New Fibre Contract, but will it fix the issue?

Options
Hi,

I'm with Plusnet, throughout the 18 month contract I've never been happy with the connection and suspect traffic management or throttling is in use, or some other issue. The problem is, it is very difficult to prove.

I'd like to move to a new ISP now that we are out of contract. However, I'll only know once I am bound in another contract, if there is an issue with the performance of the new ISP.

I am not sure I can handle another round of troubleshooting, and endless calls to customer service. Who are the most reliable ISP, for a surefire, rock solid, fast connection? I am prepared to pay more for this, but of course would love a deal if the holy grail is out there.

Thanks,

T23

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 March 2018 at 9:55PM
    Options
    I had problems with ADSL,at first, which were partially sorted but the speed was not as good as with the previous provider.

However, a chance comment to someone on their community forum,resulted in one of their staff saying they had tweaked my service and it improved in days,so try commenting on their forum.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tekton23 wrote: »
    I am not sure I can handle another round of troubleshooting, and endless calls to customer service. Who are the most reliable ISP, for a surefire, rock solid, fast connection? I am prepared to pay more for this, but of course would love a deal if the holy grail is out there.
    A&A. Their tech support is in Berkshire, not Bangalore, they employ people that know about IT, networking etc to do support and are persistent at getting BT Wholesale and/or Openreach to fix stuff when needed.

Downloads are limited (I pay for 1TB / month of download and use about 10% of it). They don't do "deals" though and charge a lot more than the cheap as chips ISPs such as plusnet.

I speak as a satisfied customer over the last 15 years.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you think there are problems with your line I would go with Sky.

My household has used over 30 gigabytes since yesterday afternoon so I'd be wary of having only a terabyte limit.

We had a slightly dodgy Plusnet adsl connection that got a lot better when we switched to Sky. In the course of a year we then had two outages for line faults and both times they had an Openreach engineer to our house within 48 hours.

UK customer support that seemed to know what they were doing, no fobbing off, and a courtesy call to check up after the engineer had been. Having experienced the lengths that other ISPs will go to to avoid paying out for an engineer's visit I thought that was very good.

Then upgraded to Sky fiber which was basically rock solid for two years.

I have just switched us to BT as the cash back was too good to turn down, and BT are offering a much better router. But I!!!8217;m gambling that Sky have fixed all the line faults and I'm not going to have to deal with BT's customer support based in Bangalore etc.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT problems try the BT Members community forum as top level CS are active on it for serious problems .
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Other than A&A, an Entanet reseller,
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/isp_information.php?isp=entanet
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure