Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Up nice and early today sewing badges on the boys new blazers and watching sherlock for the ahem 3rd time :D

We are off to the inlaws today as the twins are in dire need of a haircut and mil is a hairdresser, although the boys would prefer the barbers they don't mind her doing it if its just a trim, so that's about £40 saved (everywhere local here is quite expensive I think) we are also having Sunday lunch there so no cooking today :T

I have quite enjoyed this Xmas break, the kids have gone out and about with their friends a bit more as they are older, the rest of the time we have hung out at home eating , watching films and even played the odd game. The only trips out were a meal New Year's Eve and the harry potter tour Xmas eve, so it's been a fairly cheap one compared to years gone by, when we often used to go away for a weekend before Xmas to butlins or centerparcs with them.

Tomorrow feels liken the proper start to the New Year when we all go back to school and work, so gym tomorrow morning and hopefully a much better diet than I have eaten over Xmas. I have also just realised all days since Xmas eve have bee Nsd except two when I bought the new blazers and went food shopping .:D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Tomorrow feels liken the proper start to the New Year when we all go back to school and work, so gym tomorrow morning and hopefully a much better diet than I have eaten over Xmas.

same here. Hopefully routine will bring his good friend motivation along for the ride, as I'm seriously stuck in can't be @rsed to do much of anything except eat my way through the remains of Christmas mode :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on all the NSD's.

We have recently fixed our mortgage in preparation for March. We have opted for a 5 year fix at 2.99% with fees of £499. We're currently on BR+2.09% tracker so a little higher but definitely worth the peace of mind. Like yourself we're hoping that by then we will have paid loads off it!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good luck with the diet/exercise, newgirly - please keep posting about your achievements so it'll help kick me into action! ;) I seriously need to get myself sorted, I've got so many clothes that I barely fit into and I refuse to buy more! That'd seriously mess with my MSE plans. :p
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi pearla, pavlovs and cath thanks for popping in :)

Went to the gym today and had a good workout followed by a swim, then came home and ruined it by eating loads :o

I cooked one of the massive gammon joints I bought for £5 the other day, it did 3 big dinners of gammon and chips tonight and 2 rounds a sarnies for dh's lunch tomorrow and there is a slow cooker full of stew cooking overnight plus still about 1/3 of it left.
    I also cooked 4 portions of veggie pasta to eat cold for lunch at work, it's hopefully slightly more healthy than sarnies and crisps and is ready to go in the fridge, it all takes extra time but I don't want to cut corners by buying stuff ready prepared and end up spending more money.

Back to to work tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward to it, I think it doesn't help that very penny is going towards debt repayments and not lovely treats :D I know it will feel good when it's all paid so it will be worth it in the end. I checked topcashback today and £35 is payable from the car ins so I have claimed it, it could have gone towards the debt but seen as I only have £50 on the cc and about £10 cash left until the 28th I thought its more sensible to keep hold of it for food.

Finally I got sky put back, they did a best offer of £13.50 pm for a year, for a package with slightly more than the basic one we usually have (it works out cheaper than the basic package) I'm fairly happy with that , plus it means all the sherlock episodes won't disappear off the planner which is a bonus :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • littlegreenpeas
    Options
    I love Sherlock and would marry him but Mr LGP got in first. :D
    Mortgage value was £135,000 now £43,218
    TCB total £1200
  • newgirly
    Options
    :rotfl: good I will have him if you don't want him :p
  • newgirly
    Options
    I've had a busy couple of days, not too much spending though, just a few ingredients for school cookery lessons for ds2.

Not much to report really,still in budget for jan but its early days so I guess I should be. I'm quite exhausted from work and gym this week, not used to being on my feet all day and then busy at home in the evenings, hopefully it will get better when I am more used to it and better organised.

Off to start the 2 bin bags of ironing I have to do :o
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done for sticking with the gym ng :) You're being so healthy!

How do you cook your gammon? Boil in the pan/slowcooker/roast? I have one in the freezer looking at me every time I open the door :o

Can we arrange a sharing system with Sherlock please? I only want to use and abuse him ;)

and ironing is a very dirty word ng...tut tut
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • littlegreenpeas
    Options
    Ladies

Just a suggestion, you can cook gammon in coke, its a Nigella recipe. it is the brown and fizzy stuff nothing else.:D

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

or just boil it cover it in Marmalade and roast.

If I can have Sherlock once a month for a dinner date then you can do what you want with him the rest of the time. :)

LGP
    Mortgage value was £135,000 now £43,218
    TCB total £1200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family