iPhone v HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• daindian
    daindian Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had the desire fof a week n a half then returned it was faulty am now on the galaxy s shame htc deside to bring out a htc desire hd with hd recording which shld support the normal desire with 2.2 update so thats pointless
  • bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2010 at 11:57PM
    Options
    That would be the HTC Ace, also rumoured to be called the HTC Desire HD, at which point support for the HTC Desire will be pretty much dropped, as usual for HTC.
    htc is still supporting the hero which was released a while ago and it got the 2.1 update recently. its hardware wont allow more upgrades i guess. but lite versions of 2.2 might still be available on xda soon for the hero too.

what do you mean by support, the phone has a 2y guarantee on my 18m contract. do you mean to say every future software they release for newer phones must be backwards compatible with older phones? they might try but it isnt practical to be able to do that with everyphone for every company. if they do it is a bonus for me or i have got other options elsewhere. if anyone has unrealistic expectations it is easy to be disappointed with anything in life.

the htc desire already supports xvid, dvix etc, try out rock player. the hd support should come soon too for the desire too. i dont see anything wrong in any company releasing new models. see the field of computers, every month something newer is released with cheaper prices, the same applies to phones. various mods available on xda and other places have allowed desire to do hd recording as far as i am aware, so the official support should come soon too. the frame rates on the mods were decent too as far as my reading goes.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • daindian
    Options
    Whats the point in releasing a hd version of the same phone when both 2.2 the only diff will be a better camera
  • bubblesmoney
    edited 21 July 2010 at 12:11AM
    Options
    daindian wrote: »
    Whats the point in releasing a hd version of the same phone when both 2.2 the only diff will be a better camera
    as far as i know the screen size is different and some other specs are different including the screen resolution, plus think it is coming with 3.0 ginger bread version and not 2.2 froyo. there might be another with keyboard. http://topnews.co.uk/29345-uk-retailer-leaks-htc-desire-hd-specs (dual core processor, aluminium body, bigger better screen etc)

each will fit people with different needs and budgets. they are releasing 6 more models by the year end and also dual core 1.5ghz and 2ghz models in the pipeline too in both android and new windows mobile platforms. if there werent buyers they wouldnt be releasing the models would they!

amoled and super amoled will suffer because of production constraints and development will go more towards other technologies as a result. htc wont make the mistake of being stuck with a single supplier like samsung again if they have any brains after the amoled shortage.
  • daindian
    Options
    Lol too many phones will kill the market
  • bubblesmoney
    edited 21 July 2010 at 12:28AM
    Options
    too many models hasnt killed the car market has it? and phone models are probably less than car models i guess. production and numbers wont peak till land line numbers are exceeded and we are not there yet!

ps: see video shot in HD 720p with the froyo rom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B5SM6nlQ4&NR=1 seems ok frame rates to me. i would be happy with that video shot with a phone.
  • Rochdale_Pioneers
    Options
    Surely with the enormous developer community over at XDA Developers, you don't need HTC support? I briefly resurrected my HTC Tytn, unlocked it, flashed it with a variety of custom ROMs and used it quite happily running Windows Mobile 6.1 for a few months until I got my HD2.
  • bubblesmoney
    Options
    some reports that xda is launching an app store! just read it in the past few days while surfing around the net.
  • geordieracer82
    Options
    The reason for upgradable OS is quite simple, app developers write their apps to work with more recent versions of the OS, and tend not to offer older versions for older versions of the OS. For a person with a Hero, less than a year old running 1.5, or even a brand new Sony Ericcson Xperia X10 Mini to be told, no you cannot have the official Twitter app because you are not running 2.1 is a bit pants.

Apple have set the bar pretty high with their excellent after sales support for the previous iPhones, and so far most Android phones have not had anywhere near this level of support, and this is what people have grown to expect. Its absolutely crazy that there are so many phones out there running so many different versions of the same OS, and as such being so restricted in the apps they can run!

The Sony Xperia X10 should never have been released with 1.6, its a joke, its a brand new phone running an OS which is several version behind the times, and thus crippled in the apps it can run.

Frankly half the problems are down to custom UIs like Sense & Motoblur, which means when Android is updated, the manufacturers have to update their custom UI, and this causes updates to just not happen. Frankly if I were in Googles shoes I would put my foot down and say no more custom UIs, work with HTC and the other manufacturers to integrate some of the good features of the custom UIs into the Android core.

Android will fail if it does not tackle this issue, I can already seeing it getting a reputation, my friend got an X10 mini, and was given a leaflet with some good Android apps on it, after I had to explain that some of them were simply not available to her as she had an old version of the OS (the official Twitter app and an app for our religious Faith), she simply returned it and got an iPhone!

And as for XDA Developers, why should people have to use it, isn't that what HTC should be doing anyway, IMHO, these phones should be supported with updates for at least 24 months from release, otherwise Android customers will simply flock to Apple.
  • flyingscotno1
    flyingscotno1 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Otherwise Android customers will simply flock to Apple.

Your spot on that Android needs to start improving support, at least for 2 years after release. Certainly that is the problem working with so many phone manufacturers where as Apple are all in house.

The quote however won't exactly happen for a number of reasons- mainly cost. I know a few folk on Android who want a smartphone but price precludes Apples offerings. Until an iPhone Nano comes out that is cheap as chips (£15/20 contracts rather than £35/40), Apple won't manage to get Android customers flocking over at the lower end of the market.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure