Data Protection Query: Taking Photos of Kids

Options

Comments

• DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    They probably aren't. So you do what consumers do, vote with your feet.

I can't be alone in thinking "probably", "perhaps", "likely" are a bit too woolly when it comes to the protection of children?

I did say I was also interested in the social side of the argument - whether or not they are acting lawfully, if a customer raises concerns about a video of young children being shared openly on social media, I expect said company to react a bit more consciously than saying "we aren't doing anything wrong so tough" but as you rightly say, the easiest thing is to vote with your feet.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    DJBenson wrote: »
    I can't be alone in thinking "probably", "perhaps", "likely" are a bit too woolly when it comes to the protection of children?

I did say I was also interested in the social side of the argument - whether or not they are acting lawfully, if a customer raises concerns about a video of young children being shared openly on social media, I expect said company to react a bit more consciously than saying "we aren't doing anything wrong so tough" but as you rightly say, the easiest thing is to vote with your feet.

Sorry i'll clarify.

There are not breaking any criminal laws as far as I can see.

There may be civil implications (but that's based upon your contract, which as I said I cant comment on because I don't have a copy)

Safeguarding rules do exist, but unless a child is subject to safeguarding interventions it's not relevant. (you haven't said if they are) - hence probably.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DJBenson wrote: »

Leaving the Lovejoyism aside, that's no problem. They certainly aren't breaking the law. (Subject to the caveats that Guest101 mentioned but it sounds unlikely they are relevant.)
    They have refused stating they are not breaking the law which it appears they are not.

Have you asked the parent who posted it originally whether they would mind taking it down, or setting it so only friends (not friends of friends) can see it? If it is deleted, and the ballet school has "shared" the post, then it will be deleted on the ballet school's page as well - the post will show a dead link.

If the ballet school downloaded the video and then re-uploaded it, then you are stuck if they won't agree to remove it, but that is very unlikely and takes a bit of time whereas sharing takes a couple of clicks.

I remember a story in the local paper a year or so ago about a dance school's teacher complaining that dirty old men were walking down the street at the time that dance classes were ending, so they could brush past the young girls walking from the door to their parents' cars in their leotards. The widespread reaction in the comments was ridicule. (I haven't been able to find the story, so either I have made it up or they deleted it so dirty old men didn't get ideas.) You could try a complaint to the local press but as the News of the World is defunct, I'm not sure this kind of thing has legs anymore.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    This isn't France, in this country what is not forbidden is permitted, not the other way round.

I'm glad somebody pointed that out.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem arises when an innocent 4 year old's dodgy relative sees the video, recognises the child can see the address of the ballet school and then knows where the child will be and can appear at the ballet school for whatever reason.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The problem arises when an innocent 4 year old's dodgy relative sees the video, recognises the child can see the address of the ballet school and then knows where the child will be and can appear at the ballet school for whatever reason.

Which has been mentioned atleast twice. However so far the OP hasn't mentioned anyone who is subject safeguarding limitations.
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    I can't speak to the data protection issues, but I think this is just p**do paranoia. The ballet practice clothing I've seen doesn't show a lot of skin and at <4 years old the kids haven't got anything that would be "revealed" through a leotard.

Quite welcome to your opinion, as am I.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    To be honest if the OP is concerned about his daughter being seen wearing "revealing" ballet clothing the only solution is to stop taking her to ballet classes. There is far more risk of a pervert leering over his daughter when all the other parents go to pick up her classmates, any one of whom could be a secret !!!!!!, than there is on Facebook.

Children are most at risk from their parents. If you are confident that you are not a !!!!!!, your children have very little to worry about.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I think this is a slightly different issue. If a parent says to the school "please can you take that video down - it places my child at risk because it may enable her abusive uncle / unstable birth mother / violent father to track her/us down" then they have actual knowledge that there is a specific risk to a particular child form that specific video or photo, and it is not unreasonable to ask them to make a change.

I know that a lot of schools do have photo policies which take this possibility into account (I have a friend who had her daughter by adoption - she was involved in helping her child's school update their photo policy to try to balance the various issues. )
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options

The 4 year-old has more chance of being hit by a meteor. Perhaps the ballet school should be relocated a mile and a half underground.

You know. Just in case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport