it?
Is there a free way (insert your own Hart to Hart joke here) to find a good plot?
What are the pitfalls?
Any thoughts gladly received.
...and then the window licker said to me...

Comments

• Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    Thanks for the point in the right direction. I'll have to do some digging ;D
  • JayneH_3
    JayneH_3 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck with your plot hunting....reasonable plots are like hens teeth in our area! :'(
    So many shoes, so little time....
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    So I've noticed. In the Herts area plots are v expensive, comparatively speaking. :o
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    The rule of thumb valuation is that the plot is worth one third of the amount you would get if you had a house built on the land and then sold the house.

Put another way the price of the house is one third for the land, one third for the materials used to build the house and one third for the builder who built the house.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • knuckledragger
    Options
    But it WILL be mine all mine, muh hu hu hah... (exit stage left to scary music) :D
  • Han_naH
    Han_naH Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll need tradesmen... see Arrgh! Tradesmen!

Seriously, you are gonna bet let down so many times you will be crying!
  • Boojum
    Boojum Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    You'll need tradesmen... see Arrgh!  Tradesmen!

Seriously, you are gonna bet let down so many times you will be crying!

Not necessarily so. I built my own bungalow a year ago, with virtually no hitches from start to finish. The trick is to get a reputable construction firm to do the site planning and management. Note - construction firm, not builders. Ours was recommended by our architects.
  • Pressleyno1
    Options
    Boojum, or anyone else. Whats the average cost, all in of a self build ?
    Feb 06 *****Highest Debt*****
    Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
    *****Current Debt*****
    Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:
  • Milky_Mocha
    Milky_Mocha Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have sky? Watch Discovery Home and Leisure. there's a programme there called "How to build a House" which shows every day I believe. It's very intersting. Apart from tracking a self-build couple from start to finish over a number of weeks they show previous successful self-builders.

I agree that its better to get a construction company to do it. A colleague of mine did just that and it went as smooth as breeze for her.

One thing I've noticed is that all the self-builders on the programme so far (especially those who managed it themselves)lookvery different from they did at the start of the project - they now look old and exhausted (I'm not exaggerating). I don't think its worth that amount of stress!
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure